Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Lost my job today.....

Sorry, this isn't something that I wanted to advertise, but I guess I'm looking for the support.

Feeling pretty devastated to say the least. I was in the running for two open positions within the department I was working and I wasn't even considered for either. There was a lower support Technician position and a Coordinator position. The Technician position was basically what I had been doing now, as a temp which is why I don't understand why they passed me over. The Coordinator position required more supervisory experience which I didn't have because I've been laid off so many times from so many different places that I haven't been able to stay long enough to gain that experience.

I started there as an intern in that department in July, and because a staff member left was able to score the temporary job until now. When I first started the temp job, my boss left for vacation and with only two days of training I had to manage the office by myself. I just don't understand how after working three months there and showing and saying that I wanted to be there and help their mission that they all of a sudden didn't need me. I literally could have up and left after that first week if I wanted to and didn't give a crap, but no I stayed and now after all this time I'm getting the shaft.

It was with an organization that I really liked and wanted to work for in the long term. I just can't believe I got passed over when I already had the experience working their previously.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am so sorry to hear that SadAngel. It's strange that your name is your current situation, but you have skills now from your current job and that will help you. All the past jobs you have are part of your education for the future, too. (And I gotta say you've got incredible camera skills that everyone on The Ledge can swear by!!!) I hope it won't be long until you have some good news coming your way again. Maybe they will even call you back once they realize "what they had . . . and what they lost". Good luck on the future.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up Finding a job is a full time job

Jobs have many doors, one closes and another opens.

Momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

All the best you
Old 10-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy

Sorry to hear that. I've lost jobs before; I know the feeling. I believe things happen for a reason. You'll get another job, maybe even better than the last one.

Lee
Old 10-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Registered

Sorry to hear that , we all unfortunately go through this , Take a moment and collect yourself, then get out your resume , and hit all the recruiters too, and in no time something will come your way
Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I know the feeling too

I lost mine a few weeks ago Hopefully we all find a job soon!
And all those races that are run
They cause patterns"
Old 10-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm really sorry to hear this, Sad Angel. I truly am. I've been in your shoes so I can understand how you're feeling right now. I think many of us here have probably been there and can relate to how something like this makes you feel.

As Tango said, you have even more experience now to bring to the table for your next job making you even more attractive to the company you next seek employment from.

Keep your head up and keep a positive attitude. It might take a few days, weeks or even months but you will find the perfect job. One that will make you happy and that you will truly enjoy getting up and going into every day. Use this as a learning experience and never give up hope that there is something better right around the next corner for you.

"I think animal testing is a terrible idea. They get all nervous and give silly answers."--Stephen Fry, A Bit of Fry & Laurie
Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I know how that feels...

I lost my dream job last September due to illness (Exhaustion combined with severe depression). Things look up if you just keep trying...I start a new job on Monday, and will plan to save money to move closer to my home area.

Just hang in there...don't give up!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry. I've been there and it's frustrating, depressing, and upsetting, especially when it is unexpected. Once you take some time to get over the initial shock are there volunteer options or such that you can do to keep something current on your resume / CV and perhaps make some new connections? Not sure if it's applicable to your field or not.

Hang in there. And, thanks so much for all of the FM updating and sharing you've done here for us.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This sucks. Put the gris-gris on 'em! (I'm not joking)
Old 10-13-2014, 12:51 AM
secret love
This message has been deleted by secret love.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In 2001 I was in a temp to hire position that I was told from the beginning would be filled by either myself or my female co worker. Naturally I felt I was perfect for this job but they decided to hire her. I went home real angry but then used the situation as an "excuse" to start my own cleaning business. Now here I am 13 years later and I have never been unemployed in all this time. Looking back I was far removed from that situation and I realized that company made the right decision hiring my co worker because that company's clients were mostly male. It was a receptionist position. Most men would rather be greeted by a female. Naturally though I wonder if she is still with that company, but that doesn't really matter. Like other Ledgies have stated, one door closes and another door opens. It is just a fact of life. Also, in today's job market, no ones job is secured.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
In 2001 I was in a temp to hire position that I was told from the beginning would be filled by either myself or my female co worker. Naturally I felt I was perfect for this job but they decided to hire her. I went home real angry but then used the situation as an "excuse" to start my own cleaning business. Now here I am 13 years later and I have never been unemployed in all this time. Looking back I was far removed from that situation and I realized that company made the right decision hiring my co worker because that company's clients were mostly male. It was a receptionist position. Most men would rather be greeted by a female. Naturally though I wonder if she is still with that company, but that doesn't really matter. Like other Ledgies have stated, one door closes and another door opens. It is just a fact of life. Also, in today's job market, no ones job is secured.
Those temp agency places are a joke.I never had luck with them and they offer jobs that are an hour or two away from home with crap pay.Its not worth driving with todays gas prices to a low wage job .

