User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry This is ridiculous!!!

Howard Stern gets booted in 6 cities

Thu Feb 26, 7:41 AM ET Add Local - New York Daily News to My Yahoo!

By RICHARD HUFF and DAVE GOLDINER, DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Shock jock Howard Stern's show was yanked from several radio stations yesterday after a caller made racially charged comments - marking the latest skirmish over America's R-rated airwaves.

The nation's top-rated morning show was suspended from six big stations owned by Clear Channel Communications after a caller to the show used the Nword and asked Paris Hilton's ex-boyfriend if he ever had sex with black celebrities.

But Stern's syndicated show will apparently still be heard in New York as usual on WXRK-FM, where it draws nearly 1 million listeners, and on about 60 other stations nationwide.

"It was vulgar, offensive and insulting, not just to women and African-Americans but to anyone with a sense of common decency," Clear Channel chief John Hogan said.

"We will not air Howard Stern until we are assured that his show will conform to acceptable standards of responsible broadcasting," he added.

The latest Stern-storm blew up over his on-air interview with Rick Salomon, the man who was filmed having sex with Hilton.

Stern asked Salomon some extremely personal questions before the caller made the slur.

Neither Stern nor the producers of his New York-based show could be reached for comment.

The scandal erupted as the nation's media titans scramble to clean up their act following the Janet Jackson breast-flashing fiasco during last month's Super Bowl halftime show.

Hogan is scheduled to defend radio's less-than-sensitive record at a congressional hearing today on a proposed law totighten decency standards and jack up fines.

Critics accused Clear Channel of lashing out at Stern to burnish its image ahead of the hearing.

The giant has about 1,200 stations in the United States, though only the six involved in yesterday's announcement carried the Stern show. Those stations are heard in Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Rochester, San Diego, Pittsburgh and Louisville, Ky.

Stern, who revels in raunchy banter with callers and guests, has been in hot water with federal regulators before, but has mostly toed the line in recent years.

Infinity Broadcasting, the company that syndicates the show, paid $1.7 million to settle complaints over his antics in the 1990s.

Infinity is owned by Viacom, the media giant that owns CBS, which aired Jackson's Super Bowl flash dance.

Viacom boss Mel Karmazin said the network was stunned by Jackson's stunt and vowed to crack down on raunch on the air.

Stern, the self-proclaimed King of All Media, also has a show on the E! cable network. With News Wire Services

Sorry, but Howard hasn't been saying any **** that he and Robin haven't been saying since they first teamed up. This is pathetic. And the head of Clear Channel said he's "ashamed" of their programming. Pfft.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's another:

Shock Jock Howard Stern Vents on Air
Thu Feb 26,10:17 AM ET

NEW YORK - A day after the nation's largest radio station chain suspended shock jock Howard Stern's show for alleged indecency, Stern vented on the air Thursday with uncharacteristic restraint.

"They are so afraid of me and what this show represents," he said.

Clear Channel Radio suspended Stern from six stations — the only outlets among its 1,200 stations that air the show — after an on-air interview Tuesday with socialite Paris Hilton's ex-boyfriend Rick Salomon during which a caller used a racial slur. Salomon is the man involved in the hotel heiress' infamous homemade sex video.

Stern's show is still being carried on stations owned by a rival radio network, Infinity Broadcasting, that distributes it to major markets nationwide. In 1995, Infinity paid the largest cumulative FCC (news - web sites) fine to date, $1.7 million, for various violations by Stern's radio show.

The six Clear Channel stations involved are in Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, Fla., Rochester, N.Y., San Diego, Pittsburgh and Louisville, Ky.

"Clear Channel drew a line in the sand today with regard to protecting our listeners from indecent content, and Howard Stern's show blew right through it," Clear Channel's president and CEO, John Hogan, said in a news release Wednesday. "It was vulgar, offensive and insulting, not just to women and African-Americans but to anyone with a sense of common decency."

Stern said Thursday morning near the beginning of his show that he wasn't even sure he should talk about it.

"I could blow my stack, but ... ," Stern said, trailing off. "A caller used the N word, and I hung up on him."

Hogan was scheduled to testify along with top officials from television networks at the second congressional hearing this month on broadcast indecency in the wake of the exposure of Janet Jackson (news)'s breast during the Super Bowl halftime show Feb. 1.

