Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Live Chicken Shack CD?

I would like to get some live Chicken Shack recordings. I noticed in the Penguin discography that there is a CD called "On Air". There are 12 tracks. Does anyone have this album? Are these recordings from the BBC? I noticed that "I'd Rather Go Blind" and "Get Like You Used To Be" are on the CD. Does anyone know if Christine played on any of the other tracks as well?
Old 02-14-2003, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Live CS with CM

Yes, Christine is on the CS "On air" CD. You're right, they are live BBC recordings. Unfortunately, the CD liner notes don't indicate which songs were recorded when so you'll have to do a lot of guessing as to which ones she's on specifically but naturally she does sing lead on IRGB, GLYUTB, "Hey baby" and a track which is billed as "Night is when it matters" but it's actually a live recording of the song "No road is the right road" which you'll remember from the CP album. I would imagine she is playing on some others too like "Tired eyes" etc. but it's pretty clear that she is not on later more rocking CS material such as "Telling your fourtune" for example and songs like "Tears in the wind" & "Things you put me through" were the first songs to feature Christine's replacement in the shack, Paul Raymond, who later with shack bass player Andy Silvester went on to play with Dave Walker in Savoy Brown, Danny Kirwan on "Second chapter", etc.

There is another live CS CD you'll see in the Penguin discography called "From the vaults" which is also live CS material presumably from different eras and once again the liner notes don't say when these recordings are from either but at least they are different recordings then all of those which appear on the "On air" CD except "You've done lost your good thing now" (which is billed as "You done lost that good thing now" on the "On air" CD but it is the same exact recording on both CD's), apart from that though all of the recordings are unique to their respective CD's. Anyways, since the notes don't say when the songs are from you'll have to guess again as to which songs she's on but she's obviously on "When the train comes back", "It's OK with me baby", "Strange things happening" & "Mean old world" from FTV as she's singing lead on these. I'd imagine that she is playing on some of the others too though such as "Night life", "Tell me", "Lonesome whistle blues", "The letter", "San Ho Zay", etc. but who knows for sure?

So, I hope this was of some help.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 02-14-2003 at 09:17 AM..
Old 02-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Live CS with CM

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Christine's replacement in the shack, Paul Raymond, who later with shack bass player Andy Silvester went on to play with Dave Walker in Savoy Brown...
Paul Raymond then went on to be U.F.O.'s keyboardist, as well.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Live CS with CM

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Yes, Christine is on the CS "On air" CD. You're right, they are live BBC recordings. Unfortunately, the CD liner notes don't indicate which songs were recorded when so you'll have to do a lot of guessing as to which ones she's on specifically but naturally she does sing lead on IRGB, GLYUTB, "Hey baby" and a track which is billed as "Night is when it matters" but it's actually a live recording of the song "No road is the right road" which you'll remember from the CP album. I would imagine she is playing on some others too like "Tired eyes" etc. but it's pretty clear that she is not on later more rocking CS material such as "Telling your fourtune" for example and songs like "Tears in the wind" & "Things you put me through" were the first songs to feature Christine's replacement in the shack, Paul Raymond, who later with shack bass player Andy Silvester went on to play with Dave Walker in Savoy Brown, Danny Kirwan on "Second chapter", etc.

There is another live CS CD you'll see in the Penguin discography called "From the vaults" which is also live CS material presumably from different eras and once again the liner notes don't say when these recordings are from either but at least they are different recordings then all of those which appear on the "On air" CD except "You've done lost your good thing now" (which is billed as "You done lost that good thing now" on the "On air" CD but it is the same exact recording on both CD's), apart from that though all of the recordings are unique to their respective CD's. Anyways, since the notes don't say when the songs are from you'll have to guess again as to which songs she's on but she's obviously on "When the train comes back", "It's OK with me baby", "Strange things happening" & "Mean old world" from FTV as she's singing lead on these. I'd imagine that she is playing on some of the others too though such as "Night life", "Tell me", "Lonesome whistle blues", "The letter", "San Ho Zay", etc. but who knows for sure?

So, I hope this was of some help.

John
Thanks, John for the help. I just ordered the "On Air" CD from GEMM. I had missed the "From The Vaults" CD, but I will be looking for that one too since it is different from "On Air". I wasn't sure just how many songs that she played or sang on since Stan Webb didn't really seem to want to let her do very much, at least as far as singing lead.

I don't know if you are having anything to do with this, but I like the new layout of the Penguin discography. Now, the Chicken Shack albums are all in one place and everything is much easier to find now.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Live CS with CM

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
Thanks, John for the help. I just ordered the "On Air" CD from GEMM. I had missed the "From The Vaults" CD, but I will be looking for that one too since it is different from "On Air". I wasn't sure just how many songs that she played or sang on since Stan Webb didn't really seem to want to let her do very much, at least as far as singing lead.

I don't know if you are having anything to do with this, but I like the new layout of the Penguin discography. Now, the Chicken Shack albums are all in one place and everything is much easier to find now.
You're welcome, glad it was of help.

Yeah, you're right I'm helping out on the Penguin discography, thanks for the compliments. Marty and I still have a lot of checking over and sorting out to do but we are happy with the results so far and hopefully we can tidy it up before too long, any feedback is great to hear on it so keep those comments comin'.

It's hard to know what Stan Webb really thought about Christine in that regard as he seemed to speak highly of her and then after she had left CS, the press apparently kept hounding him with questions about the CP days of the shack and I'm guessing he got fed up with it and then downplayed her role in the band as you had seen/read, I guess we'll never know for sure, any "Stan the man" fans here that can clear this up?

ChiliD: Oh yeah UFO, gee I always just get stuck on only thinking of the Mac connection ones, I think Raymond had something to do with the Michael Schenker Group too didn't he? I might be mixing him up with one of the other Savoys...well, whatever.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 02-14-2003 at 01:31 PM..