User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Nobody’s ever disputed that Mick called Kieth to have him ask Lindsey to join the band. Bob quit and the band had just gotten an advance. However, Mick didn’t know anything about Lindsey beyond he was a good guitarist. Once the equation was explained, Mick was on board.

Not really a fair comment, since Mick’s only context for what he was listening to was that it had been recorded in the studio he was scouting. He briefly met Lindsey, so being able to put a face with the guitarist also helped, but that’s all Mick knew.

Fleetwood Mac was founded by Peter Green, it was Mick’s idea to add Danny Kirwan, the band had had a revolving door of guitarists, and his brother-in-law was Eric Clapton. Mick’s natural inclination would have been to focus on the guitar player, especially since it was clear Bob Welch was burning out.

Probably “I have no interest in doing a Buckingham Nicks reunion.” And, I think he stopped schmoozing her once Christine came back, assuming (as most of us did) that Stevie would be excited about making a Fleetwood Mac album with the full lineup. I think there was mutual bitterness surrounding LBCM. I also think they had very different visions for the 2018 tour.
If Fleetwood Mac didn’t have a singer in 1974, Mick would have recalled the Buckingham Nicks album and said I want that lady from the album and not the guy.

Re: the 2018 setlist…do you think Lindsey wanted to do the same setlist as OWTS or to do new songs like they did on Live 2013 and then release an EP or album later?
Old 01-26-2024, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
If Fleetwood Mac didn’t have a singer in 1974, Mick would have recalled the Buckingham Nicks album and said I want that lady from the album and not the guy.

Re: the 2018 setlist…do you think Lindsey wanted to do the same setlist as OWTS or to do new songs like they did on Live 2013 and then release an EP or album later?
It was amazing that they did 8 new songs on the BuckVie tour. I think we know who was to blame for the stale set lists. Old Goatsy.
Old 01-26-2024, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly, I don't think Lindsey ever had a chance to discuss anything pertaining to setlists for the 2018 tour. I'm pretty sure I have my facts straight here, but after the disagreement about the timing of the tour he (Lindsey) did sign the agreement to do the tour - which is why he has able to sue. He caved and agreed to the tour which wasn't what Goatsy wanted. Had he been in rehearsals, then sure setlist conversations would have occurred.

It's fascinating that of all the narratives to come out of the 2018 showdown, this whole notion that Lindsey held the lock and key for all Fleetwood Mac tour set lists still continues to pop up. I mean, how many times has Stevie mentioned in pre-tour press interviews that they have to play the hits? Lindsey made comments about not wanting to open with The Chain AGAIN for the 2009 tour.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-26-2024 at 01:27 PM..
Old 01-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Isn't that sorta a giant assumption? After Bob left, they were down to Christine on vocals. As others have stated (I think) Mick always said he overheard Lindsey guitar part blasting through the speakers in the studio control room. It's possible he didn't hear any of Stevie's vocals at that exact point in time, at that very moment.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Isn't that sorta a giant assumption? After Bob left, they were down to Christine on vocals. As others have stated (I think) Mick always said he overheard Lindsey guitar part blasting through the speakers in the studio control room. It's possible he didn't hear any of Stevie's vocals at that exact point in time, at that very moment.
Mick wrote in his book he did hear Stevie, too. The way he tells it sounds like a dramatic license to me. However long ago a ledgie mentioned the song Stevie was rehearsing at that moment. It is not mentioned in the book so it could be another source of this same episode.

I thought the guitar sounded great, but my attention had been caught by what I saw through the thick glass that separated Sound City's two recording studios. It was a girl, rehearsing a vocal in the next studio. A piano track was playing, and I could faintly hear her say something to the engineer about maybe wanting to have bird sounds somewhere in the mix of the song she was working on. I even remember what she was wearing a long, sort of Indian cotton skirt and a little blouse, real pretty. In fact, I thought she was one of the loveliest and most attractive girls I'd ever seen, but I somehow managed to remain nonchalant as I blithely asked Keith Olsen,
"Who's that pretty girl in there?"

Her name, he said, was Stevie Nicks.

