User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Songwriters typically don't give away their bread and butter ($$) for a word or two. It's when someone makes a substantial contribution to the song/meaning/melody whatever.

Frankly I *do* believe our girl could have grabbed the credit-- or people acting or her behalf. The music business is pretty nasty. (Stevie's famous words "We're rock stars, and rock stars aren't nice"). And reading the articles, it talks about record labels, managers, whomever demanding writing credit for their artist so that person appears to be responsible for creating their own material and success … and if Stevie didn't bring enough good stuff to the table for FM, I can totally see her management fearing it would look bad for her to be covering someone else's material on a Mac record. On a solo record is one thing-- there are 10-12 songs on an album and that's a tough order to fill for any writer on every.single.album. So having a couple of songs by other writers there isn't anything "bad". But to only have to cough up 3 songs for FM and not even be able to do that would make her look really bad. Not to say she didn't have all her vault material but obviously she liked Seven Wonders, took it to FM, *they* really liked it and thought it had single potential, and it would just look bad for Stevie to just be the 'singer' on an outside writer's song on a Mac album.

It's a business all about 'image' and not necessarily about truth or honesty or integrity (ask Lindsey, he can talk about that forever). So yeah I can see Stevie's managers saying to Sandy, "think of the money you'll make in royalties even as a cowrite on a FM album". Having that hit with the Mac means she can charge more for her songs if other bands/singers want to do them. It's all tradeoffs.
Hmm. I can see your point here. And I can definitely see Stewart weighing a reduced percentage in favor of bigger on-a-Mac album sales. I wonder why the just "additional words" credit, if Nicks was trying to grab credit, and why Nicks has been so vocal about saying she only got the credit because she couldn't actually remember all the lyrics and just "winged it"? That seems very proactively blunt and honest for someone trying to grab credit.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Hmm. I can see your point here. And I can definitely see Stewart weighing a reduced percentage in favor of bigger on-a-Mac album sales. I wonder why the just "additional words" credit, if Nicks was trying to grab credit, and why Nicks has been so vocal about saying she only got the credit because she couldn't actually remember all the lyrics and just "winged it"? That seems very proactively blunt and honest for someone trying to grab credit.
Dunno. Maybe it was her team that did it and she felt bad? Maybe she got sober and realized it wasn't nice? My bet is the team, but who knows. Celebrities hire people to be hardass on their behalf. Maybe Sandy indicated she would blab (though seems less likely) and Stevie got out ahead of it? My guess is management team, and a zonked Stevie. I don't recall exactly but I don't think it said 'additional words' on the album when it came out, just her name. Anyone have an orig copy? My vinyl is in storage…..
Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
I might be getting a bit off topic here, but am I the only one who thinks Blurred Lines is one of the most disgusting songs ever?
Blurred Lines is absolutely foul. The objectifying of women's bodies that goes on in the video, the lyrics that LITERALLY talk about the ~blurred lines~ of consent... And the fact that a song with such awful content could be kept at number one on the charts for long periods of time in multiple countries by people streaming and buying it? Ugh, just thinking about it makes me mad.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyhelena View Post
Blurred Lines is absolutely foul. The objectifying of women's bodies that goes on in the video, the lyrics that LITERALLY talk about the ~blurred lines~ of consent... And the fact that a song with such awful content could be kept at number one on the charts for long periods of time in multiple countries by people streaming and buying it? Ugh, just thinking about it makes me mad.
I'm not arguing your point, 'cause I totally get it, but I hear the lyrics differently. To me, the 'blurred lines' were those of relationship boundaries and monogamy. He's singing to a girl who is in a relationship with someone else, yet who is being very flirty with him despite that fact. He thinks her other guy is a schmuck and says 'I'm here to liberate you' He says to her, you're a good girl, but I know you want it (me), even though you have a boyfriend. The lines of fidelity and monogamy are what I interpret as being blurred. Maybe I hear it differently because I am male?

Have you seen the parody with a female group singing about a boy? Hilarious. Even has boys in booty shorts and heels, dancing.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I'm not arguing your point, 'cause I totally get it, but I hear the lyrics differently. To me, the 'blurred lines' were those of relationship boundaries and monogamy. He's singing to a girl who is in a relationship with someone else, yet who is being very flirty with him despite that fact. He thinks her other guy is a schmuck and says 'I'm here to liberate you' He says to her, you're a good girl, but I know you want it (me), even though you have a boyfriend. The lines of fidelity and monogamy are what I interpret as being blurred. Maybe I hear it differently because I am male?

