The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Family Man, but I imagine Tango with two Lindsey songs from OOTC instead of FF and Caroline. That would really be better!
Old 04-15-2024, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

For all of you Tango lovers. This one is for you bwboy, wherever you are.

Seven Wonders stripped down to bass and vocals. She definitely sings rainbow's edge at the end of this early version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_U3RJie0y4

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-15-2024 at 03:15 PM..
Old 04-15-2024, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The album was supposed to have 2 different producers that fell through. I wonder what the final product would have sounded like with Nile Rogers or Jason Corsaro. Nothing against Lindsey since he is an ace producer, but I wonder having another producer would have given the album a more group sound instead of a Lindsey solo album.
I honestly don't think an outside producer for "Tango in the Night" could have handled this caravan of divas.

Nile Rodges would have had trouble just getting certain members of the band to follow instructions. Lindsey would be unwilling to listen, Stevie would be missing in action, John out on a boat, and Mick in the corner snorting lines. The only grounded member was the snarky Chrstine. A top-notch, big-name producer would have resigned and walked off the job within 4 weeks of dealing with this s**t show.

By the time Greg Ladanyi came in to produce 3 years later, Lindsey was gone, and the band was in better shape.

Last edited by WatchChain; 04-15-2024 at 08:20 PM..
Old 04-16-2024, 04:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I honestly don't think an outside producer for "Tango in the Night" could have handled this caravan of divas.

Nile Rodges would have had trouble just getting certain members of the band to follow instructions. Lindsey would be unwilling to listen, Stevie would be missing in action, John out on a boat, and Mick in the corner snorting lines. The only grounded member was the snarky Chrstine. A top-notch, big-name producer would have resigned and walked off the job within 4 weeks of dealing with this s**t show.

By the time Greg Ladanyi came in to produce 3 years later, Lindsey was gone, and the band was in better shape.
All true.
I wonder if one of the reasons they recorded in Lindsey's house was to avoid renting a studio to have people not show up. Stevie was famous for that during her RAL recordings. Imagine preparing and getting everything ready and people are late or don't show up. Stevie would show up at midnight on some of her RAL recordings while her crew was waiting all day and night.
The only downside is Lindsey brought all that dysfunction right into his house. Mick said he was doing more cocaine in the Tango era than the Rumours era if you can believe that. Mick was trying to get out of bankruptcy while still doing boatloads of blow and relying on Lindsey to make a successful album to help him out (so he can do more cocaine).
I was really upset when Lindsey left and could not understand it at the time. After making a successful album why not go out on the road for a few months for the fans. But looking back its a miracle he pulled it off. I remember an early Tango interview with Lindsey where he compared the making of Tango to Tusk. He said something like many of the same features were used like him exploring new sounds and working alone without the band.
I would also add that the album cover in many ways is perfect for the album. Its my least favorite Mac album cover because it says nothing about the band. Every other cover made some sort of mysterious statement about the band including Tusk. The Tusk album cover looks like a punk rock album cover which made a statement about the album. Tango is so generic. Its one of Lindsey's favorite painters or painting. I can see a frustrated Lindsey think OMG we cant even get people here to record the album. Do we really think we could for the cover? He probably wanted no part of asking people to participate. It would have been wrong to include the members on the cover since it really was not a full band effort. The music was not really worthy of a mysterious cover either. So Lindsey staring at his wall (not the stairs) sees the perfect fix.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-16-2024 at 08:04 AM..
Old 04-16-2024, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick said he was doing more cocaine in the Tango era than the Rumours era if you can believe that. Mick was trying to get out of bankruptcy while still doing boatloads of blow and relying on Lindsey to make a successful album to help him out (so he can do more cocaine).
The year-plus making Tango I think drove Lindsey up the wall. In fact, I think Mick proved to be a far bigger downer for Lindsey than Stevie was. Stevie at least was gone for months and then popped in only for a few days. Mick was lying around Lindsey’s trailer the entire time, drunk and shirtless. With Stevie gone most of the time, Lindsey didn’t have to worry about tending to her needs, but Mick needed caretaking (or corralling) every day. I think Mick was the biggest drag on Lindsey’s emotional well-being that year, because John and Stevie were mostly out of sight, out of mind.

