User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Bob, let's hope for many more years, for you and the rest of the Mac family!

Here Here!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Here's a recent live clip.

Whoever filmed that has absolutely no camera skills. Oh well.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was shocked when I heard. 64 is way too young! RIP Bob, we'll never forget you!

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Here's Weston with the Kinetic

Thank you for this! It might be early in Weston's career but that stinging guitar sound is still there. Excellent.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Thank you for this! It might be early in Weston's career but that stinging guitar sound is still there. Excellent.
That sure was a young Bob Weston. Any chance of retrieving audio/video material by The Kinetic. Sounds very nice 60's music to my ears. Who else was in this band?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
That sure was a young Bob Weston. Any chance of retrieving audio/video material by The Kinetic. Sounds very nice 60's music to my ears. Who else was in this band?
The only other thing I've seen on YouTube is this:

I use THIS SITE to convert audios to mp3.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Times Series (UK)
http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/9...Mac_guitarist/

By Natalie O'Neill
Tributes paid to ex-Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Weston4:10pm Friday 13th January 2012

HEARTFELT tributes have been paid to ex-Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Weston who has died aged 64.

Bob, who was a member of the band in the Seventies, was found dead at his home in Brent Cross on January, 3.

Musician and electronics engineer, Steve Fairhead first met Bob in the early Nineties when they both lived in Brighton.

Speaking to the Times Series Mr Fairhead said: “Bob came to live with my family for about nine months in 2007. My wife was a little bit worried because she didn’t know him terribly well, and she thought he might be this arrogant ex-rock star. But he charmed the socks off her and they winded up being firm friends. Bob was an absolute gentleman.

“I can’t get my head round the idea he’s gone – I keep expecting to bump into him or see him at the weekend.

“We shared a daft sense of humour and a sense of the absurd. He was gregarious and he was compassionate. He will definitely be missed – more than missed – my hearts broken.”

Photographer Fin Costello first met Bob when he was photographing Fleetwood Mac in London in the early Seventies.

He said: “He was seen as the wunderkind of the time and much talked about.

“He was one of the great underrated guitarists of his time and great company as well. Lots of Rock and Roll tales. He and I had travelled the same road for many years so the sessions were long and entertaining.”

Both Mr Fairhead and Mr Costello have received many emails mourning the loss of Bob.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

His death has received a TON of press. My heart goes out to all who loved and respected Mr. Weston.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard about it last night- I'm more of a later era FM fan but there's plenty of the old stuff I love.

The Welch Era is a fun era for me, with bits of Christine, and mellow Welch stuff. I like a lot of the guitar work, e.g. Bare Trees, and Weston was always a great to me, although Lindsey and Kirwan will always be my fave FM guitarists.

I'm saddened too. From all accounts he was a great guy. I hope he's having a great time wherever he is and he somehow feels all the great energy and memories about his life that's pouring out, as Viv alluded to.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just heard about this now. My heart goes out to his family at this difficult time!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...c-6287377.html
Bob Weston: Early '70s guitarist with Fleetwood Mac

Pierre Perrone Monday 09 January 2012

Weston, who was left-handed but played right-handed, attributed his distinctive style to the fact that he played the violin first, switching to the guitar when he was 12.
I an fascinated by this phenominon as I am also left handed but play right handed guitars. Though I don't consider my self in the same league as them, obviously ,so do Hughie Morgan, Noel Gallagher and Steve Cropper (does anyone know whether Peter Green might be left handed ?). In fact ,I cannot understand why a right handed person uses their precision hand -the one used for writing -to do the workman like job of strumming ,rather than the delicate work of fretting the notes!,But that's how it's evolved
RIP Bob
Old 02-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Australian Eye, January 10, 2012
http://www.theaustralianeye.com/news...i35815012.html

By Nigel Shelbourne

January 10, 2012

WESTON-OBIT:

Bob Weston

Lead guitarist with Fleetwood Mac whose ill-timed affair on an American tour cost him fame and fortune

Daily Telegraph obituary

Bob Weston, who has died aged 64, played lead guitar with Fleetwood Mac in the early 1970s, but lasted only a year before being unceremoniously sacked for having an affair with Mick Fleetwood’s wife; he thus missed out on the opportunity to feature in what became the most commercially successful rock group of the era.

