Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-13-2024, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango was announced

Lindsey just posted in his networks 37 years ago Tango In The Night was announced. He asks his fans to comment on their favorite song. Though expected, it's interesting to read different opinions, including Caroline from two fans (it's the only song I don't like from that album), though I didn't reach the end of the answers list in Twitter.

https://twitter.com/LBuckingham/stat...24557305389169
Old 04-13-2024, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

You beat me to the punch! 37 years. I remember getting an announcement on the radio that the first song from Fleetwood Mac in 5 years was coming up. I could not contain myself. When the album came out, I drove to the mall and bought the cassette.
It was an exciting time for sure!
I remember the Mac Attack on MTV too.

I was so excited and I loved the album. However its not one of my favorite albums. Its too synth pop and programmed stuff for my liking. As usual Chris brought the best songs. Although Lindsey's title track is a favorite of mine. It was not a group effort and I feel bad for what Lindsey had to go through. Stevie was barely there. She was drunk when she was there and her vocals were so bad Lindsey would delete them after she left....thus that "oooh my love" disaster.

When Nicks did go to the studio, she often felt unmotivated: "I can remember going up there and not being happy to even be there... I didn't go very often". Vocal sessions took place in Buckingham's master bedroom, where Nicks frequently recorded her parts for Buckingham and McVie's songs under the influence of alcohol; Buckingham deleted most of Nicks' vocals after she left the studio. "I'm not blaming him for that because I'm sure they totally sucked. Vocals done when you're crazy and drinking a cup of brandy probably aren't usually going to be great".

Buckingham recorded some of the vocals using a Fairlight, an early sampling synthesizer. On "When I See You Again", he re-assembled separately recorded takes of Nicks, explaining, "I had to pull performances out of words and lines and make parts that sounded like her that weren't her". "That was in my estimation when everybody in the band was personally at their worst. By the time we did Tango in the Night, everybody was leading their lives in a way that they would not be too proud of today

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-13-2024 at 06:25 PM..
Old 04-14-2024, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
When Nicks did go to the studio, she often felt unmotivated: "I can remember going up there and not being happy to even be there... I didn't go very often". Vocal sessions took place in Buckingham's master bedroom, where Nicks frequently recorded her parts for Buckingham and McVie's songs under the influence of alcohol; Buckingham deleted most of Nicks' vocals after she left the studio. "I'm not blaming him for that because I'm sure they totally sucked. Vocals done when you're crazy and drinking a cup of brandy probably aren't usually going to be great".
According to Mick's book it wa... Well I think I already posted about it few months ago. Besides I don't want to cause Homer a stroke.

But seriously, where did you read or watch that? Interesting what she said.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
According to Mick's book it wa... Well I think I already posted about it few months ago. Besides I don't want to cause Homer a stroke.

I bought a case of KY, and I've got my rubber gloves on. Just keep it up!
Old 04-14-2024, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I posted that Family Man was my favorite song. I still love it. Did not like anything that Stevie brought to the table. At her lowest point I think. I can really understand Lindsey not wanting to tour. With Mick and Stevie they way they were, I can't imagine what a tour would have been like. I think he really though they might die on the road.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 04-14-2024, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never understood the deep love that "Tango in the Night" gets from critics and Fleetwood Mac fans. The album's sound has definitely not aged well - it's extremely synth heavy and overproduced, like most late 80's music.

The production on Fleetwood Mac's first three albums with the Buckingham Nicks lineup is timeless - the music holds up well and it's not dated. Even "Mirage" is a far superior album to "Tango in the Night".

"Tango in the Night" definitely has some fine moments, but it's far from one of the greatest Fleetwood Mac albums.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post

I love when you quote the book, so please keep doing it. I love reading MICK"S "pov" haha.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I posted that Family Man was my favorite song. I still love it. Did not like anything that Stevie brought to the table. At her lowest point I think. I can really understand Lindsey not wanting to tour. With Mick and Stevie they way they were, I can't imagine what a tour would have been like. I think he really though they might die on the road.
Family Man. Oh
I like that everyone thinks differently.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-14-2024, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I've never understood the deep love that "Tango in the Night" gets from critics and Fleetwood Mac fans. The album's sound has definitely not aged well - it's extremely synth heavy and overproduced, like most late 80's music.

The production on Fleetwood Mac's first three albums with the Buckingham Nicks lineup is timeless - the music holds up well and it's not dated. Even "Mirage" is a far superior album to "Tango in the Night".

