Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wow, 64 is way too young! RIP Bob and thanks for the music.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
There goes the dream.
Me too. My all time favorite lineup! (assuming you don't mean the ENTIRE lineup tour)
Old 01-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very sad news indeed. RIP Bob. My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sad news.

Matt
Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So sad to hear about his death...hopefully we don't lose anybody else for a long time.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

International Business Times
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2778...intestinal.htm

By Jason Van Hoven: Subscribe to Jason's RSS feed

January 6, 2012 3:28 PM EST

Bob Weston, former Fleetwood Mac guitarist on the albums "Penguin" and "Mystery to Me," died Tuesday from a gastric intestinal hemorrhage at the age of 64, according to reports.

Weston's official Web site said police found him dead in his home in north London on Tuesday after friends became concerned that they had not heard from him for several days. Perezhilton.com says the suspicion was raised when Weston never showed up to work on a new album with Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor. According to Reuters, London police confirmed Weston's death, and said they were not treating it as suspicious.

Weston replaced guitarist Danny Kirwan joined for Fleetwood Mac in 1972, going on tour with the band for two years. It was during the American tour with Mick Fleetwood that Fleetwood discovered Weston having an affair with his wife, Jenny Boyd. Weston was subsequently fired in 1974.

After his short time with Fleetwood Mac, Weston went on to release several solo albums and played with musicians such as Long John Baldry, Murray Head, Sandy Denny and Steve Marriott, and bands such as Ian Wallace's All-Stars Band, according to Billboard.com.

"My family and I have lost a dear friend; the world has lost an enormously talented musician, with unfinished business," said Weston's Web site webmaster and friend Steve Fairhead on the Web site.

Weston is survived by his younger brother Peter.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

CBS News January 6, 2012 4:07
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_16...on-dies-at-64/

Ex-Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Weston dies at 64By Lauren Moraski

(CBS) Bob Weston, the British guitarist who played with Fleetwood Mac in the '70s, has died. He was 64.

Police found Weston's body in his London home on Jan. 3 after friends became concerned about the "the lack of response, having not seen him for a couple of days," explains a message on BobWeston.com.

"He was found in his bed with the TV on; it is presumed he was asleep and didn't suffer," according to a post on the website.

An autopsy revealed the causes of death as gastric intestinal hemorrhage, cirrhosis of the liver and throat problems, reports the Associated Press.

"He was in fine spirits, and was involved in several new projects," his website reveals. "He also seemed to be very fit."

Weston joined Fleetwood Mac in 1972 as a replacement for Danny Kirwan. He played on the albums "Penguin" and "Mystery to Me."

While on tour in late 1973, drummer Mick Fleetwood found out that Weston was having an affair with his wife, Jenny Boyd. Weston was fired, and the rest of the tour was scrapped. Two years later, Mac staples Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham joined the group.

Weston, a Liverpool, England native, released solo material through the years and recorded with various music artists, including Long John Baldry, Murray Head, Bob Welch and Steve Marriott.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Junior Ledgie

Unhappy

RIP Bob Weston. I loved his work on Penguin and Mystery to Me and thought it would have been great if he could have played on another Mac album. He really hit his stride on Mystery to Me IMO.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Bob Weston Has Died

I'm sorry to hear the news that Bob Weston has passed away.My condolences to his family and friends.RIP Bob.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy My condolences

I really hate to read this, especially with losing Bob Brunning not long ago.

My condolences are with the Weston family at this time.

No more for a long time, please.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, this is a real shocker to me. I am glad he continued to be active and musically-engaged right up 'til the end. Glad, too, he appeared not to suffer.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bob's greatest contribution to FM in my view, the opening of Why.

http://youtu.be/LMZ332MRMMc

Matt
Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Bob's greatest contribution to FM in my view, the opening of Why.

http://youtu.be/LMZ332MRMMc

Matt
Totally agree, Matt.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dave Laing
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 8 January 2012 10.49 EST Article history
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...?newsfeed=true

The long-lasting pop band Fleetwood Mac is also one of the most controversial, its several changes of style and personnel often arising from romantic entanglements rather than musical differences. Bob Weston, who has died aged 64 of a gastrointestinal haemorrhage and cirrhosis of the liver, was the band's lead guitarist in the early 1970s, and contributed to both the evolution of its sound and its turbulent history.