Weston’s fall from grace was one of the more pedestrian dramas to have afflicted the band’s line-up over the years. Named after the drummer, Mick Fleetwood, and bass guitarist John McVie, Fleetwood Mac initially featured the great Peter Green on lead guitar, and had its first No 1 single in 1969 with Albatross.

But Green began to binge on LSD, and left the band in 1970; the following year, during an American tour, his fellow guitarist Jeremy Spencer walked out of his hotel in Los Angeles to go shopping and never returned – he had joined a religious group called The Children of God. A third guitarist, Danny Kirwan, was fired in autumn 1972, to be replaced by Weston.

Weston featured on the album Penguin (1973), playing lead guitar alongside Bob Welch. He also sang with Christine McVie on Did You Ever Love Me, and wrote the instrumental Caught in the Rain. On the album Mystery to Me, he co-wrote the track Forever.

It was while the band was touring America in late 1973 that Weston was discovered to be having an affair with Mick Fleetwood’s wife, Jenny Boyd. After the band’s performance at Lincoln, Nebraska, Weston was fired and the remainder of the tour cancelled. Weston later recalled: “I got a phone call early one morning, about eight. I hadn’t even had a cup of tea. Next thing, there’s a knock at the door, and the entire road crew was standing there. They were all looking daggers at me, very menacing, all broken noses and scars… It was horrible seeing all those lads with whom I’d worked so happily emanating such a lot of hostility towards me.” The group’s manager, Clifford Davis, attempted to recruit an entirely new set of musicians to complete the tour under the name Fleetwood Mac, leading to a prolonged legal wrangle.

With both Weston and Welch gone (Welch left in December 1974), Fleetwood, McVie and McVie’s wife Christine Perfect then recruited Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks to form the line-up that in 1977 would create the album Rumours, which sold more than 40 million copies.

Weston, meanwhile, picked up his career and toured with the blues veteran Alexis Korner. He also featured on the album Say It Ain’t So (1975) by Murray Head, star of Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar.

Robert Joseph Weston was born in Plymouth on November 1 1947. Initially he was taught violin, but at the age of 12 decided to switch to guitar. Arriving in London in the mid-Sixties, he joined a group called The Kinetic, which recorded an album and supported Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix at concerts in France. In 1970 Weston became part of the backing group of the blues singer Long John Baldry, touring Europe and the United States (sometimes appearing on the same bill as Fleetwood Mac) as well as playing on Baldry’s album Everything Stops for Tea (1972).

Weston made three solo albums, Nightlight (1980), Studio Picks (1981) and There’s a Heaven (1999). Latterly he had written and arranged music for film and television.

The dramas surrounding Fleetwood Mac did not end with Weston’s departure. Christine McVie had affairs with the band’s lighting director and the Beach Boy Dennis Wilson; Stevie Nicks, meanwhile, had affairs with both Joe Walsh and Don Henley of The Eagles. John McVie suffered an alcohol-induced seizure and was arrested for possession of firearms.

Mick Fleetwood went bankrupt after a series of disastrous property ventures; he and Jenny Boyd divorced, remarried, then divorced again.

Bob Weston, who had been due to record with the former Rolling Stone Mick Taylor, was found dead in his London flat by the police after friends had been unable to contact him for several days. A post-mortem revealed that he died from a gastrointestinal haemorrhage.

Bob Weston, born November 1 1947, found dead on January 3 2012
Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Latterly he had written and arranged music for film and television.
I know Bob spoke of these things in his Q&A and said there weren't really soundtracks per se available of these but I wish we could at least find out the names of the shows/movies he did music for...

John
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
I know Bob spoke of these things in his Q&A and said there weren't really soundtracks per se available of these but I wish we could at least find out the names of the shows/movies he did music for...

John
It is even harder to find anything on Bob Weston on the net due to at least one other Bob Weston being quite productive.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
It is even harder to find anything on Bob Weston on the net due to at least one other Bob Weston being quite productive.
Agreed, that Shellac/engineer guy really gets around!

John