But yes in these forums are lot of threads based on assumptions, speculations, or theories of 70s facts based in members behaviors of 2018 onwards. I'm not surprised some day Stevie will be blamed for the global warming or Lindsey for the 2020 pandemic.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
But yes in these forums are lot of threads based on assumptions, speculations, or theories of 70s facts based in members behaviors of 2018 onwards. I'm not surprised some day Stevie will be blamed for the global warming or Lindsey for the 2020 pandemic.
Oh, it's coming. I'm not even sure how much I trust THEIR OWN recollections of things. 50 years ago is a long time, especially when you were in a haze at the time. Not to mention that Old Goatsy(I'm so happy that Goatsy is catching on ) is completely delusional.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, that was my impression as well. I think the others had already signed on so they were stuck touring or lose a lot of money by being in breach of the contract. However, they could have delayed the tour to work out the issues, but they obviously decided not to. In the end, they delayed the tour so that they new guys could rehearse, so the whole thing was silly, especially for grown adults. And I don't think his firing (such an ugly word ) had much, if anything, to do with the events of the award ceremony. Something else was going on behind the scenes. The other ridiculously stupid thing is the band, management, and high powered lawyers didn't bother to check that the 5 of them were equal participants in the partnership that was created after 75 and probably renewed in 97.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think Lindsey ever had a chance to discuss anything pertaining to setlists for the 2018 tour. I'm pretty sure I have my facts straight here, but after the disagreement about the timing of the tour he (Lindsey) did sign the agreement to do the tour - which is why he has able to sue. He caved and agreed to the tour which wasn't what Goatsy wanted. Had he been in rehearsals, then sure setlist conversations would have occurred.

It's fascinating that of all the narratives to come out of the 2018 showdown, this whole notion that Lindsey held the lock and key for all Fleetwood Mac tour set lists still continues to pop up. I mean, how many times has Stevie mentioned in pre-tour press interviews that they have to play the hits? Lindsey made comments about not wanting to open with The Chain AGAIN for the 2009 tour.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick wrote in his book he did hear Stevie, too. The way he tells it sounds like a dramatic license to me. However long ago a ledgie mentioned the song Stevie was rehearsing at that moment. It is not mentioned in the book so it could be another source of this same episode.

I thought the guitar sounded great, but my attention had been caught by what I saw through the thick glass that separated Sound City's two recording studios. It was a girl, rehearsing a vocal in the next studio. A piano track was playing, and I could faintly hear her say something to the engineer about maybe wanting to have bird sounds somewhere in the mix of the song she was working on. I even remember what she was wearing a long, sort of Indian cotton skirt and a little blouse, real pretty. In fact, I thought she was one of the loveliest and most attractive girls I'd ever seen, but I somehow managed to remain nonchalant as I blithely asked Keith Olsen,

Yes, Mick heard Stevie. He really asked Keith about Lindsey so he could get Stevie because he thought her singing was above and beyond the guitar sound on Frozen Love!
Old 01-26-2024, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Again, that assumes Mick understood the context of what he was listening to. Keith said Mick wanted “that guitarist from that band you played me.” It wasn’t an “and not” thing. That’s a massive overstatement. Mick was only there to audition the studio and dug the guitar playing. With Welch appearing to be on his way out, maybe the guitars hit a little harder than they would have, otherwise.

That said, if Fleetwood Mac had had a significant history of having a vocalist up to that point and the vibe was their vocalist was about to quit, I have no doubt he would have been more focused on the vocalist, even if only subconsciously.

Quote:
Lindsey was pretty vocal about wanting to make a new album, even after LBCM. I don’t think he liked the idea of going beyond the 1975-87, 97 works.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2024, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think Lindsey ever had a chance to discuss anything pertaining to setlists for the 2018 tour.
Mick did that interview in Rolling Stone in 2017 where he said that he and Stevie had that listening party and that Stevie wanted to do songs that had been forgotten. He said something about he felt that Lindsey and Stevie should do something from Buckingham Nicks and that Christine should do a blues song, so it was easy to read between the lines that he was talking the non-Rumours band material.

Quote:
but after the disagreement about the timing of the tour he (Lindsey) did sign the agreement to do the tour - which is why he has able to sue.
He never signed off on it. He even said as much in one of the interviews. However, in California, all that’s needed is a verbal agreement, which is how he was able to sue.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2024, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Thanks for sharing - it’s been several years since I’ve revisited any of the books so my memory probably forgot some stuff.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Had Lindsey folded to StevieÂ’s demand to do pre-White Album stuff and no new material AND he just didnÂ’t even speak at MusiCares exactly 6 years ago, I think this would have been the set.

1. DonÂ’t Stop
2. The Chain
3. Dreams
4. I DonÂ’t Want To Know
5. IsnÂ’t It Midnight
6. Black Magic Woman (Stevie on vocal, Neale Heywood on lead but still in the background)
7. Second Hand News
8. Tell Me All The Things You Do (with Stevie instead of her backstage as she was in 2018)
9. Angel (Tusk song)
10. Hold Me (already done on LBCM Tour)
11. Rhiannon
12. Say You Love Me
13. Big Love
14. Landslide
15. Hypnotized
16. Little Lies
17. Station Man (with Stevie)
18. Over My Head (Mick on cocktail)
19. Straight Back (Mick on cocktail)
20. You Make Loving Fun
21. Stop Messin (Lindsey on vocal)
22. World Turning
Encore
23. Tusk
24. Crystal
Old 01-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Had Lindsey folded to StevieÂ’s demand to do pre-White Album stuff and no new material AND he just didnÂ’t even speak at MusiCares exactly 6 years ago, I think this would have been the set.

