User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Talking Sugar Daddy alternative version

This version has so many goodies. First of all I love that photo on this video. Chris looks so royal and her sense of humor comes through. Waddy plays the guitar solo on the White album, no? This version has a different guitar solo and it sounds like Lindsey's playing. Anyone know if this is him playing? I love the car honking sound after she sings limousine. And Stevie backs Chris on different parts compared to the album version. Lots of little gems scattered through this alternative version.

Edit: Its a shame this gem has never been played live in front of an audience. I just realized today is May 11. It was 40 years ago tonight that I saw Chris on her solo tour. Those incredible moments in your life stay with you and you never forget the date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ1A...Y558dA&index=2

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-11-2024 at 06:50 AM..
Old 05-11-2024, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never get the hate I sometimes hear for this song (and also sometimes for Warm Ways). Christine's clearly having fun, and her lovely bluesy voice can't be faulted. It reminds me very much of Remember Me
Old 05-11-2024, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Waddy plays the guitar solo on the White album, no? This version has a different guitar solo and it sounds like Lindsey's playing. Anyone know if this is him playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ1A...Y558dA&index=2
"Waddy" was only ever credited with the rhythm guitar according to the album notes. The solo sure sounds like Lindsey to me, too.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 05-11-2024 at 05:10 PM..
Old 05-11-2024, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

who's the Brit saying "hello darling" 3/4 of the way through?
Old 05-11-2024, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
who's the Brit saying "hello darling" 3/4 of the way through?
Thats Mick
Old 05-11-2024, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Thats Mick

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool version. It's a bit similar to the early version included in the Deluxe White Album edition, but Stevie does not sings on it, and there's no honking sound.

Yes I've read many people don't like this song, but I find it very cool. I'm not a Blues expert so I was surprised Mick called it a blues song.

John and Chris had, in the meantime, moved out to the beach, a three-room apartment in Malibu, where Christine set about writing her songs for the next Fleetwood Mac album. She wrote "Over My Head" and "Say You Love Me" there, on an old portable Hohner electric piano, overlooking the Pacific Ocean blue. She had two other strong tunes as well, the lover's lullaby "Warm Ways" and a blues called "Sugar Daddy." I first heard these when I went over to their place the day that Stevie and Lindsey brought their demo tapes over for a listen. It was clear to us that their songs were tremendous, and had already been completely worked out.

I like to listen the instrumental version from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUg2-w1e_Q
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Cool version. It's a bit similar to the early version included in the Deluxe White Album edition, but Stevie does not sings on it, and there's no honking sound.

Yes I've read many people don't like this song, but I find it very cool. I'm not a Blues expert so I was surprised Mick called it a blues song.

John and Chris had, in the meantime, moved out to the beach, a three-room apartment in Malibu, where Christine set about writing her songs for the next Fleetwood Mac album. She wrote "Over My Head" and "Say You Love Me" there, on an old portable Hohner electric piano, overlooking the Pacific Ocean blue. She had two other strong tunes as well, the lover's lullaby "Warm Ways" and a blues called "Sugar Daddy." I first heard these when I went over to their place the day that Stevie and Lindsey brought their demo tapes over for a listen. It was clear to us that their songs were tremendous, and had already been completely worked out.

I've still got that book lube handy.....
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I've still got that book lube handy.....
For paperback or hardcover?
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You forgot the part when Stevie consults the Ouija board and she got a little possessed and kept saying "I know what it sounds like" over and over until Lindsey splashed her down with tequila.
What a wicked band indeed!
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For paperback or hardcover?
Hardback.

And it's going in sideways.
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

I think calling it three rooms was being generous lol. Chris has said it was basically one room with a balcony, and a tiny little alcove in the back which was their bedroom, where she kept her Hohner. being on the ocean must have been very inspirational though...

btw i love that demo!!!

--Lis
Old Today, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Very cool! I don't remember reading that. I do remember the McVie Malibu place, back at that time.
Old Today, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
I think calling it three rooms was being generous lol. Chris has said it was basically one room with a balcony, and a tiny little alcove in the back which was their bedroom, where she kept her Hohner. being on the ocean must have been very inspirational though...

btw i love that demo!!!

--Lis
Yea, something didn't sit right with me when I read "3" rooms.