User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Thumbs up Isn't It Midnight (no guitar)

This song is so dominated by Lindsey's guitar that its hard to imagine or even isolate other features in the song. The song is all Lindsey's but is it really? This song is all bass too. Of course Chris's singing and lyrics are amazing too. I have always said this should have been the first single from Tango. The world was dying to get a new Mac song in half a decade. This song would have been played to hell and made the top 10 easily.

Go John Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4S7...&start_radio=1
Old 04-02-2024, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I have always said this should have been the first single from Tango.
I actually like IIM far more than Big Love or Little Lies. But I see it didn't achieve as good chart positions as those songs, world wide. I don't even remember hear it on the radios that year.

By the way, does anybody know the story behind the single cover?

Old 04-02-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I actually like IIM far more than Big Love or Little Lies. But I see it didn't achieve as good chart positions as those songs, world wide. I don't even remember hear it on the radios that year.

By the way, does anybody know the story behind the single cover?

I heard it only a few times. As the lead single, it might have more of a splash with a cool video.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have always thought IIM would have fitted perfectly on an 80’s action move soundtrack. It would have been great on Top Gun or a Beverley Hills Cop film. It could have been released as an earlier single but I get why it wasn’t. If it had it would have likely done well on the charts.
Regarding the cover art…..I thought maybe it was another painting hanging in Lindsey’s house, but it seems the original is in the Louvre. Anyway, by the time of its release Lindsey was long gone.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-02-2024, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Regarding the cover art…..I thought maybe it was another painting hanging in Lindsey’s house, but it seems the original is in the Louvre. Anyway, by the time of its release Lindsey was long gone.
Yes, it's Mademoiselle Caroline Rivière by Dominique Ingres, and it's in the Louvre. No idea who and why chose it for the single cover. Sometimes they are particularly mysterious or strange to choose the covers. I found this Seven Wonders single vinyl cover. It makes more sense, since it's from the album photo sessions.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There are obvious parallels between Tango In The Night and the BuckVie album. Too Far Gone reminds me of Isnt it Midnight. Its obviously a Christine song. In 86/87 she got Lindsey to beef it up with his guitar playing. Similarly, for TFG she asked Lindsey if she could use his riff for her song. In both cases they are the 'hard rocking' songs from their respective records. Though IIM is the far better song overall. The lyrics for TFG are a bit too flimsy and throw-away.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-02-2024, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I heard it only a few times. As the lead single, it might have more of a splash with a cool video.
Exactamundo
The pop radio singles were waiting in the wings. As the lead single would have blown everyone out of the water. THIS is Fleetwood Mac! I think in early 1988 it peaked at #50 in Scottland.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
There are obvious parallels between Tango In The Night and the BuckVie album. Too Far Gone reminds me of Isnt it Midnight. Its obviously a Christine song. In 86/87 she got Lindsey to beef it up with his guitar playing. Similarly, for TFG she asked Lindsey if she could use his riff for her song. In both cases they are the 'hard rocking' songs from their respective records. Though IIM is the far better song overall. The lyrics for TFG are a bit too flimsy and throw-away.
One In A Million is my favorite rocking Christine song.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does the bass line not sound like something Lindsey would have wrote? Lindsey had an overly creative hand in the making of this album. Not taking anything away from John but the whole song minus the lyrics seems to be a Lindsey creation. Anyone get that vibe?
Old 04-02-2024, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Does the bass line not sound like something Lindsey would have wrote? Lindsey had an overly creative hand in the making of this album. Not taking anything away from John but the whole song minus the lyrics seems to be a Lindsey creation. Anyone get that vibe?

I do get that vibe . This is very much a Lindsey influenced tune. I do think it’s John on bass. This is the only track that I have heard so far as “acoustic “ that I’m not really digging it.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I do get that vibe . This is very much a Lindsey influenced tune. I do think it’s John on bass. This is the only track that I have heard so far as “acoustic “ that I’m not really digging it.
I do enjoy hearing the bass line so distinctly, though.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love the song and its the best song on Tango IMHO. I think Chris loved it too since she put it in the set on several tours. Oddly enough never played with Lindsey. The only thing I would change about the song is right before "looking back so long ago" Chris should have shouted "SECOND VERSE!"
Old 04-03-2024, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oddly enough never played with Lindsey.
The BuckVie tour was the opportunity. So sad they didn't include it. I would have replaced I'm So Afraid with the Tango in the Night song, at least on some dates.

Lindsey included Shut Us Down and Trouble. Christine should have included some solo songs, too.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
The BuckVie tour was the opportunity. So sad they didn't include it. I would have replaced I'm So Afraid with the Tango in the Night song, at least on some dates.

Lindsey included Shut Us Down and Trouble. Christine should have included some solo songs, too.
I know. I am sure Lindsey told Chris to do some solo work. I would have loved to have heard some solo work. But Chris always puts her solo work last. It was the perfect opportunity.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I love the song and its the best song on Tango IMHO. I think Chris loved it too since she put it in the set on several tours. Oddly enough never played with Lindsey. The only thing I would change about the song is right before "looking back so long ago" Chris should have shouted "SECOND VERSE!"
That still haunts me. I'll never un hear that demo.