Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks ' My Life In Books.' UK Elle Magazine

Stevie is featured in the Sept issue of UK Elle. I received my copy today and she talks about the books that are important to her. There's a paragraph about each of the following books.

Out of Africa
The Little Prince
The Complete Tales & Poems of Poe
The Mabinogion Trilogy
The Twilight Series
Jane Eyre\Wuthering Heights
Wide Sargasso Sea

Quite an interesting read. Has this already appeared in American Elle - I know quite often the same articles appear in Elle UK, US etc??

I don't know if any UK people have this yet and have a scanner? I haven't got a scanner but am happy to type it out if anyone is interested?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetinmyheart View Post
I don't know if any UK people have this yet and have a scanner? I haven't got a scanner but am happy to type it out if anyone is interested?
Type away baby! This is the first we are hearing about it. It sounds scrumptious.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would absolutely love it if you could type it out. Please, please, please! I'm working The Little Prince with an elementary schooler I tutor right now, so I would love to bring in what Stevie had to say about it to her and explain that Stevie means a lot to me and our book means a lot to her
You're so like me
Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love, love to hear anything else she has to say about Wide Sargasso Sea--one of my favorite books of all time.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Am typing as we speak.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetinmyheart View Post
Am typing as we speak.
Thank you! Very much appreciated.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool!

She did talk a little about Wide Sargasso Sea in the Jim Ladd interview.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think there's anything particularly new here, but interesting all the same. Apologies for any typos.

My Life In Books: Iconic musician Stevie Nicks on the writing that has changed her life

Out of Africa - Karen Blixen

This memoir recounts the time Karen Blixen (a Danish author) spent in Kenya from 1914. When I saw the 1985 movine version with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford, it just killed me and inspired me to read the book. Both make me sob so much I can hardly breathe. Later, my assistant gave me a beautiful old copy, which makes me treasure the story more. I even stayed in the Karen Blixen suite at the Hotel D'Angleterre in her native Compenhagen. The relationship between Blixten and the Safari hunter Denys Finch Hatton broke my heart. It's a book about finding and losing love.

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

I've read all of Poe's poetry as well as Lord Byron's and Oscar Wilde's. He is deep and brooding - you can make many songs from his poems. I like Byron for the same reason - his characters are dark and intense like Lindsey. Oscar Wilde's work is more flamboyant, but he was a really good storyteller.

The Mabinogion Trilogy - Evangeline Walton

These four fantasy-fiction books by American author Evangeline Walton (The Prince of Annwn, The Children of Llyr, The Song of Rhiannon and The Island of The Mighty) are based on traditional Welsh myths. Someone sent them to me back in 1978 because I'd written a song called Rhiannon 5 years earlier. Walton started her work around 1934 and finished in 1974, which was right around the time that I wrote Rhiannon, so I felt like when her work ended, mine began.

The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I first discovered The Little Prince when I was in high school and fell in love with the book straight away. My make-up artist has a tatoo of the Little Prince on the side of her leg, so I'm often reminded of what a beautiful story it is. It's a sweet fable about the relationship between a little boy and his love for a rose. There is such a strong philosophy of love and loneliness running throughout the book that I can't help but return to it again and again.

The Twilight Series - Stephenie Meyer

Moonlight (A Vampire's Dream), a song on my new album was written about New Moon. The song is about what happens when a relationship breaks down or, more specifically, when you are abandoned in some way. I could totally relate to that. I think that Meyer's stories are magnificent and I'm amazed at how she built her complex world. Writing a song seems much simpler that writing a novel - a song is just five verses and a chorus! I think the love story between Edward and Bella is going to live on forever, like Beauty and the Beast.

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

I first read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights (written by Charlotte's sister Emily Bronte) when I was in college in California in the late 1960s. They are two of my favourite books because they're just so briliantly written. The beauty of both these classics is that they were fantastic when I was a teenager and they still appeal to me now as a 63 year old woman.

Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys

Wide Sargasso Sea is inspired by Bronte's classic Jane Eyre. The novel explores the life of Mrs Rochester, 'the wild woman in the attic', in 1830s Jamaica before she was brought to England by Mr Rochester. Jean Rhys wrote this book as a precursor to Jane Eyre because of her love for the Bronte novel. I saw the film adaptation of the book in the early 1990s and it inspired me to write the song of the same name on my album.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for making the effort to type that out for us. I'm always happy to have evidence that our girl is a smarty-pants (as well as an occasional ding-dong!).
Ricoh V.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for transcribing! And of course there's a Lindsey reference. LOL. Oh, Stevie, you're so transparent.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie WOULD like someones writing because their characters are like Lindsey. Oh, Stevie.

Cringing at Twilight but, the rest of the list is awesome and I really enjoyed what she had to say.

Thank you so much for typing it up!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyRose View Post
Thank you for transcribing! And of course there's a Lindsey reference. LOL. Oh, Stevie, you're so transparent.
Byron's dark and intense just like Lindsey. I feel like throwing out the names of historical figures to her, just so she can tell me what they have in common with Lindsey. "Aristotle! King Solomon! Helen Keller!"

So, it seems like she spends a lot of time looking at the side of her make up artist's leg, for some reason.

Michele
Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Byron's dark and intense just like Lindsey. I feel like throwing out the names of historical figures to her, just so she can tell me what they have in common with Lindsey. "Aristotle! King Solomon! Helen Keller!"

Michele
It's so hilarious to me that she seemingly cannot do one interview without mentioning his name. Even when she's talking about books and not music necessarily.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It was no problem typing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyRose View Post
It's so hilarious to me that she seemingly cannot do one interview without mentioning his name. Even when she's talking about books and not music necessarily.
I know - he is constantly on her mind it seems! She always finds a way to bring it back to Lindsey.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks so much for typing that up!! I really want to read all of those books now!! Especially the Byron poems because "his characters are dark and intense like Lindsey" I think it's hysterical how I have yet to read one interview where she doesn't mention his name. Oh Stevie you never fail to make me laugh