Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebokandlace View Post
I have been a Fleetwood Mac fan since 1975 and i don't care who is sitting behind the board. Most fans don't care who produced the artists album, they just care about the band members and the music. Yes, if you are a sound person, a producer or a musician then you care about who was sitting behind the glass and all the intricacies. Most fans only care about the band and the final product. Go to a Rolling Stones concert and ask anyone if they can name one producer of any RS album at any point in the history of the band and less than 1 in 1000 could answer that question.

To be honest, Stevie and Linds could be sitting in an empty room with a childs karaoke machine singing "old mcdonald" and i would listen to it.

Richard faded into oblivion in 1978. Most people just don't care...and besides Ken has put the spotlight on himself and self promoted himself taking much of the credit for Rumours. I assume he did this to look good in the production circles. Again, the fans really don't care who Ken is or who Richard is.

This board is a collection of pretty diehard fans. There are less than 500 people on this board regularly ( and i am being generous with that number). This is not a good sample of reality in regards to how people feel about who is producing the music. FM had sold a million tickets on this tour. Most of those ticket holders have no idea who Richard is. Really, he has faded into oblivion, no one cares about the producers.
Wrong.
I can tell you who the producer of the Stones was. It was Glyn Johns who is famous in his own right along with a whole list of other people famous for being producers.
Any music fan who doesn't care about the work of producing the music has no right to call themselves a real fan. I mean Jesus, where would we be without Jimmy Iovine?
Nope. Your dislike of Richard smacks of something almost on a personal level. And since I don't really care to know any more I'm just going to leave it at that.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:55 PM

Not to mention how famous and important is George Martin still considered.
And still, Rick Rubin, Phil Ramone, Martin Birch and others.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 05-21-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In Mick's own words, from his recent book. It seemed appropriate to this thread:

What that album went on to achieve is common knowledge but what is not is the efforts of the sonic masterminds behind it all. Without the patience, dedication and zealous belief in us that Ken Calliat and Richard Dashut shared, Rumours would not have come to be. They were the sixth and seventh members of our band, they made the sound that the world knows as ours come to life in the recorded medium. Along with Lindsey Buckingham and some degree myself, those two changed the way albums were recorded and they deserve more kudos than these mere words can convey.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Not to mention how famous and important is George Martin still considered.
And still, Rick Rubin, Phil Ramone, Martin Birch and others.
and Butch Vig, Mitchell Froom... list goes on and on.

not caring for producers is kinda like saying in the movies i just care for actors, director is not important.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have been a Fleetwood Mac fan since 1975 and i don't care who is sitting behind the board. Most fans don't care who produced the artists album, they just care about the band members and the music. Yes, if you are a sound person, a producer or a musician then you care about who was sitting behind the glass and all the intricacies. Most fans only care about the band and the final product. Go to a Rolling Stones concert and ask anyone if they can name one producer of any RS album at any point in the history of the band and less than 1 in 1000 could answer that question.

To be honest, Stevie and Linds could be sitting in an empty room with a childs karaoke machine singing "old mcdonald" and i would listen to it.

Richard faded into oblivion in 1978. Most people just don't care...and besides Ken has put the spotlight on himself and self promoted himself taking much of the credit for Rumours. I assume he did this to look good in the production circles. Again, the fans really don't care who Ken is or who Richard is.

This board is a collection of pretty diehard fans. There are less than 500 people on this board regularly ( and i am being generous with that number). This is not a good sample of reality in regards to how people feel about who is producing the music. FM had sold a million tickets on this tour. Most of those ticket holders have no idea who Richard is. Really, he has faded into oblivion, no one cares about the producers.

Seriously can you just give it a break already, your negative bull**** is tiring, if you think the general music buying public don't care about record producers thats fine, but this fan base does. I for one am saddened by the events that have transpired with Richards blog and am thankful for what he did contribute to the community. If you think his motives were selfish keep your opinion to yourself. Seemingly you only care for the band members so why do you continue to comment on a thread that has little interest to you??
Old 05-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

not caring for producers is kinda like saying in the movies i just care for actors, director is not important.
I wish Stevie would have been open to the recording that Mick, John and Lindsey did with Mitchell Froom. I love his body of work.
I also loved Butch Vig working with Stevie and the Sound City Players (aka Nicksvana). I never in a million years saw that one coming.
Also if you have a while and would like to watch Glyn talk about his process there's this: Also Lindsey Buckingham wasn't the only one with a fondness for double albums. According to Glyn, The Clash's Combat rock was a double monster that originally had Alan Ginsberg doing spoken word poetry in the background! Glyn then goes on to talk about a laundry list of bands doing double albums.

