User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I think Lindsey will be co-producer on anything the bands works on. He's not going to sit on the sidelines. Just not who he is.
If this is one of Stevie's sticking points and she wants "Team Stevie" to produce her songs without Lb being involved with production and Mick wants Stevie's songs on the record LB may very well be asked to "sit this one out" and if LB is refusing it could be why Mick is babbling about putting the songs they already have on one of LB's solo records. Makes you wonder if LB has issued Mick an ultimatum.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
If this is one of Stevie's sticking points and she wants "Team Stevie" to produce her songs without Lb being involved with production and Mick wants Stevie's songs on the record LB may very well be asked to "sit this one out" and if LB is refusing it could be why Mick is babbling about putting the songs they already have on one of LB's solo records. Makes you wonder if LB has issued Mick an ultimatum.
I doubt he'd be "sitting it out" on any Mac album. He's clearly been working not only his own songs but Christine's as well, much to her delight. She's been absolutely fine with him "taking liberties" as he put it with her music. I"m sure he's become sensitized to working-over another writer's songs through working with Stevie. But Chris clearly wants his fingerprints all over her songs

So by virtue of him controlling the sound of his own material, and his having gotten full permission to go full steam ahead on Christine's, he'll have a huge influence on whatever they put out. That's 2/3 at least of any FM album. He won't be sitting anything out.

If Stevie wants her music produced and arranged by someone other than Lindsey, he seems willing to play along with that. He's realized it might be a blessing in disguise, getting him out of the hot seat if she doesn't like the outcome. He would (and the band together) work with whoever produces Stevie's material and whoever mixes the album to make sure they feel it has some sense of coherence or at least isn't a total Frankenstein,bolted together album.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 02-28-2015 at 09:55 PM..
Old 02-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
The sticking point people refer to is just an assumption perpetuated and elaborated by fans. Is there any evidence that Stevie has said, point blank, that she doesn't want Lindsey producing her Fleetwood Mac songs, demanding that her hand-picked outsiders be assigned to the task? It sounds like a very dubious and contradictory theory.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-28-2015 at 11:00 PM..
Old 03-01-2015, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
The sticking point people refer to is just an assumption perpetuated and elaborated by fans. Is there any evidence that Stevie has said, point blank, that she doesn't want Lindsey producing her Fleetwood Mac songs, demanding that her hand-picked outsiders be assigned to the task? It sounds like a very dubious and contradictory theory.
I don't think there's any quote explicitly stating exactly that. But there are quotes that when put together paint the picture. Such as her not wanting to do anything without Dave Stewart and also her expressing her displeasure with recording Say You Will with Lindsey and saying she wouldn't do it again. I don't know if Christine changes her view on those points.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I don't think there's any quote explicitly stating exactly that. But there are quotes that when put together paint the picture. Such as her not wanting to do anything without Dave Stewart and also her expressing her displeasure with recording Say You Will with Lindsey and saying she wouldn't do it again. I don't know if Christine changes her view on those points.
Stevie's major issues with Say You Will have to do with the circumstances surrounding the recording the album. Stevie was dealing with a lot of situational issues -- her mother's sickness/death, not having Christine there for support, and making the album in Lindsey's home studio. She felt disconnected from the process, so it was an arduous experience for her. Those are the dominating factors that linger with her.

Lindsey is responsible for bringing her classic songs to life, and she gives him credit for that. While she might have issues with the production of her Say You Will songs, I have a hard time theorizing she thinks he has lost all capability to render her songs. It's just that Dave Stewart is like a mischievous court jester -- the polar opposite to Lindsey's serious demeanor. Dave provided a levity that Lindsey lacks, and he made the recording process more enjoyable.

I bet Lindsey would have no objections if Dave was involved with the production of her songs. He even once mentioned it would relieve some of the pressure he has in his responsibilities as a producer. Dave is so amiable, it could be a very symbiotic collaboration. From a recent interview, Lindsey seems very excited about the new album, so I don't think he going to step on Stevie's toes. He wants her contributions to make the record complete.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-01-2015 at 01:21 AM..
Old 03-01-2015, 02:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie's major issues with Say You Will have to do with the circumstances surrounding the recording the album. Stevie was dealing with a lot of situational issues -- her mother's sickness/death, not having Christine there for support, and making the album in Lindsey's home studio. She felt disconnected from the process, so it was an arduous experience for her. Those are the dominating factors that linger with her.

Lindsey is responsible for bringing her classic songs to life, and she gives him credit for that. While she might have issues with the production of her Say You Will songs, I have a hard time theorizing she thinks he has lost all capability to render her songs. It's just that Dave Stewart is like a mischievous court jester -- the polar opposite to Lindsey's serious demeanor. Dave provided a levity that Lindsey lacks, and he made the recording process more enjoyable.

I bet Lindsey would have no objections if Dave was involved with the production of her songs. He even once mentioned it would relieve some of the pressure he has in his responsibilities as a producer. Dave is so amiable, it could be a very symbiotic collaboration. From a recent interview, Lindsey seems very excited about the new album, so I don't think he going to step on Stevie's toes. He wants her contributions to make the record complete.
I don't think her mom died until 10 years after SYW
Old 03-01-2015, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
I don't think her mom died until 10 years after SYW
Thanks for the correction! I got confused about that. But I was pulling a Brian Williams! I recently watched the Say You Will concert on Pandora and recalled how morose she was then, and I associated it with her mom. I'm getting old!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-01-2015 at 03:44 AM..
Old 03-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No, but her dad died in 2005 after a long illness. I don't know if he was ill during the SYW era, but that would make sense.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-01-2015, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
He also worked on TISL with her, and hung around with her during those times (TISL/IYD) when she was working. Even if we just look at the Soldier's Angel comments, we have...

