Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne View Post
Is there some big story behind it?
No, there is no story behind it. Stevie did an interview with Jim Ladd in 2005 when she was going to hit Caesar's Palace and she had a new wardrobe for Vegas and in that interview she said:

"Mr Buckingham is never crazy about my flamboyant shows. His comment to me was 'Can't you be just a little more casual?' So I became more casual for the Fleetwood Mac shows, but this is different, this is Las Vegas, my grandmother would have said, 'This is the circus.' "

From this one vague comment that he said to her, "Can you be more casual," people have leaped to the conclusion that Lindsey dictated her wardrobe. During the SYW tour, some people described one of the tops she wore as an Italian Granny sweater. They did not like it. Therefore, when Stevie made this comment to Jim Ladd they said, "Lindsey is the one who forced her to wear that granny sweater," although Stevie herself never said anything other than that Lindsey asked if she couldn't be more casual. She certainly never indicated that he selected her wardrobe pieces beyond wondering if she could dress a little more casually.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 11-25-2013 at 03:29 PM..
Old 11-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry one last question. Lindsey made Stevie wear the sweater on the cover for SYW? Is there some big story behind it?
Welcome to Fleetwood Mac 101.

Lindsey put a gun to Stevie's head in 1973 and forced her to go topless for the Buckingham Nicks cover. He forced her to dress like a witch for the cover of Rumours. He made her throw her head back for the cover of Mirage even though Stevie didn't think she could because her head was cut off in another life. He made her lay down on top of an old broken down piano for the cover of The Dance and he forced her onto the ground for the cover of SYW. He was also influential on her solo covers also. He directed every photo session. He forced her to hold the bird for the cover of Bella Donna, forced her to combine more than one pic for the cover of WH. Forced her into a skin tight coat for the cover of RAL. The story goes that he had to lay her down on the floor to get her into that one. He wasn't around for the rest of her albums though.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

Lindsey put a gun to Stevie's head in 1973 and forced her to go topless for the Buckingham Nicks cover. He forced her to dress like a witch for the cover of Rumours. He made her throw her head back for the cover of Mirage even though Stevie didn't think she could because her head was cut off in another life. He made her lay down on top of an old broken down piano for the cover of The Dance and he forced her onto the ground for the cover of SYW. He was also influential on her solo covers also. He directed every photo session. He forced her to hold the bird for the cover of Bella Donna, forced her to combine more than one pic for the cover of WH. Forced her into a skin tight coat for the cover of RAL. The story goes that he had to lay her down on the floor to get her into that one. He wasn't around for the rest of her albums though.
Very funny

but the story about the Buckingham nicks album cover was true (not the fact that he held a gun to her) but Stevie says that Lindsey really pressured her to go topless in that photo shoot and told her to stop being a baby. She said he even started to take her top off himself. Hmmm... nice visual..

No she DIDN'T HAVE TO DO IT, I'm sure if she really protested enough Lindsey would have laid off her and when her parents saw the album cover Stevie blamed Lindsey for it. She said she told her father she did it because she didn't feel like she had a choice, not to and her father said to her she could have JUST SAID NO. Stevie said it was after that she decided she was never going to let someone push her into doing something she did not want to do. BUT I know you know all this Viv...
Old 11-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Heck I have lost my temper and chased one of my husbands down the road in a car while he was on foot running.
YOU DID WHAT ?!?! Holy Crap... we may need to get you some counseling.

For the records I'm glad you let him go and didn't finish what you started.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
Very funny

but the story about the Buckingham nicks album cover was true (not the fact that he held a gun to her) but Stevie says that Lindsey really pressured her to go topless in that photo shoot and told her to stop being a baby. She said he even started to take her top off himself. Hmmm... nice visual..
I never heard or read about the part of him trying to take the top off himself only her saying he was angry and told her to stop acting like a baby. I do recall that from what she said, it seemed like she learned ahead of time that the photographers wanted her topless and she agreed to that, but maybe thought she could talk them out of it when they got to the day itself, which is probably why she bought the top, thinking "once they see this, they won't want to see my breasts!'