Born in Plymouth, Devon, he began lessons on the violin at the age of 8, switching to the guitar at 12. Like many others, he was swept up in the rhythm and blues boom of the early 1960s, citing as influences in interviews such figures as Muddy Waters and Hubert Sumlin (accompanist of Howlin' Wolf), as well as the jazz musician Django Reinhardt.

By the mid-1960s, Weston was in London, looking for groups to join and recording sessions to play on. His first taste of success came with The Kinetic, a group of British musicians who worked mainly in France. As well as making the album Live Your Life (1967), they supported such luminaries as Jimi Hendrix and Chuck Berry in Paris shows.

Back in London, Weston's skills as a creative blues guitarist led to work with the singer Aliki Ashman and the organist and singer Graham Bond. In 1970, Weston joined the backing group of the blues singer Long John Baldry, touring Europe and the US as well as playing on Baldry's album Everything Stops for Tea (1972), produced by two of the singer's proteges, Rod Stewart and Elton John.

Baldry's band sometimes performed on the same bill as Fleetwood Mac, which since 1968 had been in the forefront of British blues groups. This was due mainly to the imagination and skill of the singer and guitarist Peter Green, who had crafted such big hits as Albatross and Man of the World (both 1969). However, Green's departure in 1970, followed by the loss of fellow guitarists Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan, had left the band rudderless. In 1972, the remaining members decided to recruit Dave Walker of the blues rock band Savoy Brown as lead vocalist, and Weston as lead guitarist.

He recalled meeting Kirwan in The Speakeasy, a musicians' club in London's West End. "He rather sarcastically wished me the best of luck, adding 'You're going to need it.'"

Kirwan's remark proved to be prophetic, although to begin with, Weston made a significant contribution to the group's sound on stage and in the studio. Fleetwood Mac was in transition from being a blues band to a more melodic pop-rock one, and Weston was adept at both styles. He played on the 1973 albums, Penguin and Mystery to Me, co-writing several songs. Penguin is regarded by many Fleetwood Mac aficionados as one of the group's most underrated recordings.

They were also on a schedule of relentless touring, which was beginning to take its toll. Walker was unceremoniously fired early in 1973, there were tensions between the husband-and- wife team of Christine Perfect and John McVie, and when Weston began an affair with Jenny Boyd, the wife of drummer Mick Fleetwood, the scene was set for a split. This duly came in Lincoln, Nebraska, during an American tour in October 1973.

Weston was woken by a phone call summoning him to the tour manager's hotel room. He was told that other group members had already departed, that the remaining tour dates would be cancelled and that his services were no longer required. He was put on the next flight back to London.

This proved to be a cathartic moment for Fleetwood Mac. Within a year they had re-formed with the lineup that would go on to create Rumours (1977), although in the interim their manager had formed another "Fleetwood Mac" to fulfil US tour commitments. It has sometimes been alleged, inaccurately, that Weston was part of that group.

In fact, he landed on his feet in London, where his Fleetwood Mac credentials opened doors. He had abortive discussions with George Harrison about collaborations, but toured with blues veteran Alexis Korner and played on Sandy Denny's final album, Rendezvous (1977). His most lucrative project was with the actor Murray Head, star of Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar. Weston featured on Head's album Say It Ain't So (1975), a big hit in France and Canada, and led Head's touring band.

Weston also recorded three solo albums, Nightlight (1980), Studio Picks (1981) and There's a Heaven (1999), and spent much of the last two decades writing or arranging music for films and television in France and Britain. Still in touch with older musicians, he had been due to record with the ex-Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor. He is survived by his younger brother, Peter.

• Robert Joseph Weston, guitarist and songwriter, born 1 November 1947; died 3 January 2012
Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

S**t,
Another unnecessary loss.
RIP Bob, and my condolences to all his family and friends.