Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Mayall's Back to the Roots

Didn't really want to start a new thread, but I thought this topic was worthy. I would love to hear some of Green's guitar work on Mayall's Back to the Roots album. He was supposed to record for that album, and I thought I remember reading he did, but his tracks weren't used. Anybody have any insight?
Old 02-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The liner notes to the original double LP contain a note from Mayall saying that his objective to record with as many of his former band members as possible proved logistical impossible.

The sessions were done in both London and the U.S. between November 15th and the 25th 1970. It is almost impossible at this point, to say with certainty just where Green was around this time.

Green is known to have flown to the U.S. near the end of September and was said to have returned home near the “end of November”.

From what has been written (and should certainly not to be taken as “fact”), Green was at that time searching for a new direction, not only in his music but also his life.

I think that Green would have been willing to participate in the sessions if he could have fit them into his “schedule” but the timing was probably off.

The liner notes also contain a list of musicians who passed through Mayall’s bands and after each name, what they had then moved on to.
After “Peter Green”, Mayall wrote, “wandering minstrel”, a not inaccurate assessment.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-17-2015, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default logistic impossibility

Sugarcane Harris was not in any of the sessions but overdubbed his fiddle when the tapes were sent to him. I have to believe that Peter was indeed a wandering minstrel at the time. I remember that it was around then that he was dancing in the audience and then on stage at an Allman Brothers show at The Warehouse in New Orleans around that time. My chronology may be off but he was everywhere, just like in the Johnny Cash song