Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2003, 10:24 AM
Ledgie

Default "Paper Doll"

Can someone clarify the songs recorded new for the CHAIN boxset in '92? I believe "Paper Doll" was one of them. Does Lindsey contribute to "Paper Doll" at all? What are people's thoughts on this song?

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-15-2003, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

This should prolly go in the "Post Rumours" section but whatever.

It was insinuated that PD, "Love shines", "Heart of stone" & "Make me a mask" were "new songs" for the Chain box but LB said in a radio interview I heard from circa OOTC time that MMAM was something he had left over from the OOTC sessions, not that he didn't like the song but just that he felt it didn't fit with the rest of OOTC so he gave it to Mick for inclusion as he said the Chain box was "Mick's thing".

I think Rick said at his Penguin Q & A that PD was actually recorded during the GH sessions in 1988 but they decided to go with NQA instead (for whatever reason, I personally think PD is the better song but whatever (again) ).

It's also been unclear as to who actually plays on the tracks (mainly LS & HOS) but for the 3rd and last time (follow the bouncing ball), whatever. Hope that's of some help.

John
Old 06-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is my fav post-Romour era song. I like Mick's drums.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Ledgie

Thanks for directing me to the Q and A section.

Here's what I found in Billy Burnette's Q & A in response to a question about who plays on "Paper Doll":

"In 1988, "Paper Doll" was overdubbed by Lindsey Buckingham, Rick Vito, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie, John McVie, Stevie Nicks, and myself. "Heart of Stone" and "Love Shines" were recorded in L.A. by Christine, John, Mick, and myself."

---

This is news to me as I never imagined that Lindsey worked at all with the BTM lineup. But I can't hear Lindsey on "Paper Doll" whatsoever.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Many of us were hoping that the Q&As with Rick and Billy would help clear up the confusion in regards to the origins of Stevie and Christine's "new" songs on 'The Chain,' but ironically their answers caused some more confusion.

Comparing what both Billy & Rick said in their respective Q&As, the best I can gather is that "Paper Doll" was originally intended for the 1988 'Greatest Hits' album (as wetcamelfood stated earlier in this thread), but only basic-tracks were recorded before the song was abandoned in favor of "No Questions Asked."

When they began recording in '88, Lindsey didn't have any involvement in the song, but when they decided to include some new songs for the 1992 boxed-set, he was involved in the overdubs.
He had stated earlier in that year, in a Billboard interview with Timothy White, that he and Stevie had agreed to go back into the studio to record some new stuff for FM's upcoming boxed-set.

I'm not sure exactly which members were involved at that time, but Stevie and Lindsey were, at the very least (as she's quite noticeable on "Heart Of Stone," which Billy has said only included him, Mick, John, and Christine).

(To anyone having trouble hearing LB, listen closely to the background vocals when Stevie sings the line "fascinated by somebody else.")
Old 06-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Thanks for the news Johnny Stew on the "add ins later" by LB etc. in PD, that does make some more sense now.

John
Old 06-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueGrass
This is my fav post-Romour era song.

Mine too!

Tamara

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." --Eleanor Roosevelt

"Maybe now he could prove to her... That he could be good for her... And they should be together.." --SN
Old 06-15-2003, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

I love the fact that it has Stevie, Chris, Lindsey, Rick and Billy all singing on it! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is the only song like this.
-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."
Old 06-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

oh wow, I didn't know it had Lindsey singing on it as well! Yes, I do really like this song- I'm glad they put it on the VBO because I probably wouldn't have heard it otherwise.

BTW, did anyone else, when they heard that song for the first time, listen to the opening part instrumentation (before the vocals start ) and go "What is this crap?"

I really do like it now though. promise.

adam
Old 06-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool COOL!!!

I can hear him in the background....he's not harmonizing with the other guys...he's doing his own thing, right? It sounds like he's going "eh-eh-eh-eh-else." I never knew that...COOL!! I've always loved this song...but yeah, when I FIRST heard it, I went "What the?" because of that zydeco sound...LOL VERY different for FM and Stevie...but that's why I like it...it's unique.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can also hear Lindsey in the background on Paper Doll. I knew it was him without having any liner notes to go by. His voice is one that I can always pick up on.

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 06-16-2003, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Godd song, sucky video.
I also like Heart of Stone. (Not so much Love Shines.)

- Jake
Old 06-16-2003, 09:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

BTW, did anyone else, when they heard that song for the first time, listen to the opening part instrumentation (before the vocals start ) and go "What is this crap?"

I really do like it now though. promise.
LMAO that is EXACTLY what I thought...but the more I listened the more it hooked me, and now I do like it a lot too.

Love and happiness from Sarah
Old 06-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I knw, when I first heard it, I was like HUh! Then I heard her voice and it was very different in the way the song was sung.

But, I have grown to like it. I also love the drums on this!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought the opening had a carnival merry go round sound to it. Not one of the greatest intros but the song really gets better as it picks up.

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009