User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Behind the Mask turns 34

Its past the official release date but today is Earth Day and I will always remember I drove to the mall on Earth day in 1990 and bought the new BTM cassette tape. I was so excited. Not only was the album released but the summer tour was sweeping the country. But it would soon all be postponed until the late fall because of Chris's dad passing.
I did not know the 1991 Grammy Awards nominated BTM for best album package. Does anyone have information on this? Who won that year? I could not find information. I saw that Tusk was nominated for best album package too. However it was a double album with interesting photos. Did I miss something by buying the cassette? What kind of package did BTM have?
I am in the minority but the album cover for BTM is one of my favorites. I think the cover captures the band perfectly. So much symbolism and makes you think. This is what the old classic and vintage album covers were like.
Here we are 34 year later. The album barely cracked the top 20 in the states but went right to #1 in the UK.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The winner was a Suzanne Vega album (Len Peltier, Jeff Gold, and Suzanne Vega).

No idea of the album package, I also got just the cassette whose package wasn't big deal.

But months later I found a Save Me CD single, that contained live versions of Everywhere and Another Woman from the 1987 tour. I think it was an european CD edition. I actually bought it because of those live songs.

This was the cover:

The cool thing was that the cd book contained a "genealogic tree" of the band at that moment. I think the link doesn't visualize the pic so I attach it, sorry it's pretty small.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (99.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-22-2024, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post

No idea of the album package, I also got just the cassette whose package wasn't big deal.

But months later I found a Save Me CD single, that contained live versions of Everywhere and Another Woman from the 1987 tour. I think it was an european CD edition. I actually bought it because of those live songs.

This was the cover:

The cool thing was that the cd book contained a "genealogic tree" of the band at that moment. I think the link doesn't visualize the pic so I attach it, sorry it's pretty small.
My favorite thing about the Tusk tour book was the family tree of the band. A flood a couple of years ago killed it(it wasn't covered in flood water, but managed to absorb it upwards, and glued it together. I still couldn't bear to throw it away... imma dork).
Old 04-23-2024, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

This was the cover:

In 1990 most record stores were not even selling albums. It was mostly CDs and cassettes. I bought a cassette because I was living in the stone age in 1990 and did not have a CD player yet. Our 1983 car did have a nice tape player though.
I went to Ebay and was looking at BTM vinyl records. I did not see anything special except the album sleeve with some photos and lyrics. Perhaps there was a special edition? Or the Grammys were so impressed with the album cover and theme of Masks they nominated the album.
Unopened/sealed BTM albums are selling up to $40 each!
I miss the days of buying albums. Rippling off the cellophane and that fresh cardboard and vinyl smell. It was an object you could hold in both hands and spend hours dissecting the front, back, and lyrics sheet. I can remember the last album that I bought (new release). It was Stevie's RAL. From then on I bought cassettes unless it was a vintage Mac album and I bought the album. I did not get a bloody CD player until 1994 and then replaced all of my Mac/solo albums except RAL. RAL was truly a benchmark and turning poing in my life
Old 04-23-2024, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got the limited edition box CD with picture disc.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B8834189-E6C8-44FA-A932-8E602555401E.jpeg (23.2 KB, 11 views)

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 04-23-2024 at 08:12 PM..
Old 04-24-2024, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have this same "box set". I'd guess this is what the Grammy nomination was for but maybe it was for the rather large CD booklet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I got the limited edition box CD with picture disc.

Old 04-24-2024, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Isn't it the same that was used on the 1995's Rock Family Trees documentary?

Personally, I have a copy of BTM on cassette and CD. The cassette has a simple booklet, only with the names of the songs, and credits. It's an original one, from 1990.
The CD has the booklet with those famous pics of the band members with the masks, and it's original too, I mean, from 1990, and made in Germany.

And of course the same doubt and discussion, why they never released a very very double album, with bonus tracks and stuff!!!! 34 years of the same thing, unfortunately...
Old 04-25-2024, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, 34 years ago I was really bummed. The album, imo, is their worst.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Well, 34 years ago I was really bummed. The album, imo, is their worst.
My usual two pennyworth on this subject.

A third of a century has not dimmed the sense of despondency I felt when I first listened to it. I first became a fan when Tango came out, and whilst that was a flawed gem, it captivated my interest and I explored the band's history.

And then this. Someone on Rolling Stone in his review had the nerve to say "what's really funny, though, is that the addition of Rick Vito and Billy Burnette is the best thing to ever happen to Fleetwood Mac." I suppose in the sense that they didn't suffer from schizophrenia, join a cult, or sleep with Mick's wife or descend into a spiral of drink and drugs that might be true. Stevie was terrible on this album, Christine was sub-par and occasionally embarassingly so and seemed to know it.

I didn't know whether to laugh or just stare at the wall to see if doing that was more fulfilling. Out of the Cradle a couple of years later was a cathartic moment and a hint at what could have been...
Old 04-25-2024, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
My usual two pennyworth on this subject.

A third of a century has not dimmed the sense of despondency I felt when I first listened to it. I first became a fan when Tango came out, and whilst that was a flawed gem, it captivated my interest and I explored the band's history.

