Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peter Green song - "Refugee"??

This topic might be better-suited to the Peter Green solo forum, but it is related to his Fleetwood Mac days - and besides, this forum seems to get a lot more traffic than the solo one!

Anyway, I've seen references to a Peter Green song called "Refugee" or "The Refugee" in a couple of publications. Supposedly, this was a Peter Green composition from his days with Fleetwood Mac, but was never recorded at that time. The references I've seen state that Peter was recording this song for his first PVK album (In The Skies), and one source has Mick Fleetwood saying that this was going to be an upcoming single.

As far as I know, no song with that title was ever released. Was the title of the song changed to something else? Or did it never really exist?
Old 07-25-2004, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry, I can't help you sharkfan2000. But thanks for posting this info. I have never heard of it.

"The Apostle" may have been written in the Mac days (though I doubt it) and the title is in a way similar to "The Refugee". And it was also released as a single.

The song that we for sure know was recorded both with FM and for In The Skies, was "A Fool No More"...

It is strange that Peter Vernon Kell or somebody else didn't mention it in the Biography.

I have often wondered if there were any unfinished songs, demoes etc from Peter's last time with Fleetwood Mac. After all he and Jeremy planned a religious album, and he and Danny were going to do an instrumental LP. But the only one we know about is "Sandy Mary".

It has also been rumours (long ago - on the "Views For Greeny" discussion forum) that Peter and Duane Allman did a lot of studio recording together shortly after Peter left FM. The recordings were going to be released, but nothing happened as far as I know. I wonder what songs they recorded, if it really exists.

Let's hope that we get more previously unreleased music on the expanded "Then Play On"!!!

Daniel
Old 08-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven
"The Apostle" may have been written in the Mac days (though I doubt it) and the title is in a way similar to "The Refugee". And it was also released as a single.
Listening last night to the acoustic version of "Apostle" (the one that was released as a single and not the version that was on In the Skies), I'm inclined to agree with you that if "Refugee" did exist, the name probably changed and this is the song. The high guitar parts near the end do remind me of "Albatross" (which is the song Mick Fleetwood thought sounded a bit like "Refugee" in his mention), and the song as a whole has a similar feel to "Oh Well, Part 2" - it seems like it could possibly have been written around the same time.

Just a lot of guesswork, and I suppose that's the best we can do right now.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It just strikes me that The Apostle and The Madge Session 2 (from Vaudeville Years) are quite similar in both feel/atmosphere and structure...

The Madge Session 2 also have harmony guitar lines similar to Albatross...

?????