The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > The Penguin > The Ledge Boards

Old 10-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Ledge dates

An extremely random question, but as a new member, I was just wondering;

Why do the dates people joined only go back to 2000?

I was under the impression the Ledge started late 90s.

So are there no members left from then?

It's the same with the archive on each on Forum.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Not sure but I think it was a different bulletin board software/program/thing that was used in the 90s so this one can only go back as far as it was implemented.

To any that know, please correct me if I am wrong.

John
Old 11-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

John's pretty much got it nailed...The Ledge used a different format prior to 2000. So, when this was implemented, everybody had to reapply for membership.

My chronology may be a little off, but I could've sworn that the Ledge began more in the "mid 90s" rather than "late 90s" (due to there still being snippy threads regarding the then fairly recent album called Time), but that's just me being nit-picky. But, then when do ANY threads that discuss Time ever NOT become "snippy", even today?

Last edited by chiliD; 11-04-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There used to be a thing called "alt net" - which was "newsgroups" that you could access through your ISP. My ISP quit paying for them,....at least 5 years ago. Anyway, back in 1996 ish, there was a FM newsgroup, that I found when I got my first computer. Chili, David, Jbrownsjr were there, as well as a few others.

David invited me here, maybe 2000 ish? I lurked for a couple of years, then finally joined.

Sorry that I don't have more Ledge info before that, but they're how I ended up here!
Old 02-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
There used to be a thing called "alt net" - which was "newsgroups" that you could access through your ISP. My ISP quit paying for them,....at least 5 years ago. Anyway, back in 1996 ish, there was a FM newsgroup, that I found when I got my first computer. Chili, David, Jbrownsjr were there, as well as a few others.

David invited me here, maybe 2000 ish? I lurked for a couple of years, then finally joined.
The first Ledge was in the old Matt Wright script format (a bit like how the comments section works on news websites, with a reply "tree" building horizontally—to the right—and vertically—downward).

The Usenet group alt.music.fleetwood-mac, created by Joe Admire of Manassas, VA, was at the height of activity in 1995—1996, when Marty Adelson constructed the Penguin, borrowing content heavily from a pre-existing Mac fan site created by Jeff Kenney. One group of fans (largely older) hung out on Usenet, and another group (demographically much younger) swarmed to the Penguin, where Marty had since set up a message board he called The Ledge.

Steve and one or two others were vocal members in both locations, but I hung exclusively on Usenet. Because Marty also spent some time on Usenet, he knew me and often asked me to join The Ledge. Once I wrapped my head around the idea that a web message board could be just as fun as a Usenet group, I joined. It was in the years before "The Dance," so message board talk largely centered on Stevie's "Street Angel," Lindsey's "Out of the Cradle," and "Time." With the release of "The Dance" and its surprising popularity, message board activity took off in a million different directions, with the single forum divided into subforums for each singer or each era and an off-topic chat board (and live chat room using a downloadable JavaScript file) added.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Weren't you on the old AOL board, around 1993 or 1994, David? I feel like that's how I 'met' you. You were the one who brought me to The Ledge in 2001. I also feel like you were the one who brought me to the Usenet list too, but that was such a long time ago I forgot.