Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Run Forest - Run!!!!!!!!!
Life is like a box of chocolates.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
This is exactly how the scenario will play out. People can say that STEVIE DOESN'T WANT TO RECORD WITH FLEETWOOD MAC ALL THEY WANT, and that may be the case. However, those the subscribe to the point of view obviously don't know the EGO of the High Priestess. EVEN IF Stevie truly doesn't want to record with Mac, her EGO and INNATE NEED TO BE ON THE STAGE would NEVER let her sit out an entire album and tour. Especially since she only has to phone in 3 songs and show up at the studio for about 4 weeks. WHAT STEVIE DOES NOT WANT IS TO SPEND 9-12 MONTHS HOLED UP IN A STUDIO WITH LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM. It has nothing to do with Chris, John and Mick. This is about the fact the Stevie cannot stand working with Lindsey in the studio as a record producer. She's fine walking onstage with him every night on tour, where the contact is limited to acting for a crowd. Moreover, Stevie can talk all she wants about not recording with Mac, BUT when push comes to shove, she'll send them 3 songs and show up for 4 weeks at the end of the sessions. Case closed.
And I agree with this, so it looks like we are doing a whole lot of agreeing. She made it sound in that last interview that being in the studio was torture. And for sure she meant with Lindsey. I'm not a big fan of Tango in the Night and to me it sounds like the least integrated of all the FM CDs. I hope the CD does come out and that it's fantastic and that the resulting music sounds as integrated as possible.

Kevin
Old 09-25-2016, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Actually, SHE RECORDED HER SOLO ALBUM BECAUSE, UNDER HER CONTACT WITH REPRISE RECORDS, SHE STILL OWED THE LABEL ONE MORE ALBUM. Record companies will give DUE DATES for albums to be completed. Warner/Reprise knew they would be releasing Stevie from her contract with the label right after she delivered the final album owed to them--24 Karat Gold. To be clear, recording her solo album had less to do with distracting Fleetwood Mac than it did fulfilling a contractual obligation to Warner/Reprise Records.
What do you know about the due dates in her contract? She said she did it because she had free time. Why would the record company give her a due date on a album when it could not be promoted? What would be their incentive to put out a certain failure? Her previous album came out 10 years after the one before it. And that one 7 years after the before it. There didn't seem to be due dates on those but she had a tight window n which she had to release a new album and only 3 years after he previous album? You realize none of that makes sense, right?

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 09-25-2016 at 08:09 AM..
Old 09-25-2016, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
What do you know about the due dates in her contract? She said she did it because she had free time. Why would the record company give her a due date on a album when it could not be promoted? What would be their incentive to put out a certain failure? Her previous album came out 10 years after the one before it. And that one 7 years after the before it. There didn't seem to be due dates on those but she had a tight window n which she had to release a new album and only 3 years after he previous album?
She was under contract BEFORE Cm returned...She had a choice of quick album or no FM tour...
Old 09-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There didn't seem to be due dates on those but she had a tight window n which she had to release a new album and only 3 years after he previous album? You realize none of that makes sense, right?
exactly! not sure whether people here don't realize it or just try to muddy the waters. or both.

10 years to do her last WB album but it just HAD to be done right when Mac reserved the dates in studio to work on new album with Chris, because deadline was then? Stevie must be a HUGE procrastinator!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What do you know about the due dates in her contract? She said she did it because she had free time. Why would the record company give her a due date on a album when it could not be promoted? What would be their incentive to put out a certain failure? Her previous album came out 10 years after the one before it. And that one 7 years after the before it. There didn't seem to be due dates on those but she had a tight window n which she had to release a new album and only 3 years after he previous album? You realize none of that makes sense, right?
Do some research on record labels and the music business. Record companies release records THAT THEY HAVE NO INTENTION OF PROMOTING quite often when the artist is ON THE LAST ALBUM of their contract. It happens ALL THE TIME. In addition, they will often rush the last release just to complete the artist's contract so that both parties can move forward and onto other business ventures. Warner/Reprise had no intention of making money off "24 Karat Gold". Record labels know this, artists know this, it's just how the music business works. Stevie did NOT rush to Nashville to record with session musicians that are known to work FAST and EFFICIENT and quickly record albums like an assembly line because she had "free time". If she truly had "free time", 24 Karat Gold would have been recorded at the leisurely and enjoyable pace that "In Your Dreams" was. She can say whatever she wants. In addition, she told Dave Stewart that the album needed to be recorded quickly and HE suggested Nashville session players because they can record SO QUICKLY. You can check that. A record label can put forth a due date anytime it wants to. Recording contracts ARE ALWAYS written in the favor of the labels. Thus, it makes perfect sense.