Have you seen the parody with a female group singing about a boy? Hilarious. Even has boys in booty shorts and heels, dancing.
I see it as being about consent 'cause of lyrics such as the extraordinarily charming 'I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two', the many times repeated 'I know you want it', and of course, 'what rhymes with hug me?'. The whole sexual violence and Rohypnol thing sounded really rapey to me; and as a seventeen-year-old girl (so yes, some of our differing views probably are to do with ~age and stage~), I have plenty of young peers who have been coerced into things they aren't at all comfortable with, usually by older guys who give them the whole 'but you're a good girl, and I know you want it' thing. And then there's this post I found a while back, contrasting the song's lyrics to things rape victims were told by their rapists: http://thesocietypages.org/socimages...eal-life-rape/

And I don't think I've seen that particular video, but I've seen a few of guys dancing in heels to Beyoncé and Lady Gaga- oh to have such talent! Compared to them, I'm a toddler in a pair of my mother's shoes!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bekka Bramlett did that on "Nothing Without You" on the "Time" album. It originally appeared on Delaney Bramlett's "Giving Birth To A Song" album twenty years earlier. She changed the line "'Cause I'm such a lucky man" to "'Cause I hold the winning hand" and got a songwriting credit.

BTW, where a song has two co-writers, the writer of the lyrics/melody usually gets 75%, while the writer who comes up with the chord progression gets 25%. On those songs, the writer of the lyrics/melody usually gets first credit. Of course, there are exceptions, most notably "Yesterday," where John Lennon really had nothing to do with the song.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
ALSO, speaking of songwriting royalties, Lindsey stated last year that Christine SOLD her music catalog. That doesn't seem like a smart move, she must have received a WHOLE LOTTA MONEY !! So, does that mean Chris no longer gets paid when her songs are played?
It was probably a lump sum payment, kind of like winning the lottery. Christine is the wealthiest British female musician of all time. She probably has enough money to last 10 lifetimes. Once you have that much money, it's self-sustained through investments and you basically live off the interest.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
On those songs, the writer of the lyrics/melody usually gets first credit. Of course, there are exceptions, most notably "Yesterday," where John Lennon really had nothing to do with the song.
Also with "Give Peace A Chance" where Paul McCartney is listed as co-writer but had nothing to do with the song at all. (other than playing it once in concert in 1988 as part of a John Lennon tribute medley with "Help!" & "Strawberry Fields Forever"), John just happened to write it while the songwriting partnership was still under contract (back when anything either of them wrote was credited to Lennon/McCartney regardless of whether the other one had any input or not).
Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Dunno. Maybe it was her team that did it and she felt bad? Maybe she got sober and realized it wasn't nice? My bet is the team, but who knows. Celebrities hire people to be hardass on their behalf. Maybe Sandy indicated she would blab (though seems less likely) and Stevie got out ahead of it? My guess is management team, and a zonked Stevie. I don't recall exactly but I don't think it said 'additional words' on the album when it came out, just her name. Anyone have an orig copy? My vinyl is in storage…..
From what I recall the original credit was "additional lyrics by Stevie Nicks".
Old 09-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
It was probably a lump sum payment, kind of like winning the lottery. Christine is the wealthiest British female musician of all time. She probably has enough money to last 10 lifetimes. Once you have that much money, it's self-sustained through investments and you basically live off the interest.
From what I can remember reading years ago, I believe she sold her catalogue for somewhere in the range of $80 million.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Christine is the wealthiest British female musician of all time.
Really?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
From what I can remember reading years ago, I believe she sold her catalogue for somewhere in the range of $80 million.
I have a vivid memory of an article in Billboard that said she sold the rights for a paltry 5 million. Somewhere in the 90's. But I cannot find a single article online about it. I know it was a very low number. Maybe 5. 7. Or 8. Not double digits. I recall thinking I could have ganged up with a few friends and bought her songs. It was not a big number. I was horrified.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I have a vivid memory of an article in Billboard that said she sold the rights for a paltry 5 million. Somewhere in the 90's. But I cannot find a single article online about it. I know it was a very low number. Maybe 5. 7. Or 8. Not double digits. I recall thinking I could have ganged up with a few friends and bought her songs. It was not a big number. I was horrified.
No it was a lot more than that
Old 10-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

I believe Annie Lennox is listed as the most wealthy female British entertainer -- and I believe that. She co-wrote everything the Eurythmics did and they hit the UK top ten twice as often as Fleetwood Mac did in the 80s.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, though I'm sure she's well off, I doubt that Christine is the richest anything.

Michele