Self employed is the best way to go.Your own boss .Take time off anytime for concert tours or whatever.

The last job I had was a joke because they were upset because I wanted to take a week off to go on vacation and see Stevie on tour.Which I earned two weeks off every year.They told me I only can take a couple days off since its start of the busy season At that moment I gave my two weeks and move on.Who needs that crap if you cant take vacation time when I want it.

Thats what happen with a place with poor management that cant place its employees if one goes on vacation.

Good luck Sadangel you have a skill.They said the market is doing alittle better.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Those temp agency places are a joke.I never had luck with them and they offer jobs that are an hour or two away from home with crap pay.Its not worth driving with todays gas prices to a low wage job .

Self employed is the best way to go.Your own boss .Take time off anytime for concert tours or whatever.

The last job I had was a joke because they were upset because I wanted to take a week off to go on vacation and see Stevie on tour.Which I earned two weeks off every year.They told me I only can take a couple days off since its start of the busy season At that moment I gave my two weeks and move on.Who needs that crap if you cant take vacation time when I want it.

Thats what happen with a place with poor management that cant place its employees if one goes on vacation.

Good luck Sadangel you have a skill.They said the market is doing alittle better.
I had great luck with the temp agency. I worked for 3 different ones from 1999-2001. Between the 3 I was always working, when I wanted to. They paid me good money too.
Being self employed is great but when you work for someone else, like you did, you have to bend to their wishes. Telling you that you can't take the time off to go to a concert because of it being the busy season is a fair assessment for an employer. That's because they don't consider entertainment important. You should have white lied it and told them you were going to California for your brother's wedding. Don't have a brother?? Who cares when the story is fictional anyways. LOL. Now look at your life Skip. That was a few years ago and you're still unemployed. You are too young to be retired IMO but the longer you wait to get a new job, the harder it is gonna be to get one.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I had great luck with the temp agency. I worked for 3 different ones from 1999-2001. Between the 3 I was always working, when I wanted to. They paid me good money too.
Being self employed is great but when you work for someone else, like you did, you have to bend to their wishes. Telling you that you can't take the time off to go to a concert because of it being the busy season is a fair assessment for an employer. That's because they don't consider entertainment important. You should have white lied it and told them you were going to California for your brother's wedding. Don't have a brother?? Who cares when the story is fictional anyways. LOL. Now look at your life Skip. That was a few years ago and you're still unemployed. You are too young to be retired IMO but the longer you wait to get a new job, the harder it is gonna be to get one.
I agree.Yea I never had luck with the temp agencies even 20 years ago.I'm working PT at some odd jobs .Like self employed .Plus stocks that help pay the bills .It keeps me busy.

My back is to shot to go back into warehousing which I did not mind doing as long its runned properly.

I'm glad that you have good luck with them.

I agree on the white lies.Its none of their freaking business what I do on my time off.I guess I was to honest there .I learned some lessons like keeping my mouth shut about my personal doings.I was to open at that place.Also why I should bend since they know I do traveling every summer to concerts.The tour happen to fall late that year.I would be in big trouble with this FM tour if I was still at the company.So far the shows are on weekends and it would be not a issue if I was still there.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's great that you are with a temp agency. That's literally how I've gotten the foot in the door for every job I've ever had. And am now, after 11 years, a Vice President at one of the largest Investment Banks on the Planet.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.