Last edited by WatchChain; 09-25-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Old 09-25-2016, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
She was under contract BEFORE Cm returned...She had a choice of quick album or no FM tour...
She was under contract for decades. As mentioned before she took 10 years to release her previous album. Why was this one so urgent? And she had already agreed to the FM tour. Around January 2014 (the album was recorded in April, I believe, and the band convened in March to work on new material) she claimed to not have anything on the schedule for the next few months.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do some research on record labels and the music business. Record companies release records THAT THEY HAVE NO INTENTION OF PROMOTING quite often when the artist is ON THE LAST ALBUM of their contract. It happens ALL THE TIME. In addition, they will often rush the last release just to complete the artist's contract so that both parties can move forward and onto other business ventures. Warner/Reprise had no intention of making money off "24 Karat Gold". Record labels know this, artists know this, it's just how the music business works. Stevie did NOT rush to Nashville to record with session musicians that are known to work FAST and EFFICIENT and quickly record albums like an assembly line because she had "free time". If she truly had "free time", 24 Karat Gold would have been recorded at the leisurely and enjoyable pace that "In Your Dreams" was. She can say whatever she wants. In addition, she told Dave Stewart that the album needed to be recorded quickly and HE suggested Nashville session players because they can record SO QUICKLY. You can check that. A record label can put forth a due date anytime it wants to. Recording contracts ARE ALWAYS written in the favor of the labels. Thus, it makes perfect sense.
I don't recall Stevie ever saying she was forced to make this album. She has said it fulfilled her contract but she never said she was required to deliver an album by a certain time. Anything to that effect is speculation. As I mentioned in my post above she claimed at the time when Christine joined that she had a few months to kill and nothing planned so she wasn't thinking of contractual obligation only a few months before recording the album.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 09-25-2016 at 01:03 PM..
Old 09-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She was under contract for decades. As mentioned before she took 10 years to release her previous album. Why was this one so urgent? And she had already agreed to the FM tour. Around January 2014 (the album was recorded in April, I believe, and the band convened in March to work on new material) she claimed to not have anything on the schedule for the next few months.
Seems you are having trouble understanding the concept that Stevie owed WB another record sometime before the end of 2015...Stevie recorded 24K before the FM tour because after the tour started she would not have had time to make the record...Christine's return was un-expected and Stevie was not planning on back to back FM tours that's why she was in a hurry to get 24K done and clear her calendar for the FM tour...
Old 09-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To be frank, she'll be involved whether it's last minute contributions or not. I don't think her ego will be able to handle all the headlines that we all know will surely read "New Mac Album Released - Without Nicks" and then all the beginning paragraphs of said articles mentioning her refusal to contribute. There is a real growing hunger out there for a 5-piece final Mac album and a still ever-growing fanbase whom want it whether they buy it or torrent it. The desire for the project is still there and she will not want to look like the bad guy in the eyes of the media even though we all know here that they are grown adults, friends (even family) and support each other regardless of certain decisions.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I sincerely hope the forthcoming album does not feature Stevie...
I can't imagine her being comfortable with the last Fleetwood Mac album being Stevie-less. If/when it comes out she'll regret it. That would lead to the possibility of one final album. Essentially, if she appears on this one then that's pretty much it. If she isn't then there's a chance of yet another one.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I sincerely hope the forthcoming album does not feature Stevie...
I can't imagine her being comfortable with the last Fleetwood Mac album being Stevie-less. If/when it comes out she'll regret it. That would lead to the possibility of one final album. Essentially, if she appears on this one then that's pretty much it. If she isn't then there's a chance of yet another one.
i like the way you think!