I think at a different time and place Glyn and Stevie might have worked better together. I am quite fond of "The Abbey Mixes" that are floating around out there that are said to be Glyn's Street Angel mixes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Some of the finished product that she went back in and tried to fix literally sound like they had the life sucked out of them. I don't know if I would have like Stevie solo without Waddy though.
Back to Richard though, I mean come on. He and Ken took the tapes after they were eroded and used the safeties and synched them by hand to create a usable product. I have never heard of anyone else doing that ever. There are so many other things. I wasn't going to buy Life but now I may have to just to see how f*cked up it really is.
I'm much more looking forward to buying Mojo though for the current interviews with the band and I think I'm going to to love the old school blues CD that comes with.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 05-21-2015 at 08:51 PM..
Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the History of the Eagles movie, Glyn Johns is interviewed quite a bit, because of his work on the early Eagles albums. And both he and the band talk about his dislike for drugs in the studio, the entourage thing, goofing off, etc. He liked to get right down to business, and ran a no-nonsense studio. After a while (in addition to musical differences) this didn't appeal to the Eagles anymore and they stopped working with him. I think Jimmy was the last producer to really have any influence to keep Stevie focused, relatively drug-free in the studio and with a minimal entourage-- and even he lost that battle over time. After watching the Eagles movie it was easy to see, music aside, why he and Stevie wouldn't be a great fit.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Indeed. People like Phil Spector, George Martin, Quincy Jones, Rick Rubin, T Bone Burnett, Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, Jimmy Iovene, Berry Gordy, Babyface, Mutt Lange, Mark Ronson, Todd Rundgren, Timbaland, and many others are arguably just as famous as the artists they worked with.

And if you don't believe in the power of the producer, just look at some of the magic Alan Parsons has woven as a producer & engineer. Just look at the effect he had on Pink Floyd, and the transformation he brought to people like Al Stewart's music.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Seriously can you just give it a break already, your negative bull**** is tiring, if you think the general music buying public don't care about record producers thats fine, but this fan base does. I for one am saddened by the events that have transpired with Richards blog and am thankful for what he did contribute to the community. If you think his motives were selfish keep your opinion to yourself. Seemingly you only care for the band members so why do you continue to comment on a thread that has little interest to you??
I will never keep my opinions to myself. I do not believe in censorship and I have every right to voice my opinion on this board. Get a life. You need to learn to accept people have opinions different from your own. Now please continue your love fest.

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Honestly, that comment was one of the most bizarre things I've ever read in the points made about Richard. I'm still laughing.

The producer/arranger/mixer and even engineer are so important. Dig a little deeper, people.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Honestly, that comment was one of the most bizarre things I've ever read in the points made about Richard. I'm still laughing.

The producer/arranger/mixer and even engineer are so important. Dig a little deeper, people.
Or, in the immortal words of Dame Christine, "come a little closer" to the actual music and the realities of it.

Stevie without a producer, for example, would spell disaster the way Tammy Wynette spelled divorce.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Or, in the immortal words of Dame Christine, "come a little closer" to the actual music and the realities of it.

Stevie without a producer, for example, would spell disaster the way Tammy Wynette spelled divorce.
Deeevorce!
Old 05-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

That's good...keep laughing. Maybe it will help you lighten up a bit. You are taking this whole Richard thing way too personally.....keep laughing little one, it will do you good.

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
That's good...keep laughing. Maybe it will help you lighten up a bit. You are taking this whole Richard thing way too personally.....keep laughing little one, it will do you good.

I take nothing personally. But when statements are made that are bizarre and comical, I laugh.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:12 AM
HomerMcvie
This message has been deleted by HomerMcvie. Reason: #peoplearetoosensitive
Old 05-23-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think some take this band too seriously.

Ladies and gentlemen, Stevie, circa the Clinton inauguration.
Don't...................... Stop..........................