And sure enough, at the Long Beach Sports Arena shindig in summer 1986, Mick was bopping all over the stage during Stevie’s set but didn’t interact at all with Lindsey on his set. I think 1986 was a very, very bad year for Lindsey and Mick. When Lindsey finally decided he didn’t want to tour, I think that was a scream of frustration and disappointment at Mick, not Stevie. You can avoid Stevie on a big Mac tour, but you can’t avoid Mick — he’s making too many baked decisions that affect you (and your pocketbook). By the time the band was cementing bookings, Stevie was off coke, but Mick was not. I’m sure Lindsey knew.

The real shattered friendship through the years was always Lindsey and Mick, not Lindsey and Stevie.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-16-2024, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The year-plus making Tango I think drove Lindsey up the wall. In fact, I think Mick proved to be a far bigger downer for Lindsey than Stevie was. Stevie at least was gone for months and then popped in only for a few days. Mick was lying around Lindsey’s trailer the entire time, drunk and shirtless. With Stevie gone most of the time, Lindsey didn’t have to worry about tending to her needs, but Mick needed caretaking (or corralling) every day. I think Mick was the biggest drag on Lindsey’s emotional well-being that year, because John and Stevie were mostly out of sight, out of mind.

And sure enough, at the Long Beach Sports Arena shindig in summer 1986, Mick was bopping all over the stage during Stevie’s set but didn’t interact at all with Lindsey on his set. I think 1986 was a very, very bad year for Lindsey and Mick. When Lindsey finally decided he didn’t want to tour, I think that was a scream of frustration and disappointment at Mick, not Stevie. You can avoid Stevie on a big Mac tour, but you can’t avoid Mick — he’s making too many baked decisions that affect you (and your pocketbook). By the time the band was cementing bookings, Stevie was off coke, but Mick was not. I’m sure Lindsey knew.

The real shattered friendship through the years was always Lindsey and Mick, not Lindsey and Stevie.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing. It was Stevie that took the part of trying to convince Lindsey to tour and he blew up on her. But it was not really her that probably annoyed him the most. I think in Mick's book he mentions that Lindsey threw it in Mick's face that he "did the album, was that not enough." i.e. meaning the album is a success, Mick has money...I can't take it anymore.
If I had to insert an audio clip it would be Mick on the Tango video "time bomb of human incompetence" I suppose he was talking about himself.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-16-2024 at 01:21 PM..
Old 04-16-2024, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing. It was Stevie that took the part of trying to convince Lindsey to tour and he blew up on her. But it was not really her that probably annoyed him the most. I think in Mick's book he mentions that Lindsey threw it in Mick's face that he "did the album, was that not enough." i.e. meaning the album is a success, Mick has money...I can't take it anymore.
Did anyone mention Mick's book?

Well I didn't find that exact phrase, maybe he wrote it in his second book (that I haven't read and never will). Lindsey's first argument about not touring, that Mick mentions was:

"I'm feeling a lot of pressure," he said quietly. "I know the band should go out, but check it out from my point of view. I just finished Tango and I'm fried. I've got my own album to do. Why should I go out and kill myself on the road?"

Mick also made it clear that having the album in the top ten was not enough for his wallet.

"C'mon, Lindsey," I said. ''If you wanna leave the band, go on the road with us and then go your own way."
Lindsey shook his head. "I don't need this," he said. He made it clear he wasn't prepared to do me any favors that is, tour to help me back on my feet financially.

As I said before, I think Lindsey should have always said I'm not in the tour! to the band and not agreed to 10 weeks and then backed out. If Mick didn't lie in this chapter, Fleetwood Mac had started rehearsing, signing on readies, confirming dates with booking agents. And then he left them. That wasn't good of him either.

I'd like to ask Lindsey about those days, to know his truth. But also the past is in the past so if I had the chance to talk with him, maybe I would ask him different questions and I wouldn't bother him.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Did anyone mention Mick's book?

