Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Registered

Default Sharon & Lori?

I love how Stevie has always said that they were a part of her music and have been with her sinse the beginining! Which is true! A few things I wanted to ask? Who do you like 'Vocally'?

I also see that when she thanked them on the new CD that she told Lori "Thank You for being my singing partner" . I've always noticed Sharon's vocals on songs more than Lori, over the years like with 'Edge of Seventeen' & 'Stand Back'.

Is there any songs that Lori's voice stands out?

I think the best vocal ever from her backup singers was 'Nightbird' with Sandy Stewart.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is there any songs that Lori's voice stands out?
There's this live version of Nightbird with Lori taking over Sandy Stewart's part. It rocks.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
There's this live version of Nightbird with Lori taking over Sandy Stewart's part. It rocks.
That's true but I mean on record.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that's maybe because Sharon was already a professional singer when Stevie met her in '78, Stevie knew Lori since the BuckinghamNicks days, but she didn't start singing untill Stevie needed an extra background singer for the Bella Donna recordings. Maybe Lori just isn't as confident as Sharon and that's why Sharon has more prominent vocals parts?

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 05-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I often think they're both pushed a bit too far down in the mix for my ears to really hear what they're doing. They kind of merge into a sort of cushion-y background. Pleasant, but a bit generic.

I agree about that Nightbird clip, though. It's nice. One of my favourites.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i only noticed them a little bit listening to iyd online. are they on most of the songs? can't wait to get the cd in the mail, if it ever comes! i haven't listened to the online stream again because i really want to hear it well.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Ledgie

Smile

I think their vocals were much more prominent in the early days for sure. I always recognize Sharon's Vocals but not Lori's. I think Sharon's voice is more unique and therefore more recognizable. Stevie has had many back up singers (Jana, Marilyn, Lyza, Sara, Alicia, etc, etc) but I'm glad that Stevie likes to point out and acknowledge how special the two are. In Stevie's IYD liner notes she thanks Scott Campbell and makes him an honorary one of "the girls". I admit I am jealous. -Mark
Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb On Tour

I remember during the Wild Heart Tour...They used to almost screech...especially Stand Back...Edge Of 17.

Sharon can belt out the high parts...

Lori said she was never a lead singer...she always fell into harmony.
Except for the Leather and Lace Boot...I never heard Sharon sing alone...except for her parts in concert.

Lori I've only heard in the 2 live versions of Nightbird...and still there were the 2 other back up singers...so its hard to tell.

On the Red Rocks Video...when Stevie is doing the Beauty and the Beast wail...if you look Lori has a spotlight on her alone as she's wailting with Stevie.

I'm the odd type...I get very into back up singers...or other stuff in life that may often go unnoticed.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always love Stevie's girls loud in the background and its like old classic country music songs sound like this one from 1977 .

Dottsy from the Porter Wagoner show.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-08-2016, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

No
But I always thought Stevie or Christine should have gotten the role of Tina Turner in the Brian Adams song "Its only love"
Old 07-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good question!

I've never been able to fully hear them on Stevie's albums, so I really can't form an honest opinions on their vocal contributions.

However, as others have said on this post, that particular live performance of Nightbird is excellent!
Old 07-09-2016, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

the dressing room video of Wild Heart is Stevie and Lori and you can hear Lori very clearly; she's amazing
Old 07-09-2016, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
Good question!

I've never been able to fully hear them on Stevie's albums, so I really can't form an honest opinions on their vocal contributions.

However, as others have said on this post, that particular live performance of Nightbird is excellent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
the dressing room video of Wild Heart is Stevie and Lori and you can hear Lori very clearly; she's amazing
I love the Nightbird performance along with the dressingroom video.Also can add the L&L without Don with the girls with Stevie.I wish she done L&L this way when she had no guy on tour to do it with her.It gives the girls a chance to step forward to be seen .Steve Real did a great job on it.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 07-09-2016 at 01:25 AM..
Old 07-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There was talk of a Stevie and Bryan Ferry duet in the mid 80s..that I would have loved to hear.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
I think that's maybe because Sharon was already a professional singer when Stevie met her in '78, Stevie knew Lori since the BuckinghamNicks days, but she didn't start singing untill Stevie needed an extra background singer for the Bella Donna recordings. Maybe Lori just isn't as confident as Sharon and that's why Sharon has more prominent vocals parts?
I'm not sure it's fair to say Lori wasn't a 'professional' singer... her husband was a producer (Gordon Perry) and though I don't know anything about how they met, I'd be willing to bet they met through studio work (in other words, she was a studio backup singer) and if not I'd bet he used her as a backup singer after they met... In other words, I think she was working as a singer professionally. I'd love to know if anyone really knows.

As for Sharon, she was all of 20 or 21 when she met Stevie (the RS cover story on FM during Tusk tour rehearsals says Sharon was 22 then, and she'd already known Stevie for a couple years-- the white door on the back cover of the John Stewart album Bombs Away Dream Babies was the door to the room in Stevie's house that Sharon moved into when she left Hawaii and came to LA-- and that album came out in 1979 but took longer to record). She was singing with a local band in a club in Hawaii when she met Stevie, so she didn't exactly have a solidly established signing career.