Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default crescent moon

I have heard many stories behind why she wears it and has given it to many people as gifts but does anyone know what meaning it has to stevie and why she does give it to many people?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnrose View Post
I have heard many stories behind why she wears it and has given it to many people as gifts but does anyone know what meaning it has to stevie and why she does give it to many people?
The lady feels like the moon that she loves.

Don't you know that the stars are a part of us?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's see, who else wore one?

Sharon
Lori
Jimmy Iovine

Did Sandy Stewart sport a crescent? Stevie said that her crescent was made of 22kt gold, which is not very commonly worn here in the US (but wildly popular in Asia). I have several pieces of 22kt jewelry given to me by my ex, who was from Sri Lanka. It's yellow gleam is stunning. But, it scratches easy.

I Googled the astrological sign Gemini, thinking there was a moon connection with Stevie's sign. But there does not appear to be. I guess she just likes it. In my Bella Donna video thingie I did, I suggested that the moon (being white) represents cocaine. LOL, just a theory!

Oh, and Linda Ronstadt wore a cresent moon in at least one old photo I've seen of her, though she orbited a completely seperate sphere than Stevie did. I don't know if they were even friendly with each other, or knew each other. So maybe it was just a 70's California thing.

Last edited by petep9000; 12-03-2008 at 10:55 AM..
Old 12-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Thanks
The crescent moon sybolizes many things. But Stevie was fascinated by mythology, and pagan beliefs during the 70s. She is a self confessed Anglophile. For thousands of years there have been pagan moon worshippers. If she's that big of an Anglophile, she surely knows all about Glastonbury, and the spirituality movements there. I suspect Stevie studied about all of this back then... she boned up on Welsh mythology, and ancient spirituality, and wrote about a lot of it in her songs. I'm guessing that's why she adopted the crescent moon. It's beautiful, mystical, and she probably felt like she identified with the ancient pagans, who above all, loved the earth, and the beauty of life, and were individuals.

Back then, she also gave crescent moons to her closest friends and family as gifts, and some of her friends even had crescent moon tattoos made. I think if Stevie gave you one, it meant you were very dear to her, or she thought of you as an individual stand out person, like herself.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sister... Brother... Sister... Brother.... of the Moon!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Danny Goldberg's explanation

Danny Goldberg gives us our answer in his new book Bumping Into Geniuses: My Life in the Rock and Roll Business.
You can read an excerpt on Stevie-Nicks.Info: http://stevie-nicks.info/index.php?o...ures&Itemid=29

But here is the part about the crescent moon necklaces:

"Thus, according to Stevie, Herbie Worthington wasn’t just a photographer, he was a genius. She wanted as many friends as possible in the studio to listen to her new songs or listen to her new ideas, and in return she made everyone around her feel that somehow we were part of what she did. Stevie peered at whomever she was talking to with an uncommon intensity (in part because her contact lenses did not totally compensate for her farsightedness). She spoke in an intense quiet cadence that conveyed the idea that whatever topic she was obsessed with at the moment was of transcendent importance. But she was also at others’ jokes, and created the illusion that everyone in her entourage was somehow her equal.

Stevie had asked a local jeweler to create several dozen crescent moons out of eighteen-carat gold, which she presented to her close friends with a solemnity like that of an initiation. I was deeply touched that night she gave me one and although I had not ever worn jewelry before and haven’t since, I bought a chain and wore it around my neck for several years."

"By this time Stevie and her piano had moved to a duplex condo on the beach in Marina del Rey. I drove Jimmy out there. At a certain point in the evening she took him for a walk on the beach and when they came back a few hours later it had been decided that he would produce her first solo album. A week later Jimmy had moved in and would be her boyfriend as well as her producer for the next year.

Iovine’s streetwise Brooklyn persona added a macho presence to Stevie’s entourage. One of Stevie’s greatest compliments to a person she considered soulful was to refer to them as “very Rhiannon.” Jimmy tended to mock a lot of the mystical affect and told me emphatically, “I am not very Rhiannon.” He pointedly refused to wear on of the golden moons. But he shared with her a vision of the exquisite balance between Stevie’s idiosyncratic rock and roll self-expression and major superstar success. Most of the tracks were recorded with the best L.A. session guys, including Waddy Wachtel on guitar and Russ Kunkel on drums. It was Kunkel who came up with the groove on “Edge of Seventeen.” The song title had come about when Jane Petty told Stevie in her southern accent that she had met Tom at the “age of seventeen” and Stevie misheard it as “edge,” and then fell in love with the resultant phrase. Henley agreed to re-sing “Leather and Lace.” Stevie maintained her sense of female fairy-tale rock and roll world by adding her friends Lori Perry and Sharon Celani as background singers on most of the album and heavily featuring them on the artwork."
Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
The crescent moon sybolizes many things. But Stevie was fascinated by mythology, and pagan beliefs during the 70s. She is a self confessed Anglophile. For thousands of years there have been pagan moon worshippers. If she's that big of an Anglophile, she surely knows all about Glastonbury, and the spirituality movements there. I suspect Stevie studied about all of this back then... she boned up on Welsh mythology, and ancient spirituality, and wrote about a lot of it in her songs. I'm guessing that's why she adopted the crescent moon. It's beautiful, mystical, and she probably felt like she identified with the ancient pagans, who above all, loved the earth, and the beauty of life, and were individuals.

Back then, she also gave crescent moons to her closest friends and family as gifts, and some of her friends even had crescent moon tattoos made. I think if Stevie gave you one, it meant you were very dear to her, or she thought of you as an individual stand out person, like herself.
Also, A symbol of a crescent moon is a symbol of a work in progress building towards your brightest potential. When the points face towards the left just like the waxing moon in the night sky when a crescent is building toward a shining light in the darkness as a full moon. To the right is to be shrouded or cloaked like the waning crescent that is moving toward a new moon which is invisible.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Let's see, who else wore one?

Sharon
Lori
Jimmy Iovine
Figure Skater Tai Babilonia

Her skating partner was injured during their warm-up for the 1980 Olympics, and they had to withdraw. She surmised that it was because she wasn't wearing the pendant at the time, which otherwise she always wore.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's also used as a wiccan symbol and can represent the crone or older woman among other things (it's all about which way the tips are turned).

Also, ancient hunters and gatherers believed that out of darkness came light ("Come in from the darkness") and that the moon gave rise to the sun. Ancient Greece, Egypt, etc. believed the crescent moon was representative of both the masculine and feminine. The crescent moon is a symbol of transition and transformation (think of the moon and i's many cycles: full, half, crescent, etc.)

And it obviously has religious overtones and implications when combined with a star symbol as seen in the flags of many Muslim countries.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Thank you

I have always thought it to me to mean a symbol of a work in progress and a light through life, I was just very curious why she was so mystified by it, great responses, thanks. Its on my xmas list
Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Thanks
That was so seventies! Does she still do that??
Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Not sure how 70's 18 ct gold is in today's economy, but in 2000 the ice skater Tai Babilonia was backstage following a Millenium show, per the Nicks Fix:

Old 12-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

ABSOLUTELY!! She's given two of my friends their moons. Ash got hers when Stevie toured with Don Henley. She also gave one to Cory and Jana.

Mick also got one and used to wear it.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileAtYou View Post
Jimmy tended to mock a lot of the mystical affect and told me emphatically, “I am not very Rhiannon.” He pointedly refused to wear on of the golden moons.

Not Quite. He wore it. Just not as openly as the others.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anyone know where I can get a good quality one? I have been wanting one for a while now, but never really looked into it.