Michele
Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Quote:

I love it!!! Very funny.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's what Stevie said about the album cover in BAM from 1981:

[She points to the cover of the 1973 Buckingham Nicks album, a photo of a topless Nicks posed behind a bare-chested Buckingham.] I mean, that cover is about as close to selling the music on sex as you'll ever get, and I was crying when we took that picture. And Lindsey was mad at me. He said, "You know, you're just being a child. This is art." And I'm going, "This is not art. This is taking a nude photograph with you, and I don't dig it."

Could you have refused?

I tried. I tried to say no. We were really poor when we took that picture, and I went out and spent my last $111 on a really beautiful, very sexy blouse. And they agreed to do half of the session in the blouse, and I thought, "Oh, I'll win. They'll love this blouse, and they're gonna love the way I look." Well, halfway through the session, one of the photographers came over and said, "Okay, it's time to take off the blouse," and I died. It was awful, you know. And afterwards my father said to me, "Did you want to do this?" And I said no. And he said, "Then why did you do it?" And I said, "Because I was literally forced to do it, Dad." And he said, "Well, I'll tell you what you could have done. You coulda just said no." And he's right. I coulda said no. I have never forgotten that. And maybe that has a lot to do with why I went from that [points to the cover of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours LP, where she's in a long dress and veils]. Because I said, "All right, that's it. We're gonna work this out so that I still have an image and a vibe, but instead of going in the direction that a lot of the women singers are going in now, I'll be very, very sexy under 18 pounds of chiffon and lace and velvet. And nobody will know what I really am. I will have a mystique. None of these other people will have a mystique, but I will." And I have that mystique. That's one thing that I'm real proud of.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
one thing i would give you heads up about is that even though the rest of the book may be horribly written entertaining highly romanticized fluff sprinkled with some interesting tidbits, be prepared you may definitely get off LB fandom wagon for a while when reading those abuse stories, if you believe they are even partially true.

you can probably read the book for free on google books or somewhere instead of getting it.
Thanks to everyone for all the input! And you brought up another interesting conversation...what do all the Lindsey diehards think of the abuse stories?! Elle, did you fall off the bandwagon for a while? And for those of you who have met LB...do you see a different man? He totally seems different now...but I have not yet talked to him!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by getTusked View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the input! And you brought up another interesting conversation...what do all the Lindsey diehards think of the abuse stories?! Elle, did you fall off the bandwagon for a while? And for those of you who have met LB...do you see a different man? He totally seems different now...but I have not yet talked to him!

Lindsey is very warm and kind. He is easy to talk to, and isn't afraid of getting too close to regular people. He's not a "distant handshake, now take the picture" kind of guy. Lots of smiles, and chit chat! Really, a very, very nice man.
I would never guess he is the same person once described as being violent.

...And he's drop dead gorgeous. Smells good too
Just a dream, just a dream.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

[She points to the cover of the 1973 Buckingham Nicks album, a photo of a topless Nicks posed behind a bare-chested Buckingham.] I mean, that cover is about as close to selling the music on sex as you'll ever get, and I was crying when we took that picture. And Lindsey was mad at me. He said, "You know, you're just being a child. This is art." And I'm going, "This is not art. This is taking a nude photograph with you, and I don't dig it."

Could you have refused?

I tried. I tried to say no. We were really poor when we took that picture, and I went out and spent my last $111 on a really beautiful, very sexy blouse. And they agreed to do half of the session in the blouse, and I thought, "Oh, I'll win. They'll love this blouse, and they're gonna love the way I look." Well, halfway through the session, one of the photographers came over and said, "Okay, it's time to take off the blouse," and I died. It was awful, you know. And afterwards my father said to me, "Did you want to do this?" And I said no. And he said, "Then why did you do it?" And I said, "Because I was literally forced to do it, Dad." And he said, "Well, I'll tell you what you could have done. You coulda just said no." And he's right. I coulda said no. I have never forgotten that. And maybe that has a lot to do with why I went from that [points to the cover of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours LP, where she's in a long dress and veils]. Because I said, "All right, that's it. We're gonna work this out so that I still have an image and a vibe, but instead of going in the direction that a lot of the women singers are going in now, I'll be very, very sexy under 18 pounds of chiffon and lace and velvet. And nobody will know what I really am. I will have a mystique. None of these other people will have a mystique, but I will." And I have that mystique. That's one thing that I'm real proud of.
The part about Lindsey trying to take her top off during the BN album shoot is brand new. That bit of info just came out recently when Stevie was talking about BN being reissued. I will go back and see if I can find where I got that quote from and let you know.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why do you keep picking on the newbie? Let her hate Carol Ann if she wants to.
Because it's not in my nature to remain silent, when someone, repeatedly, professes joy at someone else's misery.

