User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Remembering 9/11

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4234422.stm

A remembrance ceremony will take place at New York's World Trade Center site to mark the fourth anniversary of the 11 September 2001 attacks.

The names of the 2,749 victims of the twin towers attack will be read out by their brothers and sisters.

The ceremony will pause for a minute's silence at 0846 (1246 GMT) when the first plane hit the north tower.

At that precise time, some 300 New York police officers on duty in New Orleans will also mark the event.

After a memorial service held in the disaster zone, the officers - all volunteers - will return to patrolling the French Quarter and other districts of New Orleans.

Solidarity

In New York, the reading of the names of the 11 September victims will be interrupted for three more pauses to mark the south tower attack, and the collapse of both towers.

At sunset, two shafts of light representing the twin towers will be beamed into the night sky from lower Manhattan.

Four years after the attacks, construction work is beginning at Ground Zero on the transportation hub which will one day bring thousands of visitors to the site.

The Freedom Tower, the commercial building which has been redesigned to meet concerns about its security, is due to open in 2011.

The actual memorial to the victims is meant to be completed in four years' time.

There is currently a controversy about the International Freedom Center which is planned for the site.

Some families feel political discussions about the nature of freedom could detract from the memory of those who died, reports the BBC's Laura Trevelyan from New York.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's hard to believe it's been four years already. My thoughts are with the victims' families.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It really is sad. They're been reading names for like 4 hours, and they're only on the O's
Old 09-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
It's hard to believe it's been four years already. My thoughts are with the victims' families.

I know...it just feels like yesterday. Well...last month at least..
Old 09-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

I live just a few blocks from where the towers used to be ..... i came to school two years after, & there was still dust & debris everywhere. My heart goes out to these families....
Old 09-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
Some families feel political discussions about the nature of freedom could detract from the memory of those who died, reports the BBC's Laura Trevelyan from New York.
Unfortunately, no event, no sacrifice, no catastrophe is safe from the firestorm of politicking that inevitably rages afterward.

There is no conceivable occurrence anywhere whose sacredness would render it untouchable by the politicos & their plebs. Every death is fodder for the political machinery, oiled by the media.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is hard to believe it has been 4 yrs. I remember it clear as day seeing/hearing about it for the first time, I suppose I will remember for the rest of my life. It will be one of those moments (similar to when everyone found out JFK died) that you always remember where you were and what you were doing when you first heard.

I wish all the families the best..
Old 09-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation The sad thing is...

if you were to go to the Murrah National Monument in downtown OKC today you will see several NYPD/NYFD walking about as they have the past 3 years on this date (They have started to make the yearly trip from NYC to OKC starting in 2002...I remember Deb & myself were at the Murrah site on the afternoon of 9/12/2001 giving blood, And being amazed at how empty the site was, That was the only day I recall no one was out and about).

I think the NYPD/NYFD find strength with the OKC PD & FD & the survivors knowing they once had to live through a similar hell.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just rewatched the INSIDE: 911 on NGE. My heart breaks all over again for all those who died and those who lost loved ones! My God be with them all! My heart always goes out to Barbara Olson (Conservative Author/Activist) who lost her life in Flight 77 which hit the pentagon. She had planned to take a different flight, but she changed it at the last minute so that she could be with her husband on his birthday.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation The part of that show...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
I just rewatched the INSIDE: 911 on NGE. My heart breaks all over again for all those who died and those who lost loved ones!
I always find disturbing is the very beginning, with the meeting of all these muslims leaders (Including those with extremist views) who wanted to start "jihad on the US"...

Kinda strange that the national TV networks never ever mentioned this before, Even though it was widely reported here in OKC since it occurred in OKC at the Myriad Convention Center...That one reporter who saw for his own eyes what was being discussed was in for a rude awakening.

Oh, Tonight on the Discovery Channel is the premiere of "'The Flight That Fought Back'-A minute-by-minute account reveals heroic acts that took place aboard Flight 93 on Sept.11,2001".

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 09-11-2005 at 04:28 PM..
Old 09-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Like everyone else, I'll be haunted by the events of 9/11/01 for the rest of my days.
My heart goes out to the families and loved ones of all those who died that day, and I can only hope that someday people will learn how to co-exist without all of the hatred and jealousy and fighting.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.fdnylodd.com/BloodofHeroes.html

NEVER FORGET!
Old 09-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Red white and blue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Like everyone else, I'll be haunted by the events of 9/11/01 for the rest of my days.
My heart goes out to the families and loved ones of all those who died that day, and I can only hope that someday people will learn how to co-exist without all of the hatred and jealousy and fighting.

Well said Johnny...my heart still breaks as well.

I work in an elementary school (grades K- 5), and each morning we pick 2 children to say the "Pledge of Allegience" over the loudspeaker Everyone stands for the pledge, then, most of the adults are silent, placing their hand over their hearts as the children recite the famous lines...
But I,
Recite along with them,
Each and every day.
(and in the back of my mind, I still see haunting images of 9/11)

I am proud to Pledge Allegience to this flag and country.
More so than ever.

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 09-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
Oh, Tonight on the Discovery Channel is the premiere of "'The Flight That Fought Back'-A minute-by-minute account reveals heroic acts that took place aboard Flight 93 on Sept.11,2001".
I am watching this now - they just aired the actual recording from the cockpit when the highjackers took over the plane. Chilling . . .

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 09-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Just finished watching it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4stevie
I am watching this now - they just aired the actual recording from the cockpit when the highjackers took over the plane. Chilling . . .
and it was brutal...That had to be the best doctumentary I have seen in regards to 9/11