User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default R.E.M Are Real Savage Like!

In a book I bought today (1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die by Tony Visconti and Robert Dimery) there was a small passage on Tusk. In a small vignette underneath the main picture (do you really need to know that lol?) it stated that both Camper Van Beethoven and R.E.M have covered the song, the latter in 1991. I need to know two things. Firstly, did this really happen? Secondly, does anybody have a copy of the song or have a link to somewhere I could listen to their version of it? Because as some of you know I am just as passionate about my beloved R.E.M. as I am about Fleetwood Mac, and the idea of R.E.M. covering a Mac song simply blows my mind

Have Fleetwood Mac/Stevie/Lindsey ever covered an R.E.M. song?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's true, I once heard it in a very bad quality. Didn't save it, sorry.

Lindsey once played the lead solo in Everybody Hurts on stage with REM in Northern California or LA-area.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
It's true, I once heard it in a very bad quality. Didn't save it, sorry.

Lindsey once played the lead solo in Everybody Hurts on stage with REM in Northern California or LA-area.
That's a shame. What did you think of it when you heard it?

I did hear about Lindsey playing lead guitar for Everybody Hurts, and I have been trying unsuccessfully since then to hear it. It's quite annoying how the most interesting things these people do only exist in rumours.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the only thing I've heard of REM playing Tusk is a very casual & clumsy rendition of it that sounds almost like screwing around at a tour rehearsal or a studio session. It's not worth a damn. To tell you the truth, it makes REM sound like a band of not-very-technically-able rock musicians. It's at the level of a neighborhood garage band, or weekend warriors.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
That's a shame. What did you think of it when you heard it?

I did hear about Lindsey playing lead guitar for Everybody Hurts, and I have been trying unsuccessfully since then to hear it. It's quite annoying how the most interesting things these people do only exist in rumours.
Check your PMs.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

REM is one of my favorite bands. I became a fan early on, when they were just starting out. I was in college, and they were our little secret band, unknown to the masses until they signed with Warner Brothers. Then it went from seeing them in intimate settings to huge stadiums. I never knew they covered Tusk! Is there an audio of it?

Did you know that Camper Van Beethoven not only covered the song Tusk, they covered the entire album? They became very intrigued by the album and attempted to cover all the songs (but no one wanted to do Stevie's songs!). Years later they released it. It mimicks the original cover, but instead of a dog attacking the shoe, it's some sort of rodent with horns -- I have no idea what it is, but it looks nasty. Some of the songs are okay, but some are hard to listen to, after all, they were just amusing themselves, with no intentions of releasing it.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-02-2011 at 11:06 PM..