How is that picking on them? This is a discussion forum, and the "newbie" made more than a few explicit statements that I disagreed with. I replied to her. Why do you have a problem with that?

Quote:
I don't get off on "other" peoples misery. However I sure do on Carol. One person. Singular not plural. A little less reading? I don't think so, I am enjoying everything I missed out on and am getting to the truth of everything. My thrill over her misery has faded, I am now reading other posts about a different FM topic. Thanks for the concern. Since you went over every word with a fine comb. I will break it down. Drum roll....... ANGER.... Sadness.... Thrills and chills.... Wild Excitement..... Massive dark humor....ALL in a moment. It's gone and I am steady, but I still think Carol is pitiful and pathetic as a female and human being with a massive nose. I say this because she went to all that trouble to fix her face but left two holes in her nose that beer bottles could fit in..... Namaste

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

We were having an interesting and thoughtful discussion on here, about a very serious topic. I didn't need a comb to find the plethora of comments, of yours, that I found offensive, and I'm well aware you have every right to say those things on here. I have the right to answer those comments, as well.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
another interesting conversation...what do all the Lindsey diehards think of the abuse stories?! Elle, did you fall off the bandwagon for a while?!
yes.

Quote:
And for those of you who have met LB...do you see a different man? He totally seems different now...but I have not yet talked to him!
yes, that's what got me back on the wagon eventually. the fact that he seemed to have worked really hard to change and seems to be a completely different person now, completely incompatible with those old stories. i would hope that if they are even partially true, he found the way to redeem himself and make peace with anybody in his past who may have suffered from his abuse. if i believed for a second that he's still that same person from 35 years ago, that would be it for me, as far as LB fandom goes. similarly, people have touched upon this kind of stuff about John McVie recently too, and general agreement was that he is not anymore the mean drunk he was 35 years ago, and shouldn't be held accountable for it decades later if he changed.

as HelloMonster says below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
Lindsey is very warm and kind. He is easy to talk to, and isn't afraid of getting too close to regular people. He's not a "distant handshake, now take the picture" kind of guy. Lots of smiles, and chit chat! Really, a very, very nice man.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post

...And he's drop dead gorgeous. Smells good too
HelloMonster said it perfectly

I believe he was abusive, though we really don't know for sure how much so, or what caused him to be that way. We don't really know how much she made up, etc., etc., and for me, I don't like to spend too much time digging into the past. If I judge him, it will be on who he is today, and hes's exactly like HM said! So, if he was as bad as we could possibly imagine, he's clearly made a lot of changes in his life, and anything else, as far as making it up to anyone (Carol, or anyone else), is his issue, not mine. I won't hold a man's past against him, 30 -40 years later, unless he gives me reason to think he is still the same person. I like the person I see today, and everyone around him - friends, family, acquaintances, people who meet him on the street - all seem to have nothing but nice things to say about him.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
The part about Lindsey trying to take her top off during the BN album shoot is brand new. That bit of info just came out recently when Stevie was talking about BN being reissued. I will go back and see if I can find where I got that quote from and let you know.
Oh, yes. Thanks for looking. I am very interested.

Michele
Old 11-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Could you have refused?

Ok... for the moment I will redact my comment that Stevie said Lindsey helped take her shirt off during the BN photo shoot. There's a lot of interviews I have to go back through, and right now I can't find it. But I know I'm not crazy and I know I read she said it, because I she's never said it before and I thought it was odd. But until I find the quote, just disregard what I previously said.