Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default new FM album - options?

in one of the LB forum threads, we started discussing preferences for the way new FM album could be put together - if there ever is one! most people wholeheartedly agree that the album should be built with all participating FM members - especially two songwriters - working on it together from the ground up (with the outside producer).

which means no stitching together songs that were prerecorded / almost done, like it was the case for SYW (and lindsey's GOS 2008).

we also discussed whether some of the SYW songs would have been better if they were deconstructed and rebuilt as mac songs (mainly LB's GOS songs). lindsey's songs on SYW already had most of the mac members the way they were originally recorded... alternatively, Peacekeeper and Smile at you were deconstructed and rebuilt and ended up not being nearly as good as originals in the opinion of many. similarly, new version of She Smiled Sweetly that is on SWS, although good, is not nearly as great as the original GOS sessions version was.

the options - obviously - are:
  1. no new FM album at all
  2. new FM album with previously recorded songs stiched together
  3. some new and some old songs but all re-built together
  4. all new songs.

what if we have just the first 3 options?

i mean let's face it, LB still has a number of great recorded songs from GOS sessions that can go on the mac album - and some of them would be more appropriate on a mac album - such as Deep Dense that was originally a song that SN wrote. although i don't really know her catalog, i'm sure SN has a number of songs in similar stages. so they'd probably use some of these old songs on the new album. my understanding is that all SN's songs - old and new - were rebuilt for IYD. and on SWS, every single song was new - except She Smiled Sweetly - and he re-recorded and rebuilt that one to fit with the album. would we want that to happen to Deep Dense????? frankly, i would love to have Deep Dense finally officially out, but i LOVE the bootleg version that we have, and don't think i could like any re-recorded version more. similarly with Gotta Get Away.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

SYW nearly killed all My hope. However.......Looking at the first 3 options I think the best option right now is 3. They can mix it up, old songs/new songs. As long as they making an effort to make a MAC ALBUM, and rebuild them as a unit. not solo Lindsey/Solo Stevie mashed up, which.....let's face it, is what we were given on SYW. Number 4 is my ultimate hope though

Just my 2 cents

Mick

-Tom Waits

Last edited by bluefox4000; 01-08-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If they were a much youger band, with a dozen more albums left in them I'd go with option #4... but they aren't.

That said, I pick #3 simply because we know there are so many great demos out there that deserve to be polished up and officially recorded; hopefully before the sun finally sets on FM.

Last edited by Neal; 01-08-2012 at 06:37 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

At this point, I'm honestly not sure there will be another FM studio album. I remember thinking it was an eternity in between The Dance & Say You Will. That was a 6 year gap... Fleetwood Mac's longest slumber at that point. It's now been 9 years since Say You Will, with no recording in sight for the band.

If there were to be another Mac album, it'd pretty much follow in the formula that they always have. The songwriters have always brought partially or fully fleshed out songs to the table, then moulded them into a group effort. Just look back at the history of the band: even classic songs like Rhiannon, Landslide, & Crystal were essentially finished works before Fleetwood Mac ever touched them. Let's not forget Tusk, either... pretty much all of Lindsey's songs were fully realized outside of Fleetwood Mac. Yet Tusk is probably the most revered Mac album amongst fans.

The difference between Tusk and Say You Will was partially Christine offsetting/bridging the often manic ramblings of Stevie & Lindsey, and the fact Tusk had outside producers. Stevie and Lindsey writing songs together and them magically falling into place with the machinations of Mick & John has never happened. Stevie and Lindsey will bring partially or nearly fully finished material to the table if there is to be another Mac album. The key to it's artistic success would be the band finding the right outside producer(s).
Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Regarding your options, I'd like to think that there will be another Buckingham/Nicks' Fleetwood Mac album. I highly suspect that if they reconvene, they will record a full, proper album of new material (which may include unreleased demos we are already familiar with). I also think that it will have more balance than their previous effort, with the assistance of a hired producer. The comments Lindsey made about that prospect were encouraging.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-08-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have an idea. It's a mash-up concept. Rather than building songs from the ground up collaboratively, I thought it would be interesting for the delicate songwriters to bring in their never-released songs (demos) (of which we know BOTH have enough for a Mac album)--and mash-up Lindsey tracks with Stevie tracks, maybe even in the "cut up" tradition of the Beats. That way they aren't rehashing old songs (and old feelings), but finding new meaning and connections in already conceived work. Imagine, every song would have Buck and Nicks as co-songwriters. What an interesting way to accentuate overlapping themes, imagery, passions.

I would recommend Richard X be the producer, as he is a mashup god. Though he's best known in dance music, he also has produced guitar based musically, with radically beautiful results (listen to Steve Mason's great BOYS OUTSIDE).

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If not a completely new album, I'd like to see the band cover itself ie: have members cover songs of other members. It's probably less likely to happen than an completely brand new album but the thought of Bekka Bramlett and Rick Vito covering Why given recent events has me intrigued.

Matt
Old 01-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think there will be another Fleetwood Mac album.

With that said, I would enjoy option 3. Both Lindsey and Stevie have unfinished songs/demos (including leftovers from last years solo albums) around that could find a home on a FM album along with newly written songs.

They must have an outside producer. I would like to see other people, i.e former Mac members, solo band members, etc, contributing vocals or instrumentation to a new album. It would make it more "Fleetwood Mac" and less "Buckingham Nicks."
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I would like to see other people, i.e former Mac members, solo band members, etc, contributing vocals or instrumentation to a new album. It would make it more "Fleetwood Mac" and less "Buckingham Nicks."
interesting thought. how about solo band members co-write some songs? for example, Neale wrote the music for Come. and New Orleans.

although i could argue that FM made Crystal and Blue Letter that used to be performed by BN much better songs... but i guess not everybody would agree with that - and also that was long long time ago.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
interesting thought. how about solo band members co-write some songs? for example, Neale wrote the music for Come. and New Orleans.
Exactly co-writers would be great too.

How about re-recording previously released songs, but putting a different spin on the songs? For example, Lindsey doing "Dreams" and Stevie doing "Go Your Own Way". Adding of course a tribute-type song for Christine.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think my idea is the best

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really don't understand what the hell was so bad about Say You Will.

And I really don't understand what the big deal is if songs are already worked on; it's the same people working on them.

IMHO.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope something comes out of the woodwork soon.I thought SYW was great.Also at lease it got some radio airplay.Now as we see the results on Stevie's and Lindsey's outings without or dribbles of radio airplay.They will be recording a new album just for us fans.Not for radio.Now as noted already Stevie and Lindsey will be wrapping up things on their solo cd's.I hope they will get back into the studio again.The work would be good for Stevie too.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm going with #3, it's the way of the mac and I think has worked reasonably well. The main thing I want to see is the creative juices we saw on SWS and IYD from both of them. Who would have thought they would do some of their best music ever in their mid-60's? I'd like to hear a full band sound on the next record, with some of that Tusk type beauty thrown in as I don't think the band has fully expanded on a tusk type direction. It would be wonderful to see them go out in style with a truly good album with creative input from all, but an outside producer to keep Lindsey in check
Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
I really don't understand what the hell was so bad about Say You Will.

And I really don't understand what the big deal is if songs are already worked on; it's the same people working on them.

IMHO.
No...not really. Have you heard the Gypsy outtake from Bella Donna? Well -imagine if Stevie had just brought that track to the Mirage sessions and the band had just played it back the same way - It would have been a totally different song - nothing like the Gypsy that we ended up getting.

Instead, Lindsey was allowed to rebuild that track and the end result is a song that only vaguely resembles the original, but is far superior in every conceivable way.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case