also, it would not be fair to the other members of the band who i'm sure have plans for 2017 before starting that final looooong FM tour. they have lives and families. four different people would have to drop their own plans and go back in the studio all of the sudden to work on Stevie's songs if she decides at the last moment she'll join the band for that album after all. and they already rearranged their plans several times around Stevie in hope she'll join. now it looks they finally decided not to do that anymore.

and, if SN decides to join all of the sudden, album would not be cohesive, just like EP wasn't, if her stuff was cobbled on at the last minute.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As much of a die hard Stevie fan that I am, I often think that she just doesn't write songs like she used to. Perhaps her reluctance to record with Fleetwood Mac is because she doesn't have much to bring to the table.

All of Stevie's best tracks since TISL have been either old songs from the vault or co-writes. Writing poems is one thing, writing songs is another entirely and I get the impression that she can't really do it on her own anymore.

Her last album had NO NEW MATERIAL at all on it.

For someone who used to be a very prolific and powerful songwriter (love her or hate her for it), it must be difficult to come to terms with your skills not being what they used to be.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't recall Stevie ever saying she was forced to make this album. She has said it fulfilled her contract but she never said she was required to deliver an album by a certain time. Anything to that effect is speculation. As I mentioned in my post above she claimed at the time when Christine joined that she had a few months to kill and nothing planned so she wasn't thinking of contractual obligation only a few months before recording the album.
Yes, as BlueDenimLamp, another ledge poster stated--Stevie owed Warner/Reprise Records the final record of her contact by the end of 2015. Moreover, Stevie signed with Warner/Reprise for what appears to be a 5 album deal about 16 years ago when her contract with Modern/Atlantic ended. With the record label business as it is, management and A & R at Warner/Reprise has probably changed 5 or 6 times since then. She owed Reprise her final album, which she delivered. They had no intention of promoting it. "24 Karat Gold" simply fulfilled the contract so that both parties could move on. In fact, Reprise would have probably ended the final contracted album by releasing a GREATEST HITS/BEST OF record IF NOT FOR THE FACT that 2 records under her current contract were already "BEST OF" compilations ("Crystal Visions" and "Soundstage Sessions").

Thus, back to your original point......STEVIE WAS NOT CHOOSING TO SIMPLY MAKE A SOLO ALBUM AT THE SAME TIME THAT CHRISTINE & LINDSEY'S EARLY TRACKS WERE BEING RECORDED FOR A MAC ALBUM. It's simply not the case. As stated above, she was contractually obligated to Reprise when this new Mac thing came up. I've NEVER been one to sit on the "Defend Stevie" bandwagon (in fact, I'm quite frustrated with her reluctance to record with MAC in favor of a solo tour). However, let the facts be told. Therefore, I REALIZE that what I'm saying makes perfect sense.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
As much of a die hard Stevie fan that I am, I often think that she just doesn't write songs like she used to. Perhaps her reluctance to record with Fleetwood Mac is because she doesn't have much to bring to the table.

All of Stevie's best tracks since TISL have been either old songs from the vault or co-writes. Writing poems is one thing, writing songs is another entirely and I get the impression that she can't really do it on her own anymore.

Her last album had NO NEW MATERIAL at all on it.

For someone who used to be a very prolific and powerful songwriter (love her or hate her for it), it must be difficult to come to terms with your skills not being what they used to be.
I beg to differ... Stevie hasn't lost her songwriting talent, just her inspiration. Many of her songs were inspired by relationships she was in or exciting things she was doing, and her life has calmed down considerably.

Look at Soldier's Angel for instance... A really beautiful, haunting song, because she was deeply inspired to write it.

I'd like to see Stevie challenge herself a little so that she has inspiring experiences to write about.

But in all honesty, there are undoubtedly old songs she could still pull out if necessary. I don't think there is any danger of her recording bad songs with FM at this point.