And then this. Someone on Rolling Stone in his review had the nerve to say "what's really funny, though, is that the addition of Rick Vito and Billy Burnette is the best thing to ever happen to Fleetwood Mac." I suppose in the sense that they didn't suffer from schizophrenia, join a cult, or sleep with Mick's wife or descend into a spiral of drink and drugs that might be true. Stevie was terrible on this album, Christine was sub-par and occasionally embarassingly so and seemed to know it.

I didn't know whether to laugh or just stare at the wall to see if doing that was more fulfilling. Out of the Cradle a couple of years later was a cathartic moment and a hint at what could have been...
I remember thinking: the arrangements are awful. Some of the songs had beautiful bones. Without all of the bloat and gloss, maybe three or four of the songs would have been very nice. But once Lindsey had left in 87, I lost a lot of interest.

Always loved Love Shines and Heart of Stone, though.

Funny you should mention Out of the Cradle, which I loved. I ended up getting it the same day I bought Time. Naturally, LB's album is a classic, but Time is misunderstood, underrated, and on the whole much better than Mask. "Sooner or Later" alone was worth the admission. And if you skip the Dave Mason tunes, and the last one...
Old 04-25-2024, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I remember thinking: the arrangements are awful. Some of the songs had beautiful bones. Without all of the bloat and gloss, maybe three or four of the songs would have been very nice. But once Lindsey had left in 87, I lost a lot of interest.

Always loved Love Shines and Heart of Stone, though.

Funny you should mention Out of the Cradle, which I loved. I ended up getting it the same day I bought Time. Naturally, LB's album is a classic, but Time is misunderstood, underrated, and on the whole much better than Mask
. "Sooner or Later" alone was worth the admission. And if you skip the Dave Mason tunes, and the last one...
I'm pretty much with you on this. I don't think Greg Ladanyi did the band any favours with his production and it's noticeable that he wasn't brought back for the later two Chris songs you mentioned. The title track is the best of an otherwise poor set: it has an element of mystery to it that reminds me of HAHTF or MTM. Christine once said the 90s Mac albums were terrible, but as you point out, Time was a better body of work. Yes, BTM wen straight to no 1 in the UK but that was due to a post- Tango/GH momentum. It dropped down the charts soon enough and the singles were duds.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As Long As You Follow, No Questions Asked, Save Me, Behind the Mask, In the Back of My Mind, Do You Know, When It Comes to Love, Love is Dangerous, Freedom, Skies the Limit, all of these are some of my favorite FM songs. Plus the outtakes Intuition and Game of Love, two incredible songs that I still don’t understand how they didn’t make it on the record. And Love Shines and Heart of Stone showed that Christine, Mick, John, and Billy could have made more great music together, especially when teamed with the right producer.

I don’t think Christine had anything to be embarrassed about on this album or of this era- she shined during this time, more than fulfilling what she started on Tango with Little Lies, Everywhere, and Isn’t It Midnight.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie was terrible, Rick’s guitar tone did nothing for me, and Billy was too tame even though he arguably had the “edgiest” song on the album.

It was corporate schlock at its most corporate. Not bad, not satisfying, just there.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-25-2024, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It was corporate schlock at its most corporate. Not bad, not satisfying, just there.
Perfectly phrased. At least a terrible album is memorable. This is mostly beige wallpaper and mauve carpeting in the dermatologist’s office.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
As Long As You Follow, No Questions Asked, Save Me, Behind the Mask, In the Back of My Mind, Do You Know, When It Comes to Love, Love is Dangerous, Freedom, Skies the Limit, all of these are some of my favorite FM songs. Plus the outtakes Intuition and Game of Love, two incredible songs that I still don’t understand how they didn’t make it on the record. And Love Shines and Heart of Stone showed that Christine, Mick, John, and Billy could have made more great music together, especially when teamed with the right producer.

I don’t think Christine had anything to be embarrassed about on this album or of this era- she shined during this time, more than fulfilling what she started on Tango with Little Lies, Everywhere, and Isn’t It Midnight.
I agree. Chris yet again brought some great songs. Her voice meshed with Billy really good on their duet.
The album is a mixed bag for me but I tend to appreciate it more than Tango. If you call BTM corporate rock then you must call Tango corporate synth pop. I'll take the corporate rock category any day.
Stevie's songs are sad and bad. Freedom is ok. But Second Time and Affairs Of The Heart are some of the worst songs she ever recorded.
I dont care for Billy's singing and I cant stand Hard Feelings but he's got the best song on the album - go figure that one out.
I really like the title track and its nice to get a dark Chris song but I can never explain why I dont like the song more. I cant put my finger on it but the song does not grab you like a Chris track should. The tempo or the beat or something.
I just like hearing the classic Mac again. None on the songs on Tango sound like Fleetwood Mac if you strip all vocals. BTM has many classic Mac elements and Chris plays so much on the album. Besides the OWTS tour with Chris, the 1990 tour is my favorite. The band was on fire and poured their energy into every song. It was the last of their arena rock before a more tame and neutered Dance would happen 7 years later. Stevie was just drugged out and danced. Chris and the guys took control of the show.

Winner circle:

Back of My Mind
Love Is Dangerous
When It Comes To Love
Save Me
Skies The Limit

Meh:
Behind The Mask
Freedom
Do You Know
Stand On The Rock
When The Sun Goes Down

Horrible:
Second Time
Affairs of the heart
Hard Feelings

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-26-2024 at 11:17 AM..