User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

R.E.M. - Country Feedback. One of my absolute favourite R.E.M. songs, especially the Perfect Square version. Although the lyrics take a lot to be deciphered, and considering how cryptic Michael is with his wordplay, once you pull a meaning out of the "randomness" for yourself, something special happens. At least with me anyway. The honeyed words pouring from his lips tell of all manner of personal frustrations I have been through, yet at the same time fill me with confidence that things are still there to be strived for. Peter Buck's awe inspiring guitar riff (reduced me to tears the first time I heard it) adds a delicious note to the song that takes me breath away each time. I can't help but sink into a personal reverie when I listen.

Racing Cars - They Shoot Horses, Don't They This has to be amongst my all time greats. It's one of those songs that you can't help but sing along to, and then suddenly realise through your own "mockery" how much there is to relate to. There's a definitive note of finality in the song, but at the same time the "protagonist" (for lack of a better word) has made the decision to see whatever will happen through. It's all gone wrong, but it would be a waste not to see it to its conclusion.

Fleetwood Mac - Silver Springs Okay. It's an obvious choice for me. But specifically, The Dance version is the one that inspires me the most. The lyrics are simple, yet beautiful. But it's the pace of the song that works to inspire me the most. from humble and seemingly resigned beginnings, the song gathers pace as though it's a Flower springing to life until it bursts into blossom with a beautiful crescendo triggered by full band participation. After a few awe inspiring moments of beauty whilst gazing at the flower painted with colours drawn from the beautifully scarred emotions being conveyed, it slips back into its bud and sinks into the ground again, leaving the audience yearning for another peek at the display.

Sarah McLachlan - Angels Somewhat of a cliche, I know. But the song was the first to tempt me towards Sarah and help guide me through my awkward teenage years. At my lowest ebb I could always listen to the song and picture in vivid detail my own fate should I let my abundant problems get the better of me. Thus helping me fight against an ending I refused to allow, no matter how much I longed for it in some moments.