The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Lindsey absolutely had a valid point. I was surprised that he'd even say that to Stevie though, to be honest... but I think Lindsey also said he felt it was so worth mentioning, in an effort to help strengthen the song, otherwise he wouldn't have said anything at all. But Stevie's response to him about whether he'd say that to Bob Dylan kinda put him in check. So yeah, I think Lindsey had a point, but Stevie hit the nail on the in her response to him. And I'm glad they didn't change the song, it works just fine how it is.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I have Stevie's back on this one. I don't think Lindsey was out of place so much and was offering a suggestion. But I see Stevie's point. She does write the way she feels it and to correct tense can be offensive to a poet or songwriter.
I speak and write like this too. In 10th grade I had an English teacher who loved the way I wrote but she would knock points off my papers because I would use different tense over and over to describe a situation. I relate to Stevie on this one and NO ONE would dare to say that to Bob Dylan nor would they care.
I think Stevie was a bit overly sensitive but I see and understand her point completely.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:46 PM

She not like other people she due what she want two
Old 01-19-2017, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree, as the producer, he had a right to make a point. She had an equal right to shut him down, which she did. They moved on. I can't believe she would feel compelled to bring it up ever again.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Yeah, I realized I always thought that was Lindsey too, but maybe I am assuming some consistency there where there isn't any haha.

So you (and I before this exercise) heard it this way (which is even more bonkers):

SECOND-PERSON PRESENT - STEVIE
YOU (Lindsey) say YOU (Lindsey)'re sorry
Now YOU (Lindsey) should walk away
But it's so overwhelming,
YOU (Lindsey) have nothing left to say
YOU (Stevie) can sit outside his door and wait
Well, YOU (Stevie) can dedicate your pain to him
Regardless of the 'true' meaning of the song, this was fun trying to figure who she was singing to or at, and it was awesome to hear other's thoughts on the song. Thrown Down is my favorite song on Say You Will, and really one of my favorite FM/SN songs ever. It definitely is one of her more accessible songs in that it's clearly about their relationship, but it's not maudlin or bitter, just a nice, simple song.

Maybe we should talk about Think About It, a song Stevie wrote for Christine. Also, I think I read Stevie wrote Say You Will for or about Christine, too. Any analysis on these?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they are both at fault....her for having such a thin skin where he is concerned....and him for trying to correct her lyrics, as producer shouldn't be addressing himself to the music side of things.
Her lyrics are idiosyncratic to her and what makes her,her.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This song sounds kinda sad. Yeah I know, off topic. But seriously
Old 01-19-2017, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
.and him for trying to correct her lyrics, as producer shouldn't be addressing himself to the music side of things.
I hope you know that THAT'S what a producer does. They're not there to tell her how pretty her chiffon is.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
This song sounds kinda sad. Yeah I know, off topic. But seriously
agreed... it's like a last ditch effort to get back together.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I hope you know that THAT'S what a producer does. They're not there to tell her how pretty her chiffon is.
well he could have at least talked about the amazing spirit catcher she brought!!!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
agreed... it's like a last ditch effort to get back together.
That's a good way to word it. This was actually probably the first FM song I ever heard. It played at the end of this episode of Friends where Joey had a party for his soap opera.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
That's a good way to word it. This was actually probably the first FM song I ever heard. It played at the end of this episode of Friends where Joey had a party for his soap opera.
In my head, (and I'm not a shipper) I imagined this happened during the Dance and he asked her to get back together and she didn't answer.. and then he left and never mentioned it again..
Old 01-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
well he could have at least talked about the amazing spirit catcher she brought!!!
And that stupid talking fish. What a dolt!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In my head, (and I'm not a shipper) I imagined this happened during the Dance and he asked her to get back together and she didn't answer.. and then he left and never mentioned it again..
I'm not really a shipper either (at least not like one of the ones I think people refer to when they say shipper), though I'm not like an anti-shipper either, but I've heard about that Dance era. Interesting times that's for sure. I love the song too. People always complain about her Say You Will songs but I really like this one. Goodbye Baby too.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I'm not really a shipper either (at least not like one of the ones I think people refer to when they say shipper), though I'm not like an anti-shipper either, but I've heard about that Dance era. Interesting times that's for sure. I love the song too. People always complain about her Say You Will songs but I really like this one. Goodbye Baby too.
I didn't like SYW, Destiny, Silver Girl, Running and Goodbye Baby..

I liked Illume, Thrown Down, Everybody Finds Out, Smile At You