The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Mabel Normand herself along with Carole Lombard.
Mabel Normand sounds great even as she fly's through the words.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-05-2015, 05:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
Great thread.....I love Stevie and all her faults, but here are a few of my unpopular opinions:

1. Stevie is good songwriter, but she has "borrowed" many of her best lines from the poetry and prose of other people—without giving proper credit.

2. Stevie isn't that great live anymore. Everything is choreographed. No spontaneity. Same setlist year after year. Boring.

3. Stevie isn't the Queen of Rock. That title belongs to Joan Jett. She may not share Stevie's popularity, but she's a better performer and she truly lives and breathes rock 'n' roll. Just watch her recent induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

4. Stevie hasn't written a truly great song since "Wild Heart."

5. Stevie is prone to exaggeration. What would be considered normal, minor pain and discomfort for us regular folks is seen as traumatic and earth-shattering in Stevie's world.

6. Dave Stewart coddles Stevie too much and has fostered and encouraged her lazy songwriting in recent years.

Yikes! I feel horrible even writing these things....But there it is.....
No, it belongs to Janis Joplin
Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought Pat Benetar is the queen of rock.Linda Ronstadt falls into the same dept too.
I like Joan Jett but Stevie should take the honors .

If Stevie told FM to go their own way."Pun intended" after the Tusk album and focus on her solo works.She probably be inducted in the R&R hall a fame a while ago.

I'm so happy that Linda got in there which was way over due.

The way things look .Taylor Swift probably get in there before Stevie herself.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow alot of great posts for this , I did agree with some of them as well. I'll give this a try :

1/Stevie has an inflated opinion of herself, and I think that Dave Stewart has helped this along.
2/I haven't seen Stevie or Mac live in sometime , Stevie since 08 Mac since 03. I agreed with some posters here. Same tired rundown set list and movements, boring outfits. I can watch on YouTube etc. Why spend all that money anymore. I can see/hear it in my own home.
3/I do LOVE BD/WH/Mirror--probably the most of her solo LP's. SA is OK better than RAL to me. I really haven't listened much to IYD or 24 K Gold that much. Did like the Box Set Enchanted but that's not something new. TISL is OK as well but hate the LP cover. Some outtake photos are much better than what is used.
4/ I love Stevie's voice 77-early 84 , haven't cared for it much really after that. Though I did LOVE the Street Angel tour. Enchanted as well Live, at least the set lists were different. Also loved the short tour with Don Henley.
5/I wished Stevie had released more LP's but other issue's got in the way (drugs etc).
6/I also think Stevie should re-issue all her catalog with outtakes etc. Or do large box sets for EACH solo record with outtakes/rare photos --this needs to be like a special BOOK you can order. With maybe 4 cds each as well as a DVD, need to have that HBO special 'official' re-issued again with all the songs from that concert. This could be done for ALL her solo LP's to current with extras you can order. Like posters and shirts .
7/I agree her brother doesn't know how to market items , but like someone posted --I do understand the family loyalty issue.
8/I really think Stevie is tired of all of 'this' and really wants to stop but doesn't know how or can't because so many people depend on her (family/employee's etc.).
9/I wish she cared as much as us fans do, but well maybe she does but it just doesn't appear so. Actions do speak louder than words. Even though I appreciate the releasing of 24 K Gold , I guess I'll always wish for something better, more special than can be done. Or that's possible. I still love some of the original outtakes (songs) etc. The Polaroid idea was nice BUT I would've LOVED to have seen more outtakes done from the LP sessions when these songs would've been recorded for. It would've been nice.
10/ I can't listen to Edge of 17 anymore , I've heard it way to much--guess I'm burned out on it. Like other songs I've just heard too much. (Stevie solo/Mac songs). Sorry!!
11/I can't give Stevie or Mac up at least not yet but I don't always 'agree' with the choices they make or love everything they do or release. Just the way it is.
12/hope this wasn't to boring, thanks for reading!!
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 07-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
Wow alot of great posts for this , I did agree with some of them as well. I'll give this a try :

1/Stevie has an inflated opinion of herself, and I think that Dave Stewart has helped this along.

4/ I love Stevie's voice 77-early 84 , haven't cared for it much really after that.

5/I wished Stevie had released more LP's but other issue's got in the way (drugs etc).

