Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Love Minus Zero/No Limit"

It has come to my attention that some folks may never have heard Mr. Zimmerman's original recording of this song and are only familiar with Lindsey's cover. To remedy this most unfortunate situation, I hope everyone enjoys the following:

The original studio recording, from the Bob's 1965 album Bringing It All Back Home: http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...C3OQVYMR5JDRVC

And a truly wonderful live version from the fifth entry in the Bootleg Series, Live 1975: The Rolling Thunder Revue: http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...F2NI23WT3SV2TC

Enjoy!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Thanks for posting - I love and adore this song, in its original form, and Lindsey's cover. Good on you for spreading the good word.

You know, I only found out this week that Gangsta's Paradise was a partial cover of an old Stevie Wonder song. I was horrified that I didn't know that.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the original version, but I find it awfully chipper and zippy for Bob.
Even though I'm familiar with the original, I like Lindsey's better.

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Thank you! I haven't heard this song, ever, in any form. Which is weird, since Bob did it.
Oh, Bob's is beautiful. *sigh* I swear, that man and his ugly voice/brilliant words can touch my heart like no other.
Soo....what, did Lindsey do it too? Never heard that.
oooo, this live one kicks ass, too. But it makes me so sorrowful. Stupid talented ugly voiced Bob.
Thanks, Jih-quim.
So, will anyone post Lindsey's? Sounds like a song he could do well, actually.
(and yes, I realize I am lame for not having got ahold of Lindsey's version yet. But, really, have I ever got ahold of anything? No, I haven't, so no one should be suprised.)

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 12-06-2005 at 02:01 AM..
Old 12-06-2005, 06:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
So, will anyone post Lindsey's? Sounds like a song he could do well, actually.
You would think so...

Lindsey's cover is on the bonus disc that came with some copies of Say You Will. It's not a bad cover, but it just seems very bland and MOR to me, especially for Lindsey, who's usually so daring when he covers other people's work. I also don't really care for/see the point in the way he conflates a couple of verses at the end. But what're ya gonna do?

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...90O5OY08RMCNJZ

Much better than the studio recording, I think, is this version he performed with Mick at the AHI benefit in December 2001, which he dedicated to George Harrison, who had recently died: http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...73FOH4IYVEXGC5
Old 12-06-2005, 06:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
You would think so...

Lindsey's cover is on the bonus disc that came with some copies of Say You Will. It's not a bad cover, but it just seems very bland and MOR to me, especially for Lindsey, who's usually so daring when he covers other people's work. I also don't really care for/see the point in the way he conflates a couple of verses at the end. But what're ya gonna do?

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...90O5OY08RMCNJZ

Much better than the studio recording, I think, is this version he performed with Mick at the AHI benefit in December 2001, which he dedicated to George Harrison, who had recently died: http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...73FOH4IYVEXGC5

Oh, man. Thanks, doll.
But...I love Lindsey...but it's just not the same. Obviously. But I mean...the non live is much better, IMO. The live version is cool by itself, but having heard the other two seconds before ( ), the live version seems much too aggressive for me. hehehe.
And the non live version is very good, but...Lindsey often has a "cold" quality in his work, and usually I don't mind, but in this case, I do. And it's in evidence here even in the pretty warm non live version. The actual live version is very cold.
I can't quite describe the quality effectively right now, and the non live version is darn good, and even pretty, and it could be heartbreaking...but it's just not quite, if you see what I'm saying.
I do like them all, though, in different capacities, so thank you very much. If I don't compare them, I think they are all very good for different reasons, which is fine. And they sound so different to me that I need not compare them. I'm definitely happy to have them all. Very much.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 12-06-2005 at 06:47 AM..
Old 12-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting. I've been wanting to hear Dylan's version. I enjoy both Bob's and Lindsey's.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Since everyone seems to be enjoying all of these recordings, I figured I'd offer up one more. This is another live recording of "Love Minus Zero / No Limit" from Mr. Dylan's 1978 album At Budokan. It's arguably one of the worst live albums ever, or at least one of the most confounding. This was Bob in full-force "'Legend' my ass, watch me 're-imagine' all of my most revered songs just because I can, motherf***ers" mode. And right before he suddenly up and discovered Jesus.

Yes, those are flutes.

http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...E2K3BVF50JHIWK

Enjoy?