User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
That Buck Owens story is the coolest thing I've read fan-wise in a very long time.
Thanks. Here's a quick version of how I had my "inside" to his secretary.
So I started coming to Nashville around 1990, with a friend from back home. There was this movie poster store, called Cinemonde(if memory serves). My buddy bought this HUGE Buck Owens poster(I can't remember what it was advertising, only that it was like 6' tall). My friend bought it for about $70. He did his homework, and got a hold of Buck's people in Bakersfield. He mailed it out there for Buck to sign. Buck fell in love with it, and wanted it for his Bakersfield club(Crystal Palace - again, if memory serves...I've never been there). Well of course my friend didn't want to give it up, but it WAS Buck asking! Well, they got online and searched and searched, and finally found a 2nd one! So they bought that one for Buck. Buck signed his and returned it, along with a bunch of Buck Owens/Crystal Palace swag. I remember a Crystal Palace watch, and there were several other things. Well, Buck's secretary was "Lou Ann", and that's how I was able to get in touch with him and his people.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
It's possible to be both!
To me, these new country stars.... are neither(country or star!). I've done sound for Miranda and Aldean. They're so protected by their entourage, that it's barely possible for even people working on the show to have contact with them. I had been in Nashville a week before the Miranda show, and picked up a free local music magazine, with her on the cover, and did manage to get her to autograph it. Which was an all day feat, on my part. Had to wait for that 5 second window of opportunity, before her "handlers" got in the way!

Yes, she's had a few songs that I liked. Her first big hit, she ripped off from Steve Earle(who used to be country, before he was completely bat**** crazy). As soon as his people heard it, they fired off litigation, and her people realized it WAS too close to his song, and offered up a 50/50 royalty split. So he got half the royalties from her song!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool I need to...

reorganize the vinyl lp's in my spare bedroom - I inherited ALL the vinyl that belonged to my Mom/Dad - so I have a great collection of classic rock, surf music and 60's era county/western music...and of course Dad's massive Elvis collection.

Brian "M.A. member #1 - Music Addicts Anonymous" j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
To me, these new country stars.... are neither(country or star!). I've done sound for Miranda and Aldean. They're so protected by their entourage, that it's barely possible for even people working on the show to have contact with them. I had been in Nashville a week before the Miranda show, and picked up a free local music magazine, with her on the cover, and did manage to get her to autograph it. Which was an all day feat, on my part. Had to wait for that 5 second window of opportunity, before her "handlers" got in the way!

Yes, she's had a few songs that I liked. Her first big hit, she ripped off from Steve Earle(who used to be country, before he was completely bat**** crazy). As soon as his people heard it, they fired off litigation, and her people realized it WAS too close to his song, and offered up a 50/50 royalty split. So he got half the royalties from her song!
Hmpf. These young'uns...

about Steve Earle. I used to love his stuff.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I'm glad you got your copy.Did you digitalize{transfer} the album for it won't get worned out.
Well about that. I have 2 copies of the pink "Legendary Christine Perfect" reissue and those are the ones I play and play and play. Then I have the 180g Audiophile pressing and now this one. So there's no fear of me wearing a valuable one out.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
It's my birthday today

And look what came in the mail... perfect timing!

Pictures like this and ButterCookie's Christine Perfect
vinyl makes me happy!!!

Homer,
Love that guitar! Didn't you also recently purchase a Gretsch?

Happy New Guitar Day to me. Recording King RD-316.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Hmpf. These young'uns...

about Steve Earle. I used to love his stuff.
I know. I've only appreciated old country, for the last 10-15 years. I was very prejudiced against it, before that.

Steve Earle is batsh*t crazy. It's industry knowledge.
And I KNOW I've shared my story of working for him, on here, and his tour manager taking me on his bus, for him to autograph my guitar(a $1200 Takamine - not some $20 piece of sh*t), and all he had to say, was(VERY audibly to all his band)"I f*ckin' HATE these Japanese pieces of ****". (I left, mouth open, and of course speechless! after he signed it)

~Thanks Steve, I'd purchased every single CD you've ever released....oh, and btw, NEVER ONE SINCE. Oh, and f*ck you~ is what I should have said.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post

Homer,
Love that guitar! Didn't you also recently purchase a Gretsch?

Happy New Guitar Day to me. Recording King RD-316.
Yeah, thanks for remembering! I bought that Gretsch last fall. I love it!!!! And it's now my main guitar, in the "old country" version of my band. Hollowbody is must, for old country. A completely different flavor, it adds!

Congrats on your NGD!!!! Recording King....I've not heard of that.
(off to search now). I hope you love it!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well my date was suitably awkward. He's a nice guy but he's so bloody quiet. It was left up to socially awkward Penguin over here to colour in the gaps. It turns out we have very little in common aside from a vague interest in art on his part and a vague liking of Pokemon (He's obsessed) on my part. He was a laugh though. I had a decent time. But it ended with "Right...See you then" from me when I got on my bus so I doubt it's going anywhere soon.

To kick things off, when I was waiting for him at the bus station a Tramp came over to me and stroked my face. That was weird.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

JTIS that I was filming some bunnies today in conjunction with the RSPCA and the Manchester Museum. If I had the money to give him the life he deserves, I'd have brought home a giant lop named Elvis. Alas it wasn't meant to be, but I got to have a cuddle of these week-or-two old rabbit kittens ♥

Yes, those are massive circles under my eyes because I stayed up last night theme-ing my Tumblr and had 5 hours sleep last night.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
JTIS that I was filming some bunnies today in conjunction with the RSPCA and the Manchester Museum. If I had the money to give him the life he deserves, I'd have brought home a giant lop named Elvis. Alas it wasn't meant to be, but I got to have a cuddle of these week-or-two old rabbit kittens ♥

Yes, those are massive circles under my eyes because I stayed up last night theme-ing my Tumblr and had 5 hours sleep last night.
We have a Cat named Elvis at my Sanctuary at work. He's a massive boy too (And yes. I want him. But then again, I want every single Cat there for different reasons). Hopefully both our Elvis' will find happy furever homes along with their friends.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I got my Degree results today. 2:1. Not bad.

With that degree, my full name now is Stephenie Ashley-Mai Lee, BA(Hons). What a mouthful lol.

Last edited by Silver Springs; 07-20-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Old 07-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post

With that degree, my full name now is Stephenie Ashley-Mai Lee, BA(Hons). What a mouthful lol.
Congratulations

Old 07-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Silver Springs
This message has been deleted by Silver Springs.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:18 AM
Silver Springs
This message has been deleted by Silver Springs.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

I do know what you mean about newer stars being more distant from fans but I was mainly saying that it's possible to like such older country music/performers as well liking what some of the new people do on record/live - not just how they are with fans. I love my old time, traditional country (Buck, Loretta etc) but some country pop/rock can be a lot of fun too, although I'll admit that less of the recent stuff appeals to me.

I really love some of Miranda's stuff though. A lot of her lyrics are very clever and the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Revolution albums in particular are fantastic, as is the Pistol Annies record. I heard about the writing issue regarding her song Kersoene and Steve Earle's I Feel Alright when it happened. I really like both songs.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post

Congratulations, Bee! (or should I say Stephenie!) You've worked very hard. This is a wonderful accomplishment!