Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Desert Angel

I was listening to Timespace yesterday which is now available on Spotify and iTunes UK and I came across Desert Angel which I hadn't heard for a few years and I couldn't believe how good it sounded!

For me, the production, drums, bass and even vocals all make it a very deep and excellent song which should've been promoted alongside SIAB instead of LAHGTP.

Does anyone else agree?
Old 08-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Everyone picks on this song, but I have always really enjoyed it. To me, it's very atmospheric. I also really like how the song progresses in a storytelling manner- it's just so visual. Stevie's songs are never a linear narrative like that. Add to the fact it's a political anti-war song, and that's another first & only for Stevie.

To me, Desert Angel is just a very interesting snapshot in time. Both of Stevie herself, and of what was going on in the world at that time. I remember when the Persian Gulf War broke out when I was a kid- watching it all unfold on TV every night. Listening to this song always takes me back into that moment in time. Wondering what all of this would bring- would the Cold War escalate? Then it all ended abruptly- the Gulf War, the USSR dissolved, and everything was suddenly very quiet. Nowadays, when I listen to this song it brings up even more thoughts- the mysterious Gulf War Syndrome which has never been solved; and of course the later Iraq War, which so many in my generation participated in.

Yes, this song is no Rhiannon or Gold Dust Woman. But it's a rare Stevie song that actually makes you think. And for that reason, it'll always garner appreciation for me... it's more than the sum of it's fairly humble parts.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Put me down for always liking Desert Angel. Its a story but I think Stevie tackles putting the lyrics to song pretty good. The marching drum beat really makes this song work. I just LOVE the way she yells DESERT SHIELD.....DESERT STORM. For the life of me I don't understand why Stevie did not do this song during her 1991 summer Whole Lotta Trouble Tour. The yellow ribbons will still up and the troops had just come home. Even though the album Timespace had not been released yet... not only did she not do any material from the album but not even Desert Angel. If there was EVER a time to do this song live... it was the summer of 1991 dedicated to the troops coming home.
Actually I like all 3 new songs on Timespace....Desert Angel, Love is a hard game to play, and Sometimes its a bitch. And she sung each one beautifully.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While recently listening to this song on vinyl, I wondered "why have I always trash talked this song?" It's actually quite good, and her vocals are stellar (particuarlrly for this period). I've been won over,
Old 08-14-2015, 11:16 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I was listening to Timespace yesterday which is now available on Spotify and iTunes UK and I came across Desert Angel which I hadn't heard for a few years and I couldn't believe how good it sounded!

For me, the production, drums, bass and even vocals all make it a very deep and excellent song which should've been promoted alongside SIAB instead of LAHGTP.

Does anyone else agree?
Yep, great song. I love the visuals, and especially the last minute of the song. The "ahhhss" after Operation Desert Shield/Storm...
Old 08-15-2015, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this song.Also Soldiers Angel .I'm so happy that she spends time with our troops.She is our Bob Hope.
To bad it did not catch on to make a hit for her.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-15-2015, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nope. Still can't get away with this song. Normally I love long rambling Stevie songs but this one just does absolutely nothing for me.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hate this song. Did not belong on a greatest hits collection.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
The "ahhhss" after Operation Desert Shield/Storm...
I absolutely love that part. I love the whole song but that bit really does it for me!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Hate this song. Did not belong on a greatest hits collection.
But Stevie says its not a greatest hits collection. She fought tooth and nail to not put out a "greatest hits" album. She got most of her way. Its not called greatest hits and she got to name it Timespace. She also got to pick the songs...some not even released as singles like Beauty and the Beast. And she got to include new material 3 new songs. She got most of what she wanted but of course can be billed as Greatest Hits.
But the song does belong on the record. Stevie was very involved with the troops before the war and writing them letters. This song would be odd to have been released at some other time or not at all. Its a moment in time and very rare for Stevie to write about world events like the Berlin wall coming down and Operation Desert Storm. Love this from her.
The line "I was born in the desert so I know what it feels there" always cracked me up though. Stevie may have been born in Arizona but I doubt her mother gave birth in a desert To also compare Arizona to what the troops were in Kuwait and Iraq is a laughable comparison.
But just love Stevie writing about how she connected with these brave soldiers. Priceless!
Old 08-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
But Stevie says its not a greatest hits collection. She fought tooth and nail to not put out a "greatest hits" album. She got most of her way. Its not called greatest hits and she got to name it Timespace. She also got to pick the songs...some not even released as singles like Beauty and the Beast. And she got to include new material 3 new songs. She got most of what she wanted but of course can be billed as Greatest Hits.
But the song does belong on the record. Stevie was very involved with the troops before the war and writing them letters. This song would be odd to have been released at some other time or not at all. Its a moment in time and very rare for Stevie to write about world events like the Berlin wall coming down and Operation Desert Storm. Love this from her.
The line "I was born in the desert so I know what it feels there" always cracked me up though. Stevie may have been born in Arizona but I doubt her mother gave birth in a desert To also compare Arizona to what the troops were in Kuwait and Iraq is a laughable comparison.
But just love Stevie writing about how she connected with these brave soldiers. Priceless!

History speaks for itself. Timespace was and is a great set of songs and very smartly titled for the time. I always loved Desert Angel just as I love Soliders Angel. These tracks stand alone.