User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
Indie labels, yes I could see that being a big part of the equation. As for the single resurgence, what medium was being utilized? Wouldn't much of that time frame be post-45's, but pre-digital? There was no Internet around until the early 90's, for all intents and purposes. Was there some kind of mini-CDs or discs that blew right by me?
Still mainly 45's in the late '70s, and increasingly 12" singles by the early '80s. CD singles started coming out later in the '80s (same format as regular CDs, just less music on them), but 12" vinyl singles have never completely gone away.

A side note....one of the first really big-selling 12" singles was New Order's "Blue Monday" in 1983, which was not included on their subsequent LP Power, Corruption & Lies. But similar to "Oh Well" and Then Play On, "Blue Monday" was added to the later CD release of PC&L.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Still mainly 45's in the late '70s, and increasingly 12" singles by the early '80s. CD singles started coming out later in the '80s (same format as regular CDs, just less music on them), but 12" vinyl singles have never completely gone away.

A side note....one of the first really big-selling 12" singles was New Order's "Blue Monday" in 1983, which was not included on their subsequent LP Power, Corruption & Lies. But similar to "Oh Well" and Then Play On, "Blue Monday" was added to the later CD release of PC&L.
Wild. Most of that went right by me at the time. 12'' singles, waka! I swear the last 45 I purchased must have been On The Road Again by Canned Heat. Or maybe something by CCR or the Doors or - for christ's sake - Country Joe & The Fish [ please say noooooooooooo ]. lol

Now I've always been gullible I suppose, but never so much so as when I raised my fist to Country Joe's fish cheer. "And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us" ... blah blah blah
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default F I S H

Country Joe did a fund raiser for a club i am in, this past summer to help us maintain a Hudson River Sloop called the "Woody Guthrie". It was built by Pete Seeger ,who is in the club, in 78, and Pete turned around and donated it to the club, providing we kept it afloat. Country Joe was doing a Woody Guthrie tribute tour and did the whole show for us. He may be banged about from the 60's but still has his wits about him and was a great show and is a good CD. The Fish were bigger than the DEad and Jefferson Airplane for a time. It would seem that Peter took a liking to him.

even if he was "rockhead"

sorry for the digression

doodyhead
Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Moz, Keep going with the timeline! Don't let our frequent two cents and comments for revision deter you! I want to see more
Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Right now I'm going through Mick's book, finding more information. Hopefully I'll be able to update it during the weekend,

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah take all the time you need, the old guard and true Mac faithful aren't going anywhere - and we blow the pants off all those Stevie drones found ruminating elsewhere (across the hall). Ha!

Keep an eye out in whatever source material you have for where Kiln House was recorded. That one really interests me, though I'm not sure why.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ETA: Added dates for Jan. 25 and Feb. 5, 6, 7 1969 to the timeline (first post on first page).

I took a peek at my Kiln House LP and, unsurprisingly, it didn't say where it was recorded. Hopefully Mick's book will give some clues.

About the Dragonfly single: I found this at this site : They also released a single at that time; "Dragonfly" b/w "The Purple Dancer" in the U.K. and certain European countries. The single was not a success and the B-side has only been reissued once, on a Reprise German-only "Best of" album, making it one of their most obscure songs.
I found a release date of March 5, 1971. Does that sound right?

From this site, more about Christine joining the band: Christine made her first appearance with the band at Bristol University in May 1969 just as she was leaving Chicken Shack. She had had success with the Etta James classic, "I'd Rather Go Blind", and was twice voted female artist of the year in England. Christine McVie played her first gig as an official member on August 6, 1970 in New Orleans.
August 6! I don't know if that's correct, but it's quite close to the guesstimation (I hate that word) of August 1.

Peter filling in after Jeremy left: Liable for the remaining shows on the tour they convinced Peter Green to help finish the tour. He brought along his friend, Nigel Watson, who played the congas (twenty-five years later Green and Watson would collaborate again to form the Peter Green Splinter Group).
Is this true?

As for finishing this timeline, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. The rest of the information I have yet to post on here are tidbits from '67-73 and everything from 1974 (since this is the pre-Rumours forum, I won't write up the stuff after Stevie and Lindsey joined). Should I continue on and add solo albums and other works Pete, Danny, Jeremy, etc. released after 1974? And what about Mick's albums, John's cd, and Christine's albums? I mean, they were in the pre-Rumours Fleetwood Mac. I'm also considering adding albums John Mayall recorded, and personal information, like when the band members were married, but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in seeing that.

And a completely unrelated question: What albums came with inserts/lyric sheets? I have the original version of Mystery to Me with "Good Things (Come To Those That Wait", but no lyric sheet (grieve_not, a member of livejournal.com, said so).

And memorabilia and merchandise--what was made? I know Peter had a sticker that said "Fleetwood Mac is swift" on a guitar case, there were two Penguin-era bumper stickers, and on the back of Heroes Are Hard to Find, Bob is wearing a shirt that simply reads "Fleetwood Mac".

EDIT: I got a usb record player for Christmas, so I am able to transfer records to mp3 format. I'd like to get "Good Things" up here for people to download, since it was never released on CD (as far as I know). If it's not on CD, it's not commercially available, so... my question is: would I get in trouble (from mods, admin, etc.) if I posted it here? And what other songs would I be able to upload?

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."

Last edited by Moz; 01-08-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Country Joe did a fund raiser for a club i am in, this past summer to help us maintain a Hudson River Sloop called the "Woody Guthrie". He may be banged about from the 60's but still has his wits about him and was a great show and is a good CD. The Fish were bigger than the DEad and Jefferson Airplane for a time.
Not sure if they were ever bigger than the Dead or Airplane (you think?) but McDonald did have a nice little run there for a while. Not sure if you knew this, but he was sued for copyright infringement over his signature Fixing-To-Die-Rag anthem a few years back by Kid Ory's daughter, she claiming the chorus refrain was a ripoff of Muskrat Ramble, Ory's old Dixieland jazz standard. At the end of the day, the court didn't see it that way, awarding McDonald some $750,000 for attorney's fees and costs, after finding the complaint "objectively unreasonable." The decision was later upheld upon appeal, forcing Ory's daughter to sell the same very copyrights to fulfill the debt! Sweet justice over but another frivolous lawsuit and money grab? You tell me.

Though the Fish were an early example of psychedelic rock, it was often a case of acid rock gone wrong. With the exception of a few memorable tunes and blues licks, most of their stuff was too far out in left field, and fairly blasé and forgettable into the bargain (imo). On MacDonald's Superstitious Blues solo project, Jerry Garcia does make a guest appearance on the guitar on some of the tracks which is worth noting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Moz, Keep going with the timeline! Don't let our frequent two cents and comments for revision deter you! I want to see more
Yes, but those points of debate and "detours" often make for the best discussion, no?

To add to the din, onward Moz!