Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rock Cesario's FM Book

A fleeting thought for many, Fleetwood Mac among the best rock bands of all time

By Rock Cesario Thursday, July 28, 2016 The Daily Sentinel

http://www.gjsentinel.com/entertainm...d-mac-among-th

When most folks talk about legendary British bands they mention the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, the Who and Pink Floyd. Very few people will ever mention Fleetwood Mac. It might be due to the fact that their sound was so much different, with each of the three incarnations of the band. However, if you look at their track record and think about their listenability, they have to be part of the conversation as one of the best.

I was first introduced to their music as a teenager. “Bare Trees” and “Mystery To Me” were both recorded during the “middle” period of the band with Bob Welch and Christine McVie.

Fleetwood Mac’s roots lie with John Mayall and his Bluesbreakers. That is where guitarist Peter Green, bassist John McVie and drummer Mick Fleetwood first played together. Guitarist Jeremy Spencer joined Green, McVie and Fleetwood for the first incarnation of the band, a straight-up blues rock outfit.

Fleetwood Mac released their self-titled debut in 1968. Green and Spencer wrote the bulk of the songs, which also contained covers of songs written by Howlin’ Wolf and Elmore James, who was a big influence on Green’s playing and writing. Danny Kirwan joined the band in late 1968 and they released three records: “Fleetwood Mac in Chicago,” “English Rose” and “Then Play On.” The most notable was the set they recorded in Chicago in 1969 at Chess Records with some Chess session men including Buddy Guy, Willie Dixon, Otis Spann and David Honeyboy Edwards. The session included 24 songs, 18 of which were covers of Dixon, James, Spann, Otis Rush, JT Brown, Big Walter Horton, Little Walter and others.

Peter Green left the band after the release of “Then Play On” in late 1969. The album featured the classic “Oh Well” as well as the fan favorite “Rattlesnake Shake.” The wonderful “Kiln House” was released in 1970 without Green but with Christine Perfect (McVie). It was a rock blues album with the focus on rock Buddy Holly-style featuring “Station Man,” “Hi Ho Silver,” “This Is the Rock” and “Buddy’s Song.”

Spencer left the band and was replaced by Bob Welch as they released the stunning, dreamy, Welch-influenced “Future Games,” with its mesmerizing title track, as well as “Sands of Time.” “Bare Trees” from 1972 is the first time I heard Fleetwood Mac and I was hooked. Bob Welch’s beautiful “Sentimental Lady” is one of my favorites by the band and the album highlight. Other great tunes are the title track, “Spare Me A Little of Your Love,” “Child of Mine” and “Homeward Bound.”

Danny Kirwan departs and Bob Weston joins the band for “Penguin,” “Mystery To Me” in 1973 and “Heroes Are Hard To Find.” Welch and Christine McVie dominated the songwriting on all three of these great records. “Mystery To Me” with “Emerald Eyes,” “Hypnotized” and “Why” is my very favorite of their LPs from my favorite version of the group.

Welch and Weston left the band in 1974 and were replaced by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, leading Fleetwood Mac to become one of the most popular and successful acts in rock and roll for the next 20 years, if not in its history. Through all of those changes the one constant has been Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. In my book it all makes Fleetwood Mac one of the best ever.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A few details wrong but the right spirit.