1. DonÂ’t Stop
2. The Chain
3. Dreams
4. I DonÂ’t Want To Know
5. IsnÂ’t It Midnight
6. Black Magic Woman (Stevie on vocal, Neale Heywood on lead but still in the background)
7. Second Hand News
8. Tell Me All The Things You Do (with Stevie instead of her backstage as she was in 2018)
9. Angel (Tusk song)
10. Hold Me (already done on LBCM Tour)
11. Rhiannon
12. Say You Love Me
13. Big Love
14. Landslide
15. Hypnotized
16. Little Lies
17. Station Man (with Stevie)
18. Over My Head (Mick on cocktail)
19. Straight Back (Mick on cocktail)
20. You Make Loving Fun
21. Stop Messin (Lindsey on vocal)
22. World Turning
Encore
23. Tusk
24. Crystal
There is zero chance of this setlist ever happening with Lindsey. I think he would agree to do Oh Well and he might even be on board with playing on Stevie doing the BMW cover and Chris doing something from her pre-75 catalog. But there’s no way Lindsey was singing Hypnotized, Tell Me…, and Stop Messin’ Around and not doing Go Your Own Way. Also, Stevie seems to not even acknowledge the existence of I Don’t Want to Know.

I think Lindsey would have 100% been on board with broadening the setlist for a 2018 tour, he just would push for the 75-87, 97+ stuff that they did together. Look no further than the BuckVie tour where they did unearthed Wish You Were Here for its live debut 35 years after it was released and never played the most obvious LB/CM song: Don’t Stop (and World Turning for that matter).

You could make a great set with some key warhorses and rarities like Brown Eyes, Angel, Walk a Thin Line, That’s Alright, Book of Love, Wish You Were Here, Tango in the Night, Isn’t it Midnight, and hell, I hate this song, but I think a retooled, modernized, and less whassamattahbabayy version of When I See You Again would work.

Putting the stale setlist on Lindsey is laughable.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
There is zero chance of this setlist ever happening with Lindsey. I think he would agree to do Oh Well and he might even be on board with playing on Stevie doing the BMW cover and Chris doing something from her pre-75 catalog. But there’s no way Lindsey was singing Hypnotized, Tell Me…, and Stop Messin’ Around and not doing Go Your Own Way. Also, Stevie seems to not even acknowledge the existence of I Don’t Want to Know.

I think Lindsey would have 100% been on board with broadening the setlist for a 2018 tour, he just would push for the 75-87, 97+ stuff that they did together. Look no further than the BuckVie tour where they did unearthed Wish You Were Here for its live debut 35 years after it was released and never played the most obvious LB/CM song: Don’t Stop (and World Turning for that matter).

You could make a great set with some key warhorses and rarities like Brown Eyes, Angel, Walk a Thin Line, That’s Alright, Book of Love, Wish You Were Here, Tango in the Night, Isn’t it Midnight, and hell, I hate this song, but I think a retooled, modernized, and less whassamattahbabayy version of When I See You Again would work.

Putting the stale setlist on Lindsey is laughable.
Buckingham has demonstrated a willingness to unearth some deep cuts on his most recent solo tours, but some of the least inspired setlists have happened under his watch: the Unleashed Tour only had "I Know I'm Not Wrong" and "Storms" and the On With the Show Tour only had "Sisters of the Moon", "Seven Wonders", and "I Know I'm Not Wrong" (the latter of which was swapped with "Bleed to Love Her", an admittedly decent selection). Buckingham certainly has influence in picking the setlist, particularly his own material, and there are multiple songs of his that appear on nearly every setlist: Big Love, I'm So Afraid, Never Going Back Again, Tusk, and Go Your Own Way. Add "The Chain" and "World Turning", both of which Buckingham prominently sings on, that leaves very little room for any deep cuts within a Fleetwood Mac setlist.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Buckingham has demonstrated a willingness to unearth some deep cuts on his most recent solo tours, but some of the least inspired setlists have happened under his watch: the Unleashed Tour only had "I Know I'm Not Wrong" and "Storms" and the On With the Show Tour only had "Sisters of the Moon", "Seven Wonders", and "I Know I'm Not Wrong" (the latter of which was swapped with "Bleed to Love Her", an admittedly decent selection). Buckingham certainly has influence in picking the setlist, particularly his own material, and there are multiple songs of his that appear on nearly every setlist: Big Love, I'm So Afraid, Never Going Back Again, Tusk, and Go Your Own Way. Add "The Chain" and "World Turning", both of which Buckingham prominently sings on, that leaves very little room for any deep cuts within a Fleetwood Mac setlist.
My point (which admittedly wasn’t so obvious) about blaming Lindsey being laughable is more that they’re all boring and conservative with setlists.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:01 PM
SteveMacD
This message has been deleted by SteveMacD.