The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2024, 10:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default 25+ years after The Dance — Was it worth it?

I’ll preferences by saying that I am really glad that they did tour after the dance because I really enjoyed seeing some of those live shows. But better or worse the kind of Spera of Stevie and Lindsey performing their “love affair” As a centerpiece of the stage show And some of the media promo for two decades.

Would things have been better if they just toured after the dance and then didn’t continue? Afterwards, the output from the band was just one big album and then the EP.

Probably the best outcome after the dance was the fact that Lindsey made a number of interesting, solo albums, but maybe those would’ve come out anyway. And chances are Stevie would’ve released a few albums as well over that. With or without Fleetwood Mac.

I think for those of us who who were there are in 1997, there was this thought that the reunion could yield this new period of creativity and material from the band and it kind of didn’t pan out Was there a lot of value to the fans for having the band together together touring for another 30 years?
Old 04-21-2024, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We didn't get any new music other than Say You Will(which sucks). BuckVie was a great album from FM, although it lacked the proper moniker.

Christine coming back was the highlight of their last 22 years, at least for me.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
BuckVie was a great album from FM, although it lacked the proper moniker.

Christine coming back was the highlight of their last 22 years, at least for me.
Rhino needs to do a deluxe repackaging, renaming it 'On With The Show' by Fleetwood Mac. A proper ending to the saga!
Old 04-22-2024, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Going back to 1997, my state of mind was like being in heaven, for seeing a reunion I thought would never happen. I did enjoy the NYC show of course.

Just glad they released SYW, but I didn't feel it as a big album. If it had been kind of a In the Meantime Say You Will, with a better production (maybe with Dashut?) probably I would have enjoyed much more. I even decided not to travel to see them, for Christine absence. But when I went to Dallas in 2009 for job reasons I coincided with them and of course I went. The best of that night was watching Storms live, something I also thought I wouldn't see ever.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Was it worth it for the band? Absolutely. Those were some very lucrative tours post Dance pre OWTS. I feel bad for Lindsey for pushing the band to make SYW and how they protested his decisions only to have the album considered a commercial failure at the time.
Was it worth it for the fans? Thats an open ended question. We got a very creative SYW but the blowback from that made them making new music (without Chris) stop in its tracks. The band became a summer tour oldies play the hits band. For the casual fan it definitely was worth it.
For the die hard fan there were some great moments digging into Tusk for rare live performances of some songs that were never done on a live stage before.
Looking back would it not have been amazing if Chris only took 7 years off instead of 14? That would have solved everything. However that is being greedy because it was a miracle at her age she came back with both feet to give us 3 tours and a BuckVie album.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Was it worth it, yes. The way it ended though, really exposed the severity of the rifts that went unresolved between Stevie and Lindsey (and quite frankly, the entire band). In terms of the "good will" amongst the band that was implied and expressed to fans, it's hard not to feel like you've been sold a line of BS for the past 20 years. How quickly the band was willing to revert to their tribe/allies within the band and find ways to justify to themselves what they were doing was simply because "the show must go on" was truly disappointing.

'97 happened out of business and financial reasons. The love fest tour of 2013 was a total sham. The 2014/2015 tour only happened because Christine genuinely wanted to return. After 40 years together did the band still have each others backs, apparently not.

The only genuine reconciliation the band can claim to have is between Christine and John.

Last edited by BigAl84; 04-22-2024 at 10:11 AM..
Old 04-23-2024, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I feel bad for Lindsey for pushing the band to make SYW and how they protested his decisions only to have the album considered a commercial failure at the time.
We got a very creative SYW but the blowback from that made them making new music (without Chris) stop in its tracks.
Was it a commercial failure? I know albums by legends like The Stones charted at #3 at that time and Macca, Elton and Streisand even lower. Of course, The Eagles had a masterful album release strategy with Walmart in 2007 highlighting that Long Road Out of Eden was the first Eagles album in 25+ years and if I recall, I bought it at a reasonable price.

What I love about Say You Will is that I was able to enjoy 9 Stevie songs on an FM album as well as hearing her do co-lead vocals on Miranda, Peacekeeper, What's The World Coming To, and Goodbye Baby. This is why I love the album. I'm not crazy about Lindsey's songs.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusha View Post
I’ll preferences by saying that I am really glad that they did tour after the dance because I really enjoyed seeing some of those live shows. But better or worse the kind of Spera of Stevie and Lindsey performing their “love affair” As a centerpiece of the stage show And some of the media promo for two decades.

Would things have been better if they just toured after the dance and then didn’t continue? Afterwards, the output from the band was just one big album and then the EP.

Probably the best outcome after the dance was the fact that Lindsey made a number of interesting, solo albums, but maybe those would’ve come out anyway. And chances are Stevie would’ve released a few albums as well over that. With or without Fleetwood Mac.

I think for those of us who who were there are in 1997, there was this thought that the reunion could yield this new period of creativity and material from the band and it kind of didn’t pan out Was there a lot of value to the fans for having the band together together touring for another 30 years?
I think in retrospect, it was period of little disappointments, one after the other. I wish Christine didn't leave, wished SYW was an album of all five and so much more. Oh Well
Old 04-28-2024, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Dance created an entire new generation of fans at the time...myself included
Old 04-29-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothegypsy View Post
The Dance created an entire new generation of fans at the time...myself included
Yea, it was pretty important for them. It revitalized the entire organization. Goats included.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There are many reasons to neg on The Dance and the large spans of group inactivity that followed, but the 1997 reconvening accomplished many things:

1--It provided a platform for Stevie Nick's second act. She earned her space front and center, looked and sounded great, and essentially introduced FM to a whole new generation of listeners. Key tracks: "Gold Dust Woman"; "Silver Springs"

2--For many, it promoted Lindsey as one fine, original guitar player. We fans did not need a reminder of this, but the general public did. Key tracks: "Big Love"; "My Little Demon"

3--It allowed Christine a graceful exit. She looked and sounded great on tour. And "Temporary One"--regardless of what some think about it--fit in perfectly with new music at the time. Key tracks: YMLF and "Temporary One." And on "Songbird," she sounds magnificent.

4. It allowed Mick and Lindsey to re-forge their bond. Those two are very much connected--the brain and the heart of the band.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
There are many reasons to neg on The Dance and the large spans of group inactivity that followed, but the 1997 reconvening accomplished many things:

3--It allowed Christine a graceful exit. She looked and sounded great on tour. And "Temporary One"--regardless of what some think about it--fit in perfectly with new music at the time. Key tracks: YMLF and "Temporary One." And on "Songbird," she sounds magnificent.
I'm feeling attacked!
Old 04-29-2024, 04:23 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
What I really would've liked was that the band had done a new record in 2015 when Chris rejoined the ranks. I am still somewhat in shock that that didn't happen... it was a no-brainer. And they should've filmed something like The Dance with her return to promote said album.

At this point I really only want two more things before I kak it: 1) A remastered version of The Dance (have ya'll seen the HD vids from Warners on youTube?) and 2) for Buckingham Nicks to finally get a decent release CD/vinyl release.