Quote:
"The song was so important that I asked Lindsey to come over and bring his musical magic to it and he did – as he always does."

"We recorded it live and did some harmonies, and then he did some little lead guitar things and it was perfect. There’s no other players, just me and him. Not only did we create something that’s probably as Buckingham Nicks as we have been since 1973, but I think that song really brought Lindsey and I back together."

"In two days I think we went back to being Buckingham-Nicks because I really needed his help on that song. After we recorded it everybody said it was like you guys raced back through time and became who you were in 1973. It was great and it healed a lot of wounds."

After Lindsey mentioned publicly that she was yet to thank him for his work on SYW, etc, we got this from her:

Quote:
Not long before I interviewed Stevie, Lindsey seemed close to tears when he told me that she had never thanked him for all the work he’d done on the album. “Did he say that to you?” Stevie replies incredulously. “My God. All I can is that he worked his butt off. I give him all the credit. He took my little skeleton songs and turned them into fully finished pieces. The way we work hasn’t changed. He is an immense talent, a craftsman beyond belief. I knew that the first time we met.”
She does know how to praise the man, lol.

"Then we were like this really cute couple and we were making this amazing music. And I wrote this poem about him, really. I figure into it a little but it’s mostly just about him and how I felt about him when I first met him. Because, you know, your first impressions are always important. And I found him to be sooo sexy and so handsome and so nice and so very, very talented. What’re you gonna do?”

I think Stevie called on him b/c she knew that he knew what to do with her song - it was to her advantage.Also,Stevie may talk about the SYW experience as being a nightmare in general,but when she is directly accused of saying something negative she will deny it - she has to cover her butt IMO.And Bucky's idea of "never thanking him" could mean that Stevie refused to bang him.Just sayin'....
Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
No, but her dad died in 2005 after a long illness. I don't know if he was ill during the SYW era, but that would make sense.
Her dad traveled some with them and he was on a scooter and later Stevie said that they knew it was their last time with him.

Michele
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie's major issues with Say You Will have to do with the circumstances surrounding the recording the album. Stevie was dealing with a lot of situational issues -- her mother's sickness/death, not having Christine there for support, and making the album in Lindsey's home studio. .
they didn't record SYW at Lindsey's house. The band rented a house in Bel Air specifically for making the album and recorded it there. [ One of these days when I get it together I'll post my pics of the Bellagio house taken on a "FM landmarks" tour in LA.]
Old 03-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I doubt he'd be "sitting it out" on any Mac album. He's clearly been working not only his own songs but Christine's as well, much to her delight. She's been absolutely fine with him "taking liberties" as he put it with her music. I"m sure he's become sensitized to working-over another writer's songs through working with Stevie. But Chris clearly wants his fingerprints all over her songs.
This is because Christine is always working towards the service of the songs. She knows her boundaries as a musician and performer and doesn't try to overreach. Instead, she welcomes collaboration and sparks off of others' ideas.

Stevie may enjoy collaboration with David Stewart but certainly cannot work in this intimate way with Lindsey anymore. I think the root of this incompatibility is that working with Lindsey makes her feel dependent and inferior. Whereas Christine is always on the lookout for a musical companion (she did great work with her nephew, Bob Welch, Todd Sharp, Danny Kirwan, Billy Burnette and others) and is eager to reach new heights through collaboration, Stevie is all about preserving her vision. Unfortunately, she is not an accomplished musician and cannot really work without the aid of a producer.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WGAF about the Eurythmics? Fleetwood Mac is their own band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-02-2015, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
This is because Christine is always working towards the service of the songs. She knows her boundaries as a musician and performer and doesn't try to overreach. Instead, she welcomes collaboration and sparks off of others' ideas.

Stevie may enjoy collaboration with David Stewart but certainly cannot work in this intimate way with Lindsey anymore. I think the root of this incompatibility is that working with Lindsey makes her feel dependent and inferior. Whereas Christine is always on the lookout for a musical companion (she did great work with her nephew, Bob Welch, Todd Sharp, Danny Kirwan, Billy Burnette and others) and is eager to reach new heights through collaboration, Stevie is all about preserving her vision. Unfortunately, she is not an accomplished musician and cannot really work without the aid of a producer.
Because when LB helps Christine she helps him right back. She can collaborate on the chords, or the melody that can go with these chords, or the lyrics, she can even arrange and/or produce. Further, she can create her own riffs.

With Stevie, she has two or three chords and lyrics and sings them and says, "I need guitar, piano, bass and drums arranged for these. It's a lot of work from the raw material.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

Stevie may enjoy collaboration with David Stewart but certainly cannot work in this intimate way with Lindsey anymore.
Quote:
I think the root of this incompatibility is that working with Lindsey makes her feel dependent and inferior.
Whereas Christine is always on the lookout for a musical companion (she did great work with her nephew, Bob Welch, Todd Sharp, Danny Kirwan, Billy Burnette and others) and is eager to reach new heights through collaboration, Stevie is all about preserving her vision. Unfortunately, she is not an accomplished musician and cannot really work without the aid of a producer.
Taking it a step further,I think Stevie wants to be even beyond equal -she needs to be superior to all involved,the "Head Honcho" if you will.At best I think Bucky could make her feel equal,but never superior(even pretending-she knows him too well).With DS,he is basically a doormat to her every whim without fear of repercussions.That way she can have her cake and eat it too.And that cake was so sweet the first time that she went back for seconds and will probably go for thirds or more.The evidence lies in the IYD documentary IMO.She did say that was "the best year of my life".