User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac's Tusk
by Rob Trucks

Tusk, the first record in history to cross the million dollar threshold in production costs, was the Fleetwood Ma's critically acclaimed, commercially disappointing 1979 double album. This book is an in-depth and "official" look at one of the most unusual albums ever released by a major rock band.

Imprint: Continuum
Series: 33 1/3
Pub. date: 11 Sep 2011
ISBN: 9780826429025
144 Pages, paperback

World rights
Translation Rights Available

$12.95

Add to my Catalogue
Add to my basket .Description

After Rumours became the best-selling single album of all-time, Fleetwood Mac asked Warner Brothers Records to buy them a studio (the label refused, costing both Warner Brothers and the band significant cash in the long run) and then handed the reins to their guitarist and resident perfectionist Lindsey Buckingham, a fusion of factors that led Tusk to become the first record in history to cross the million dollar threshold in production costs.

Blame (or credit) Buckingham’s public perception as a punctilious performer and producer on this, the Mac’s critically acclaimed, commercially disappointing 1979 double album (it’s said that Warner Brothers executives could see their Christmas bonuses flying out the window upon finally hearing Tusk’s first rough cuts). But the 1975 addition of Buckingham and Stevie Nicks undeniably transformed Fleetwood Mac from a barely viable blues-based group into a radio powerhouse. Rumours, the second LP by the Mac reconfiguration of Buckingham, one-time paramour Nicks, drummer Mick Fleetwood, bassist John McVie and his wife and keyboardist Christine, sold more than 20 million copies. But during its creation, relationships within the band broke down — Buckingham split from Nicks, McVie from McVie — leaving the follow-up Tusk as a bizarre and fractious assemblage held together only by Buckingham’s much-documented, Brian Wilson–like obsession.

What remains is Fleetwood Mac’s Apocalypse Now, their White Album, the epic beginning of their ongoing end, a shotgun blast of musical spray. And, without question, the ballsiest venture in rock history.

“You know,” Buckingham told me when we met last October, “we had this ridiculous success with Rumours. And at some point, at least in my perception, the success of that detached from the music, and it was more about the phenomenon.

“We were poised to do another album, and I guess because the axiom ‘If it works, run it into the ground’ was prevalent then, we were probably poised to do Rumours II. I don’t know how you do that, but somehow my light bulb that went off was, ‘Let’s just not do that. Let’s very pointedly not do that.’ ”

This, then, was Buckingham’s crossroads: to follow his heart (a.k.a. the sounds in his head) or his wallet, knowing that he would bring rock’s most commercially viable act along with him. His decision to take the road less traveled, a path he still walks, is the most telling moment in his long career.

“Tusk,” he says, “is the most important thing, on some level, that I ever was involved with — for the music, but also because it was a line I drew in the sand.”

Author(s)
Rob Trucks,

Rob Trucks is a freelance music and sports writer based in NYC. He has published four books on baseball, and one collection of interviews with American fiction writers.

http://www.continuumbooks.com/books/...ubject2Id=1396
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Ledgie

Default MacNuggets

I found this kind of interesting, particularly because of the song that was actually highlighted, not exactly one of the "greatest hits" tracks!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/04/b...-torch-review/

Go down to Media player / WiFi syncing

Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

HA! Wow, one of the last FM tracks I'd ever expect to see outside of the 'harcore' fandom!

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While recording their 1977 masterpiece Rumours, Mick Fleetwood and his Fleetwood Mac bandmates snorted so much cocaine that they demanded that their dealer be given credit on the album. Producers understandably demurred. Sadly, the dealer was the victim of a ganglands execution before the album was released.

http://www.decadentlifestyle.net/201...d-macs-dealer/
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
While recording their 1977 masterpiece Rumours, Mick Fleetwood and his Fleetwood Mac bandmates snorted so much cocaine that they demanded that their dealer be given credit on the album. Producers understandably demurred. Sadly, the dealer was the victim of a ganglands execution before the album was released.

http://www.decadentlifestyle.net/201...d-macs-dealer/
viv, who is this flawless man in your pics!?!?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
viv, who is this flawless man in your pics!?!?
His name is Beto and he resides in Phoenix, Arizona. Yummy.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Then there were four

Don't Stop
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^I thought that was referring to something else and totally had an anxiety attack. smh

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.