The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default How much is Waddy playing on Buckingham Nicks?

Not sure where to put this so am plopping it here since it's about both Lindsey and Stevie...

Waddy did a long interview about his career and part of the convo was about S&L and how he came to know them and work with them. He talks about being brought in to work on the BN album by Keith Olsen who told him "the guitar player (LB) doesn't know how to play with other guitarists and you need to work with him". He says he added slide guitar to Lola and other things that Lindsey just didn't think of.

He also mentions there was a single version of Crying in the Night that also had slide guitar added by him, and that this version was quite different from the version on the album. Has anyone ever heard about this version of Crying in the Night, or even actually heard it? It was news to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7gbVVYIS94
Old 04-08-2024, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's the electric guitar single mix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg7iOXAJVtU
Old 04-08-2024, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I saw this earlier and thought someone probably already posted it.
Fleetwood Mac must of been a dream job for Lindsey since Keith said Lindsey had problems playing with other guitarists.
But Waddy and Stevie knowing each other since 1970 is amazing. I am glad he sort of forced her to do Crying In The Night on the 24K Gold Tour.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks for posting this! Now that I've heard it I do think I heard it once a loooong time ago! I do like the beefed up backing vocals on this version at least.

It's interesting, back around the time of the 50th anniversary of the BN album when the press were asking each of them about the possibility of re-releasing it on CD and all... a reporter who had interviewed Stevie and then Lindsey told Lindsey that Stevie had talked about them maybe doing a short BN tour and including Waddy on it.... and Lindsey's response was a rather measured "Oh...hmmm.... Waddy Wachetel?? Hmm....well...." and he sort of left it hanging. It made me wonder what the relationship is between LB and Waddy all these years, and whether LB has particular feelings about her turning to Waddy for all sorts of creative support in her solo career much like she did with LB... There was definitely something in Lindsey's tone when he talked about Waddy...

It's such a shame they f***ed up doing a re release of that album when there was a surge of interest. Keith was still alive then and there would have been a certain sense of I dunno... completeness or something... if the three of them who had done the original (SN, LB, KO) had been involved in the re-release.

Another in the long list of FM-related missed opportunities.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
thanks for posting this! Now that I've heard it I do think I heard it once a loooong time ago! I do like the beefed up backing vocals on this version at least.

It's interesting, back around the time of the 50th anniversary of the BN album when the press were asking each of them about the possibility of re-releasing it on CD and all... a reporter who had interviewed Stevie and then Lindsey told Lindsey that Stevie had talked about them maybe doing a short BN tour and including Waddy on it.... and Lindsey's response was a rather measured "Oh...hmmm.... Waddy Wachetel?? Hmm....well...." and he sort of left it hanging. It made me wonder what the relationship is between LB and Waddy all these years, and whether LB has particular feelings about her turning to Waddy for all sorts of creative support in her solo career much like she did with LB... There was definitely something in Lindsey's tone when he talked about Waddy...

It's such a shame they f***ed up doing a re release of that album when there was a surge of interest. Keith was still alive then and there would have been a certain sense of I dunno... completeness or something... if the three of them who had done the original (SN, LB, KO) had been involved in the re-release.

Another in the long list of FM-related missed opportunities.
Oh the whole thing just makes me cringe, probably for the same reason it may have made Lindsey cringe. Stevie waltzs in with Waddy as her musical director of 40 years as part of album that he didn’t necessarily have an immense involvement on beyond some slide parts and some electric overdubs. He knew how that was going to go.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Oh the whole thing just makes me cringe, probably for the same reason it may have made Lindsey cringe. Stevie waltzs in with Waddy as her musical director of 40 years as part of album that he didn’t necessarily have an immense involvement on beyond some slide parts and some electric overdubs. He knew how that was going to go.
This was the interview:
It's the 40th anniversary, so it's time to finally put it out on CD and maybe do a tour with the old band, possibly including Waddy Wachtel and the other guys.
Lindsey: Oh, the old band with Waddy Watchtel. Wow. Well, listen, I would love to do a tour with Stevie. I think that would be very appropriate. She was talking about doing it in between legs of a Fleetwood Mac tour, which is not going to happen. It's logistically impossible. It's economically suicidal because you can't do enough touring it make it worthwhile.
Putting out Buckingham Nicks, I'm totally down with that. To do what she's talking about, we need some bonus tracks. We need to do one from each of us. I'm totally down with that. I'm not necessarily opposed to doing that in a Fleetwood Mac set, although it hits me a little bit like we're going off message. But did she mention any other new material to you? I bet she didn't.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Since we are talking about Waddy, here is his top 5 favorite songs he plays on. Edge of 17 is #1. Really cool story. He purposely does not mention the effect he was trying to duplicate was a rip off of the Police. But great story nonetheless. This guy should write a book. He talks about how his hand would hurt from Stevie's long intros and 14 minute Edgeof17 live version. While Stevie was doing lines backstage, Waddy's hand was falling off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hek9fB_8_I

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-09-2024 at 04:20 PM..
Old 04-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
This was the interview:
It's the 40th anniversary, so it's time to finally put it out on CD and maybe do a tour with the old band, possibly including Waddy Wachtel and the other guys.
Lindsey: Oh, the old band with Waddy Watchtel. Wow. Well, listen, I would love to do a tour with Stevie. I think that would be very appropriate. She was talking about doing it in between legs of a Fleetwood Mac tour, which is not going to happen. It's logistically impossible. It's economically suicidal because you can't do enough touring it make it worthwhile.
Putting out Buckingham Nicks, I'm totally down with that. To do what she's talking about, we need some bonus tracks. We need to do one from each of us. I'm totally down with that. I'm not necessarily opposed to doing that in a Fleetwood Mac set, although it hits me a little bit like we're going off message. But did she mention any other new material to you? I bet she didn't.
Yes that's the one! The full interview: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...od-mac-233617/

I mixed up the 40th not 50th anniversary.

The first part of it is where they talk to Stevie. She says:

Do you envision Buckingham Nicks coming out as a deluxe edition box set?
It is the 40th anniversary, because it was released in 1973. We have this new version of an old demo. So, we should put the album back out, and if we can make that happen then Buckingham-Nicks should go out on the road next year. It would be great to do it in the 40th anniversary year. This might not just be the year of Fleetwood Mac, but we might throw in the Buckingham Nicks album for a special, sparkly, extra present.

So you might actually reform the original band and take them out on the road?
There’s always a possibility. That is a situation where we would actually go onstage and do the complete Buckingham Nicks album. It would be a trip to bring it back with Waddy Watchtel and some other people from San Francisco. It would be trippy for Lindsey and I to revisit those songs.

The Lindsey bit is the part you already quoted.

This is also the interview where Lindsey said to the interviewer,
'Now that you've talked to the two of us, are you starting to feel like a shrink?' asks Buckingham