6/I also think Stevie should re-issue all her catalog with outtakes etc. Or do large box sets for EACH solo record with outtakes/rare photos --this needs to be like a special BOOK you can order. With maybe 4 cds each as well as a DVD, need to have that HBO special 'official' re-issued again with all the songs from that concert. This could be done for ALL her solo LP's to current with extras you can order. .

8/I really think Stevie is tired of all of 'this' and really wants to stop but doesn't know how or can't because so many people depend on her (family/employee's etc.).

9/I wish she cared as much as us fans do, but well maybe she does but it just doesn't appear so. Actions do speak louder than words.

11/I can't give Stevie or Mac up at least not yet but I don't always 'agree' with the choices they make or love everything they do or release. Just the way it is.
Agree with all the above, and would add:

I think her voice was great going back to 1975.

I too think she'd like to cut back on some level.
\
Would LOVE new packages of the solo stuff. and the HBO show has got to be rereleased FFS. Maybe there's an issue over ownership? Maybe Modern owned it, or Warner's or somebody......although she was an owner/partner in Modern so....

That's another thing-- she created a whole record label for her solo work. Yes Paul Fishkin and Danny Goldberg were the business minded partners, but still. That was such an awesome thing and she never, ever, ever talks about it. I think it was totally ballsy and savvy and yet she always plays down her business savvy in favor of the airy-fairy princess. She can be both.

And I sooooo agree there's a crapload of wasted opportunities across her career because she was too infatuated with life in the fast lane.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is one of my favourite ever pictures of Stevie and I would absolutely love it if she cut her hair this short, it totally refreshes her.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
This is one of my favourite ever pictures of Stevie and I would absolutely love it if she cut her hair this short, it totally refreshes her.

I've often wondered if her natural hair is in fact this short, and the rest is extensions. She admits to having extensions in in some of her videos and talks about them in a way that suggests she is familiar with wearing them and knows good ones from bad. At almost 70 there's no way her hair is as full and lush as it is in photographs. But some folks who've seen them live say when she flings her head/hair around you don't see evidence of extensions. Though if you have a really good hair stylist, you shouldn't be able to tell...
Old 07-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

I would love the see her with her HBO show hair or Wildheart feathered hair.
I do love her current long hairstyle which women at that age have the granny short curly hair look.

On music.I always say she should try to sing something different then what she normally sings.Which she has at times .Try complete album of country.blues,jazz. opera ,classical music.old standards.disco,rap-hip hop etc.

OH .Did I say rap-hip hop.Gag me with a spoon.LOL..but some of you would enjoy it.

Those both would refresh her.

Like some said here she does not like changes.I'll not a fan of changes myself but sometimes its good for a change of things.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 PM

I'd like Stevie to cut it out with the blonde, it's starting to be yellowy. Probably she would look good as a brunette.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I'd like Stevie to cut it out with the blonde, it's starting to be yellowy. Probably she would look good as a brunette.
Or a redhead like Florence.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:34 PM

I think auburn would be the best shade of red for her, showy but classy:

Old 07-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really admire a lot about The Wild Heart, but I skip "If Anyone Falls", "Stand Back", and "Beauty and the Beast" every time. I like "I Will Run To You" better than those three.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
I really admire a lot about The Wild Heart, but I skip "If Anyone Falls", "Stand Back", and "Beauty and the Beast" every time. I like "I Will Run To You" better than those three.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
OK so three of her best ever songs...
Old 07-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
OK so three of her best ever songs...
Yeah it's kind of like, people have different tastes and stuff

I'm not a big synth fan or a big dance fan (though there'll be an occasional song that I dig), and while I get that "Beauty and the Beast" is very uniquely Stevie and that really does it for some people, it's too melodramatic (in a torpid, not fun way) for me. Stevie is a cat of many coats, if there's a coat that resembles me best it's probably easy breezy cowgirl Stevie, not gothic swimming in my own pain Stevie. Not that I don't appreciate a wide range of her songs, but these don't connect for me (OTOH I adore "Sable on Blond" so go figure).

(You know, I think it's funny how Stevie used to go on about how the relationship with Lindsey was getting too dark and intense so she had to fly out of there like the gemini that she is etc etc, but then she has this truckload of intensely angsty songs of her own unmatched by anyone this side of Jeff Morrissey. But that contradiction probably just makes her human.)

Last edited by redbird; 07-06-2015 at 08:15 PM..