"Tango in the Night" definitely has some fine moments, but it's far from one of the greatest Fleetwood Mac albums.
I sort of agree. Its pretty much a Lindsey solo album and he was fascinated with all that slick stuff of the 1980s. But Lindsey really had some challenges. John needed remedial training. Stevie was drunk or in rehab. Mick was buying drugs in Lindsey's driveway. We get a nice preview of Buckingham/McVie because they really show up on this album. There was tremendous pressure on Lindsey to make it a commercially successful album to get Mick out of bankruptcy. Looking back I am glad they did it but like you I am in the minority on this board that ranks Tango below Mirage and (wait for it.....) Behind The Mask. One reason I like BTM is we hear that Mac rhythm section play and hum again. Dear Lord we hear Chris play keyboards again too. No drum machines or programmed bass. Its bluesy Mac pop rock. I will take that over the synth 80s pop any day. Having said all this, some of my all time favorite Mac tunes are on Tango: Tango In The Night, Isn't It Midnight, and Little Lies.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-14-2024 at 04:53 PM..
Old 04-14-2024, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

This^^^.
I almost like BTM and Time as well as Tango. Because IT'S PLASTIC. White thru Mirage sounds like a BAND. Tango is crap.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
This^^^.
I almost like BTM and Time as well as Tango. Because IT'S PLASTIC. White thru Mirage sounds like a BAND. Tango is crap.
It’s calculated for sure. I don’t think most of it is crap. The two Stevie songs are turds. The rest is pretty well done—but most of it isn’t well done as a group…

In terms of the fairlight (sp?) and synth sounds, I always thought it odd, even dated THEN. Had it come out in 1984, it’d have been right on target. But by ‘87 it seemed like they were a bit behind the times.

Only Big Love sounds new in the sense it wasn’t following a trend as much as carving out a new space for a different kind of song.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 04-14-2024 at 08:04 PM..
Old 04-14-2024, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Because there is more to songs than just their "sound". Tango had great hit songs, more than Mirage and Tusk. Ergo more people like the album and buy it. And it's hard to call a song like Everywhere or Seven Wonders or Little Lies dated when they keep appearing ad nauseum in ads etc. Seems like they're evergreen and always sound fresh and could have been produced yesterday, like some ABBA hits like Gimme Gimme.

Plus I also really like the sound/vibe and art design of the album and enjoy its cohesive vision of a dark, night-time album, and I assume there must be many other fans and critics who liked this aspect of the album in addition to the individual songs.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Because there is more to songs than just their "sound". Tango had great hit songs, more than Mirage and Tusk. Ergo more people like the album and buy it.
I don't measure great music by "hits" or by more people buying it. Top 40 radio plays an endless amount of "hits" that are nothing more than saturated crap.

That said, Tango has some good moments, but it's nowhere near as groundbreaking as the classic and sublime Tusk. No contest. Not even close.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I completely disagree, Tango has held up when in the context of current music trends. The album is incredibly influential to the current crop of synth-pop bands. Why do you think Linds is obsessed with bands like Phoenix and Empire of The Sun. I understand your point, and can easily see how the album can be viewed as dated. However, I feel the album sounds fresh and sparkles on vinyl and through headphones.

I love revisiting this article as it's a perfect document of how meticulous the process was. Tango wasn't a bunch of buttons Lindsey pushed to create a fake sound.

https://www.salon.com/2017/04/02/he-...-in-the-night/

Last edited by justcrazylove; 04-15-2024 at 03:29 AM..
Old 04-15-2024, 04:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tango is the band's second best selling album, no? I always believed that for all of its 4 charting pop singles, the album greatly undersold in the United States. I know Tango was a sensation in Europe. Tango only reached #7 for a meager 3 weeks and then dropped from the top 10. It officially sold 3 million copies in the States by the year 2000. In the late 80s, albums were still selling like hot cakes. It was nothing for albums in the top 5 sell millions more copies. I am NOT saying the album was not successful (please don't go there). Mirage went to #1 which is something Tusk never did. At least the band beat Bella Donna's one week stand at #1, sort of bragging rights. The band pretty much walked away from Mirage and touring and the album fell off the charts. Warner milked Tango for all it was worth and the band toured the world and a major tour in the states. Yet the album barely went over double platinum (in the states). Scary to think it just sold double of the atrocious Rock A Little. The album sales in Europe sort of distort the picture I am explaining. The album had officially 6 singles released which is far more than any of their albums including Rumours. One thing that hurt both Tusk and Tango was the band was shunned again by rock stations. They played the hell out of Rumours and never really played Tusk or Tango. Rumours had the best of both worlds. It was played up and down the dial on rock and pop stations. In the late 80s rock stations still existed. They did touch Tango but soon as the songs became too pop charting dropped them from airplay. You would have thought the half decade wait for a new Fleetwood Mac album along with major MTV videos and charting singles would have easily pushed the album into the top 5 and stay in the top 10 for months making the album sell 5 million by 1988 (in the states).
The album was supposed to have 2 different producers that fell through. I wonder what the final product would have sounded like with Nile Rogers or Jason Corsaro. Nothing against Lindsey since he is an ace producer but I wonder having another producer would have given the album a more group sound instead of a Lindsey solo album.
This album truly was a preview of Buckingham/McVie because Chris said for the sessions it had been more collaborative than previous efforts. They really worked well together. Chris said that she was the only one that enjoyed making Tango and enjoyed the process.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-15-2024 at 06:24 AM..