Well I didn't find that exact phrase, maybe he wrote it in his second book (that I haven't read and never will). Lindsey's first argument about not touring, that Mick mentions was:

"I'm feeling a lot of pressure," he said quietly. "I know the band should go out, but check it out from my point of view. I just finished Tango and I'm fried. I've got my own album to do. Why should I go out and kill myself on the road?"

Mick also made it clear that having the album in the top ten was not enough for his wallet.

"C'mon, Lindsey," I said. ''If you wanna leave the band, go on the road with us and then go your own way."
Lindsey shook his head. "I don't need this," he said. He made it clear he wasn't prepared to do me any favors that is, tour to help me back on my feet financially.

As I said before, I think Lindsey should have always said I'm not in the tour! to the band and not agreed to 10 weeks and then backed out. If Mick didn't lie in this chapter, Fleetwood Mac had started rehearsing, signing on readies, confirming dates with booking agents. And then he left them. That wasn't good of him either.

I'd like to ask Lindsey about those days, to know his truth. But also the past is in the past so if I had the chance to talk with him, maybe I would ask him different questions and I wouldn't bother him.
OMG I feel like I just watched The Ring and my phone rang and someone said 7 days. What pandora's box did I just open by mentioning Mick's book.

I am Brian and the rest of the board is Stewie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-16-2024 at 05:02 PM..
Old 04-17-2024, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
And sure enough, at the Long Beach Sports Arena shindig in summer 1986, Mick was bopping all over the stage during Stevie’s set but didn’t interact at all with Lindsey on his set.
Wait, what?

Stevie and Lindsey each played solo sets on the same bill at a Long Beach show in 1986? What was the occasion? I thought I had read it all - but I've never heard of this gig. I can imagine the two of them trying to upstage each other's set.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Tough On Toxics benefit show. The date was close to the infamous Red Rocks show so Mick was hanging out with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ctk-Ygy-0&t=2197s
Old 04-18-2024, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

wow, just when you think there were no surprises left... how did I never know about this show??

Boy her voice is SHOT on this. That Edge of 17 was just....painful to listen to.....

thanks for sharing!
Old 04-18-2024, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

such a great expression!! Love it!!!

Caravan of divas.... careening off a cliff no less....
Old 04-19-2024, 04:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
wow, just when you think there were no surprises left... how did I never know about this show??

Boy her voice is SHOT on this. That Edge of 17 was just....painful to listen to.....

thanks for sharing!
I love it when she tells the audience she asked Don to do a few more songs than just 3 and he said NO!
You gotta love the 80s and these benefit shows. They had one for every thing post Live Aid.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For all of you Tango lovers. This one is for you bwboy, wherever you are.

Seven Wonders stripped down to bass and vocals. She definitely sings rainbow's edge at the end of this early version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_U3RJie0y4
the pic of Christine on that link is sooooo gorgeous. She was at her absolute most stunning then, with her longer, fuller hair.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know this has been posted before but since we are celebrating Tango release month, this little gem should not be forgotten: filming the Big Love video.
Its the dawn of the big hair late 80s. This is the highest hair Chris has ever had, no? For Seven Wonders its a bit down from this and then straight for Little Lies. Lindsey and Mick have so much make up on even from a distance. I love the sound of Mick playing drums over the recorded track. Others can pretend to play their instruments, not Mick.
No scenes of Stevie playing that tambourine make the video. They don't look like they are enjoying the experience very much. This was their first music video together since Hold Me. Stevie's dress Gurl please! A drag queen on Rupaul's drag race would be sent home for wearing such a thing. I wonder if this dress was made especially for this video so she can pull up the sides with something to do. Its not a typical dress. It allows her to pull up the sides and dance without showing her undies. It had musical notes on it. Gurl please! When she is just standing there from the rear it looks like she would weigh over 200 pounds. She's trapped on this small stage and tries to do some sort of dance with picking up each foot a few inches. Its the goofiest thing I have ever seen. This video is so cheezy and the special effects look like something from the early 80s, not the late 80s. Does anyone know this is was a real house or just a studio lot? It looks like part of it was shot outside since John is wearing sunglasses. The best part is them at the beach and its only 2 seconds.

This is so 80s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9mq3S908WI