Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Oct.6th Daily Oklahoman article

By George Lang
The Oklahoman

Whenever I talk or write about Lindsey Buckingham, it always requires too much explanation that borders on apology. Fleetwood Mac' s retroactive cool quotient took an upswing thanks to Midlake's recent musical homage, "The Trials of Van Occupanther," but Fleetwood Mac's hipness factor generally hovers at the level of khakis and sedans. Consequently, Buckingham's reputation as one of popular music's most peculiar and fascinating talents suffered when in fact he belongs on rock 'n' roll's Mount Olympus.

"Reading the paper, saw a review / Said I was a visionary, but nobody knew. Now, that's been a problem," Buckingham sings on "Not Too Late," the first track on his first solo disc in 14 years, "Under the Skin." This kind of self-referential ego exploration might seem distasteful coming from other quarters, but Buckingham earned the right to wonder about this long ago. Part of the problem is the specter of his former band.

Under Buckingham's leadership, Fleetwood Mac made complicated music that went down easy. When he joined the group in 1975, the former blues band that had been trying to find a new direction started enjoying giant commercial hits such as "Rhiannon," "Dreams" and "Go Your Own Way," but this was not typical soft rock. Listen intently to any of Mac's hits from 1975-87, and chord progressions, counter-melodies, bass lines and production touches leap out that barely make sense. "Go Your Own Way" is especially squirrelly for such a huge hit: The rhythm and melody seem to be fighting with each other, and given the context of the song and 1977's "Rumours" album as a whole, that might have been the point.

As chief arranger for the group, Buckingham took fairly conventional song structures and wove counter-intuitive modalities into them. Stevie Nicks' "Sara," from 1979's "Tusk," has a pretty basic doo-wop melody for its chorus, but then Buckingham would snake some chords around it that were beautiful but off-the-charts eccentric. Buckingham seems to hear music differently than most of his peers, and that's obvious on "Under the Skin."

Since his last solo disc, 1992's "Out of the Cradle," Buckingham has supercharged the finger-picking style he employed on earlier songs such as "Never Going Back Again" — he plays unfiltered acoustic with flamenco-like speed, intricacy and fluidity on "Shut Us Down," "Not Too Late" and his brilliant reinterpretation of Donovan's "To Try for the Sun." Those suspecting Buckingham of overdubbing should check YouTube for the rendition of "Here Comes the Sun" he played after George Harrison's death. Purists might not like it, but his full capability is on display.

But what was so frustrating for Buckingham fans was the popular perception that he was simply Fleetwood Mac's weirdest member not wearing lace shawls or bugging out his eyes behind a drum kit. When he left the band in 1987, the band had to hire two fairly great session musicians to do his job. But proficiency is not the same as invention, and Fleetwood Mac quickly fell apart. Nicks fans always thought their favorite witch was the indispensable one, but arguably, the band needed all three of its principals to sound like Fleetwood Mac: the semi-reunion, 2003's "Say You Will," sounded tense and shrill without the warmth of Christine McVie's vocals to balance out the sharpness of Buckingham and Nicks.

Now that Fleetwood Mac seems to be history, it appears Buckingham has finally settled into a solo career where credit is clear and the full extent of his creativity can flourish without concerns about paying someone's mortgage. But "Under the Skin" isn't simply Buckingham's attempt to recalibrate his standing in rock history — he can still make music that sounds like sunshine. On the awe-inspiring closer, "Flying Down Juniper," he creates a piece of guileless California pop that rivals any of his most recognizable past confections.

The paper was right: Buckingham is a visionary. Perhaps now, everyone will finally know.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

awesome article brian, thanx for posting!!! ~
Old 10-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
By George Lang
The Oklahoman
The paper was right: Buckingham is a visionary. Perhaps now, everyone will finally know.
Dang. WORLD!!!! ARE YOU LISTENING???? Oklahoma rules. Thanks J.!

Old 10-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That is one of my favorite reviews that have come out concerning UTS!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, rereading this, it's a RAVING review.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks, Brian, fantastic review! And GAWD can I relate to the first sentence!

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 10-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
Thanks, Brian, fantastic review! And GAWD can I relate to the first sentence!
Yeah sugar, we fans suffer from that for decades, I totally connect to that sentence, too.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
Now that Fleetwood Mac seems to be history...
Jeez, I pretty much agreeing with the article, then I read that.

Now THAT is just wrong.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Now THAT is just wrong.
Yeah,that kind hit me right upside the head too.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Now THAT is just wrong.
....it is a never ending story. In my life I have read more often that FM did not exist then that they did. Still, a very good article. And one without major mistakes is rarely seen.