The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've watched quite a few movies these days, and especially teen/coming of age classics. Believe it or not i'd never watched 'The Breakfast Club'. It's quite entertaining. I've seen "Fast times at Ridgemont high", "Say anything...", "Heathers", and "Dazed and Confused" so far. If you have any suggestions of movies in that category please tell me i don't have anything left to watch!
Therefore yesterday to stay in the topic i went to see "The perks of being a wallflower". Has anybody seen it or read the book?
I really, really liked the movie. The soundtrack especially. There is this tunnel scene in the movie, which is arguably the most important one, where the kids listen to "Heroes" by Bowie. I love the song, but then i read somewhere that in the book, the song is actually "Landslide". Damn! Would have loved the soundtrack even more.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never saw the Wallflower movie...but sounds good.

I'm sure you have seen The Goonies
Other 80's suggestions:
Pretty in Pink (great soundtrack)
Sixteen Candles
Back to the Future

hmm...I'm drawing a blank...but if you like these type of movies (I love them) chick flicks of the 90's:

How to Make an American Quilt (w/ Winona Ryder)
Fried Green Tomatoes
Riding in Cars with Boys (Drew Barrymore, Penny Marshall directed)
A League of Their Own (another P. Marshall film)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All my life I have dreamed of leaving a winter climate and going somewhere warm. This is the first time I am making the dream happen. Tomorrow I leave for sunny Phoenix, Arizona to enjoy temps in the 70's while the people in my hometown suffer in the single digits -30's. Green grass, palm trees, leaves on the trees, flowers and blue sky everyday.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
Never saw the Wallflower movie...but sounds good.

I'm sure you have seen The Goonies
Other 80's suggestions:
Pretty in Pink (great soundtrack)
Sixteen Candles
Back to the Future

hmm...I'm drawing a blank...but if you like these type of movies (I love them) chick flicks of the 90's:

How to Make an American Quilt (w/ Winona Ryder)
Fried Green Tomatoes
Riding in Cars with Boys (Drew Barrymore, Penny Marshall directed)
A League of Their Own (another P. Marshall film)
Thank you for the suggestions!
Well i haven't seen the Goonies.... My 80's culture knowledge is limited, but i'm working on it! "Back to the future" is just the best though.
I'll try "Sixteen Candles" but it seems pretty cheesy (but so is "fast times at Ridgemont high").
Wow the cast of "A league of their own" is impressive. I adore Winona Ryder so "..American Quilt" should also work.
And "Fried Green Tomatoes" is one of my favorite movies. Aaah you have great taste.
Seriously try "The Perks of being a wallflower", you might really like it.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
All my life I have dreamed of leaving a winter climate and going somewhere warm. This is the first time I am making the dream happen. Tomorrow I leave for sunny Phoenix, Arizona to enjoy temps in the 70's while the people in my hometown suffer in the single digits -30's. Green grass, palm trees, leaves on the trees, flowers and blue sky everyday.
Are you moving or just visiting?

Our normal January temperatures are in the mid 60s, but it has been a very cold winter here so far. The other day it didn't even hit 40 degrees; that's unheard of for Austin. I'm dreaming of moving to the tropics- I detest anything below 70 degrees.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to book from Connecticut for hot as a mother weather .I love the heat.
Right now I'm freezing my fat a$$ off here even with the fat.LOL.

plus to add is cold feet.LOL.

I hate the cold.Its in the freaking 20's now.

Now as I see the cold weather and snow moving down to locations that don't see cold winter weather like where Louie is.I guess I have to move onto the equator and bake .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 01-18-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I went on my first date ever last night.

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much idk.

I just met this guy like 2 weeks ago and he seemed really cool. He plays drums in the campus band I'm singing/playing guitar in. Kind of cute and was really friendly to me and made a lot of effort to like talk to me, hang out with me around campus some, and get my number and stuff. So when he asked me a few days ago if I wanted to go on a double-date with him and his roommate [who I know from class]/roommate's gf I said sure.

