User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation 'Bored, lonely' man charged in horrific crime

Suspect described as 'quiet' submerged 'dangerously weird' fantasies

PURCELL, Okla. - The man accused of killing a 10-year-old neighbor girl for an elaborate plan to eat human flesh joked about cannibalism on his online diary, discussed the effects of not taking his anti-depression medication and mentioned "dangerously weird" fantasies.

All he wanted in life, Kevin Ray Underwood wrote in his blog, was "to be able to live like a normal person."

People who knew Underwood described him Sunday as a quiet, "boring" and seemingly trustworthy young man. His mother who lived across town called him a "wonderful boy."

The 26-year-old grocery store stocker was arrested Friday. Investigators searched his apartment after he aroused their suspicions at a checkpoint, and found a large plastic tub in a bedroom closet. According to a police affidavit, he confessed that he killed Jamie Rose Bolin, telling FBI agents: "Go ahead and arrest me. She is in there. I chopped her up."

Jamie's unclothed body was inside the tub, along with a towel used to soak up blood, officials said. Police said that, while there were deep saw marks on the girl's neck, she had not been dismembered.

Elaborate plan
"Regarding a potential motive," Purcell Police Chief David Tompkins said Saturday, "this appears to have been part of a plan to kidnap a person, rape them, torture them, kill them, cut off their head, drain the body of blood, rape the corpse, eat the corpse then dispose of the organs and bones."

Investigators found meat tenderizer and barbecue skewers that he planned to use on the body, McClain County District Attorney Tim Kuykendall said in this small community 40 miles south of Oklahoma City.

Underwood, who is to be formally charged with first-degree murder Monday, lived alone in an apartment downstairs from the one where Jamie lived with her father.

Authorities believe Underwood killed the girl Wednesday, when she disappeared after going to a library, by beating and smothering her.

Underwood's family was shocked.

'Always a wonderful boy'
"This is something that I don't know where it came from," Underwood's mother, Connie, said through tears in a brief telephone interview Sunday with The Associated Press. "He was always a wonderful boy.

"I would like to be able to tell her family how sorry we are. I just feel so terrible."

On his blog, an online diary that he had kept since September 2002, Underwood described himself as "single, bored, and lonely, but other than that, pretty happy."

He mentions cannibalism, asking "If you were a cannibal, what would you wear to dinner?" and responding: "The skin of last night's main course."

In an entry dated Feb. 4, 2006, Underwood wrote that he struggled with depression and social interaction.

His greatest wish: Be 'like a normal person'
"Pretty much the only time I believe in God is when I blame him for something," he said. "Or, when I'm really depressed, to cry and beg him to make me better, to make whatever is wrong in my brain go away, so that I can live like a normal person.

"That's all I want in life, is to be able to live like a normal person."

He wrote that he rarely left his apartment for long stretches, except to go to work and to buy food. "I just sit here at the computer every minute of the day, when I'm not at work. A week or so ago, I spent my day off sitting here at the computer, barely moving from the chair, for 14 hours."

He said one of his main interests was the online role-playing game "Kingdom of Loathing," in which stick figures battle one another.

In September 2004, he wrote that his depression deepened after several months without taking the medication Lexapro, an antidepressant also used in the treatment of anxiety disorders.

"For example, my fantasies are just getting weirder and weirder. Dangerously weird," he wrote. "If people knew the kinds of things I think about anymore, I'd probably be locked away. No probably about it, I know I would be."

Dutiful but 'boring' worker
Underwood worked for nearly seven years at a Carl's Jr. restaurant, where shift leader Bill Verdan described him as a quiet person who kept to himself. "He did a good job," Verdan said Sunday.

However, he said Underwood, who quit about a year ago, was a "boring" man who rarely smiled.

"Just his tone of voice, he just sounded dull," Verdan said. "Trying to get a smile out of him took an act of Congress."

Verdan said he and his wife and young daughters never suspected anything unusual. "He gave my wife rides home from work numerous times," he said. "We never felt uncomfortable. I talked to my girls after this happened, and they said they felt comfortable around him."

His most recent job was as a stocker at a Griders Discount Foods grocery store in Oklahoma City, where he arrived early for his shift Friday, said a manager at the store, Jerry Castro.