"Janet Jackson is now forgotten and I'm on the front page of every newspaper," said Stern. "I can't imagine the pressure they're putting on this guy."

Clear Channel said Stern's show would not air until officials are assured it will conform to acceptable broadcasting standards.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is just such an example of "turn it off if you do not like it." At least it was not the gov. doing it though!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Clear Channel is well-known for their right-wing, conservative views. I'm more surprised that any Clear Channel station carried Howard Stern to begin with. You know, everyday it seems to me that we lose a little bit more of our freedoms under our current unelected President.

I may not always agree with what Stern says, however, I absolutely support his right to say it. Who's next--watch out under Shrub & co.--you might be next!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
This is just such an example of "turn it off if you do not like it." At least it was not the gov. doing it though!

EXACTLY!! People never cease to amaze me...."I don't like this...." or...."That is offensive..." etc...so since "I" don't agree/like it no one else can hear/see it!! Give me a break....I agree...you don't like it then don't listen to it!!!!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You don't listen to Howard Stern and expect to not hear something that may be offensive...the show is what I like to call and equal opportunity offender....it's no holds bar...why is this such a shock and such a big deal? He hung up on the caller. End of story. Lame.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not so much a Liberal or Conservative issue. I am Conservative but I love Stern's show. Even if I didn't, I would fight for his right to be on the air.

Much ado about nothing...

Just change the channel!

Rob

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 02-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: This is ridiculous!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Howard Stern gets booted in 6 cities ___________________________________________________

Sorry, but Howard hasn't been saying any **** that he and Robin haven't been saying since they first teamed up. This is pathetic. And the head of Clear Channel said he's "ashamed" of their programming. Pfft.
Howard is definitely not my cup of tea but I certainly support his right to free speech.
It's very telling to me that Howard has reportedly been dissing the Bush administration for the last month or so after being a long time supporter and suddenly he's in the sights of the decency patrol of Clear Channel.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DeeGeMe
Clear Channel is well-known for their right-wing, conservative views. I'm more surprised that any Clear Channel station carried Howard Stern to begin with. You know, everyday it seems to me that we lose a little bit more of our freedoms under our current unelected President.

I may not always agree with what Stern says, however, I absolutely support his right to say it. Who's next--watch out under Shrub & co.--you might be next!

Old 02-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Trust me, if it has the right rating, any station will find a way to air it. Moreover, Howard will be back soon if he wants too as this is only "temporary."

Old 02-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Trust me, if it has the right rating, any station will find a way to air it. Moreover, Howard will be back soon if he wants too as this is only "temporary."
Totally temporary. That show makes huge money.

Pulling this show is silly. Lowest common denominator stunt.

"Punish the potty mouth !"

Oh yeah, he's destroying the country. He's the reason people don't have jobs, home prices are through the roof, and gas prices are nuts, and blah, blah, blah.

This is a case of spraying deodorant to treat cancer.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love how every time some of you see something you don't like you blame it on the President.

Blame this one on ClearChannel.

ClearChannel has audience and programming for almost every view. You know they won't keep Stern off permanently.. he makes them so much money. They do crap like this for shockvalue and getting people to talk about the company & their stations again.

Looks like it worked.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
I love how every time some of you see something you don't like you blame it on the President.
Answering for myself, W's administration is, and perhaps always was, clearly governed by fundamentalist Christians who want their interpretation of "The Bible" to be the law and everyone who does not believe like "they" do to be a second class citizen or, perhaps, in a concentration camp undergoing "therapy" to be like them (the latter was a joke ). Their way is the only way. So, I think that mindset is spilling into the FCC. I mean for the last ten years Stern has not been offensive - so why now in an election year

My $0.02

Old 02-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah

Blame this one on ClearChannel.

ClearChannel has audience and programming for almost every view. You know they won't keep Stern off permanently.. he makes them so much money. They do crap like this for shockvalue and getting people to talk about the company & their stations again.

Looks like it worked.
Clear Channel is one of the largest contributors to President Bush's reelection campaign.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 02-27-2004 at 01:06 PM..
Old 02-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Clear Channel's political donations

http://www.premradonline.com/pdollars.htm

http://media.guardian.co.uk/rupertmu...930074,00.html

http://www.opensecrets.org/industrie....asp?Ind=C2100