He offered to come pick me up but I live like 20 minutes away so I drove myself to meet all of them. Then we went to dinner, and the food was good and everything and we had good conversations going throughout, but I felt like the other guy was talking to me more than the one who asked me out was. He was the one constantly asking if I liked the food, etc. The guy who asked me talked but it was never really directed toward me or anything. And then when it came time to pay, the waitress asked how we were going to split the checks and he looked at me and was like, "It's up to you." As if I was going to demand that he pay for me or something. So of course I said it was fine and I would pay for myself.. but idk, maybe I'm old fashioned. I just feel like if someone asks ME on a date and I spend $10 in gas to go meet them somewhere then they could at least pay for my meal? And the way he put me on the spot wasn't cool. I would have looked like a total jerk if I didn't pay for myself but at the same time the way he asked made it seem like he was up for paying for both of us...

Then we all went back to the 2 guys house [they are roommates] and we talked for a while, watched part of a movie, and browsed youtube. I was exhausted the whole time and kind of wishing I had gone back home after dinner but I didn't want to be rude.

It wasn't that I didn't have a good time, I just felt like it was a less-fun, more awkward, more tired version of what I would do with my regular friends.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I went on my first date ever last night.

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much idk.

I just met this guy like 2 weeks ago and he seemed really cool. He plays drums in the campus band I'm singing/playing guitar in. Kind of cute and was really friendly to me and made a lot of effort to like talk to me, hang out with me around campus some, and get my number and stuff. So when he asked me a few days ago if I wanted to go on a double-date with him and his roommate [who I know from class]/roommate's gf I said sure.

He offered to come pick me up but I live like 20 minutes away so I drove myself to meet all of them. Then we went to dinner, and the food was good and everything and we had good conversations going throughout, but I felt like the other guy was talking to me more than the one who asked me out was. He was the one constantly asking if I liked the food, etc. The guy who asked me talked but it was never really directed toward me or anything. And then when it came time to pay, the waitress asked how we were going to split the checks and he looked at me and was like, "It's up to you." As if I was going to demand that he pay for me or something. So of course I said it was fine and I would pay for myself.. but idk, maybe I'm old fashioned. I just feel like if someone asks ME on a date and I spend $10 in gas to go meet them somewhere then they could at least pay for my meal? And the way he put me on the spot wasn't cool. I would have looked like a total jerk if I didn't pay for myself but at the same time the way he asked made it seem like he was up for paying for both of us...

Then we all went back to the 2 guys house [they are roommates] and we talked for a while, watched part of a movie, and browsed youtube. I was exhausted the whole time and kind of wishing I had gone back home after dinner but I didn't want to be rude.

It wasn't that I didn't have a good time, I just felt like it was a less-fun, more awkward, more tired version of what I would do with my regular friends.
It looks as if he likes you just as a female buddy to hang out with in a platonic way.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenStevie View Post
It looks as if he likes you just as a female buddy to hang out with in a platonic way.
I really don't think so.

Last week in class the other guy asked if I had a boyfriend, then said he wanted to "set me up" with someone - the kid who asked me out (he didn't know we already knew each other).. When the kid did ask me out, he asked if I wanted to go on a "double date," and throughout the night the other guy kept referring to it as me & the kids "first date." Plus he's been walking me to class and stuff and texting me all time time, making sure I got home alright etc.

The problem is that he definitely acted like totally friendship-y etc... which I mean, I'm glad he wasn't putting a whole bunch of moves on me or anything (ideally) but he could have like looked at my face while we were talking and stuff...

Then again, I've never been on a date, so I don't really know. Like I said, maybe I was expecting too much.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anybody got a cure for feeling unmotivated??
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Went to see Natalie Cole last night. 61 years old and she was absolutely stunning! She sounded fantastic and she had the BEST BLING shoes EVER! I was mesmerized by them all night! Hail to the bling.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just upgraded my internet from normal DSL to ATT uverse.I just doubled my speed and my bandwidth cap from 150gb to 250gb.

Will see how it goes.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It snowed for the first time all winter today. We've gotten about 2.5 inches so far.

Here I am standing in it a few hours ago:

It's just POURING down. I know for most people snow isn't a biggie, but we don't get it much where I'm from and when we do get it, it usually doesn't stick haha. So this is a big spectacle.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy

I'm currently dealing with a touch of bronchitis. I'm also trying to do online 10th grade school work. :/, while helping my elderly grandparents.

So myv life is kinda in a rut, but I'm hopeful that things will change.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Are you moving or just visiting?
I was just visiting friend's there for my vacation. I did live there for 16 years, from 1991-2007.