"He was the same as always," Castro said. "He was quiet and kept to himself. He didn't interact with people. It just didn't dawn on you that this was something he'd do."

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

------------------------------------------------

Really a sick person who took a young life.

What really bothers me is that this guy was taking Lexapro, Which I was also on last year (Due to severe anxiety/depression) and after I came off of it I felt rather weird, to say the least.

Whatever chemicals were in Lexapro, They was messing with my head for a few weeks after I "weaned" myself off of it (I did so because it was tripping me out) and my doctor even agreed after Deb told him how it was affecting me.

Last edited by estranged4life; 04-16-2006 at 06:22 PM..
Old 04-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw this on the news. Just terrible!
Old 04-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I cannot even fathom what goes on in the minds of people that do these types of things.

Is it chemical? is it psychological? and the scary part is, you cant tell by looking. they walk around among us, part of society, invisible. So sad.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It might be either that this guy is mentally ill, or the drugs he was on brought it out of him.

Know that there are substances in existence that can make ANYONE do stuff like that - it's just a question of them not being available to people. Maybe these particular drugs cause very severe reactions in a tiny tiny number of people. On the other hand, maybe he would have done it without the drugs. Who the hell knows?

Awful tragedy for the girl's family to have to deal with
Old 04-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope I'm not getting too far off topic here, but my boyfriend just watched a movie called Wolf Creek about some wacko that was Texas chainsawing people in Austraila and that it was a true story. Does anyone know anythign about this?>
Old 04-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ I haven't seen Wolf Creek, but I have watched the movie they made about Jeffrey Dahmer.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation What's of interest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
^^^ I haven't seen Wolf Creek, but I have watched the movie they made about Jeffrey Dahmer.
is what video did they FBI find in this wackaloon's apartment, Apparently they found some video about "serial killers"...But they have yet to say who or what it is about. (Purcell is not far from where we live, So this news has really struck a nerve in the OKC metro.)
Old 04-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
is what video did they FBI find in this wackaloon's apartment, Apparently they found some video about "serial killers"...But they have yet to say who or what it is about. (Purcell is not far from where we live, So this news has really struck a nerve in the OKC metro.)
I will say this. It mustve been good cop work that nabbed this guys before he could do anything else to this poor girl or anyone else.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I will say this. It mustve been good cop work that nabbed this guys before he could do anything else to this poor girl or anyone else.
Not good police work at all. The police originally were on the lookout for a kidnapper out of Texas in a dark blue Chevy Tahoe who may have met this child via chatroom.

Would you believe this waste-of-sperm actually was heading back to the apartment complex, Saw the FBI/OSBI stationed around the area and became so nervous at the site of the law officials at the scene that he said "Go ahead and arrest me. She is in there. I chopped her up."

If he never would have became nervous at the site of law officials, it was very possible he could had commited the rest of his sick/warped plan, While the police were looking elsewhere.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I can see both sides - and I kinda feel sorry for the guy, he obviously needed some help. But then again, that poor girl
Old 04-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought I was past getting shocked by anything but this actually brought out a whole range of emotions from me when I read it on CNN yesterday.

First I was shocked at the brutality of the crime. Then I got upset when I read about the girl begged and kept saying to him "I'm sorry" as he beat her to death with a chopping board.. How dare she feel sorry. Then I got angry when I read about the fact it was all planned out and how he went and purchased meat tenderisers, knives and barbeque equipment. Finally I pondered the randomness of life itself when I read that the only reason she became his victim was because she chose to walk the street he lived on.. The whole thing disgusts me more than any crime I think I can remember, at least since a school caretaker over here in the UK sexually abused and then murdered two 10 year old girls.

The only thing I can see to be thankful of is at least this poor girl was dead before this monster sexually abused her. Other than that I can't think of a worse way for a life to end.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

as a mommy, this just made me ill, literally, i could barely finish the story, but felt compelled to for the memory of the little girl~ also i have read that her poor father collapsed & has had to be sedated since, his daughter was his life~ it is all so crazy & heinous & i just don't understand the cruelty~ & some people wonder why as parents we are so damn overprotective of our kids~ this is exactly the reason~ may this little angel R.I.P.