The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really shocked yet excited Think About Me appeared in the set list. Hope to experience it Live one day. Amazing. Glad they changed up the set list a bit but I really enjoyed the energy of IKINW on the last outing here in the states.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved Sara and Think About Me. I love the parts in Sara when Lindsey and Stevie sang together. Loved watching Lindsey mouth the song during parts he only played guitar on. Loved Chris' voice in TAM.Haven't watched BTLH yet.
Thank you for the videos, Nicole.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

October 22, 2015 6:00am Daily Telegraph, Kathy McCabe

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ent...-1227579206517

Fleetwood Mac fans cheer, laugh, cry and show love for the band on their Australian tour

IF you could harness all the energy devoted to singing Fleetwood Mac songs in loungerooms, cars and bars over the past 40 years, it would create a mighty bang.

The audience at the opening Australian concert by the legendary band at Sydney’s Allphones Arena brought an energy powered by all those moments, whether a solo karaoke of their favourite song, perhaps Go Your Own Way, or the more universally sung-to-the-rafters Don’t Stop.

Their myth is rooted in the reality of their drug-fuelled romantic entanglements and bust-ups as documented so honestly and historically on the greatest breakup album of all time Rumours.

The Fleetwood Mac on offer in 2015 is one every fan had not dared hope for over the past 16 years; the return of the classic line-up featuring Christine McVie.

This reunion appears to have a restored a natural order, and much-missed songs, to the concert life of Mac and the band’s devoted fanbase.

On this greatest hits tour, resumed after bassist John McVie’s treatment for cancer, the beloved rockers sounded perfect and clearly enjoyed embarking on this concert caper again.

Yet this isn’t a band simply running through a well-structured hits set played with the ease of familiarity and virtuosity.

There was seriously a lot of love in the room, both on and offstage, even when Lindsey Buckingham got a little creepy with his vocals on Never Going Back Again.

And it’s not only the love these five musicians have for each other, which is truly astounding when you consider how they tortured each other back on the 70s and 80s.

Where the love, and the joy and even a few tears, really happens, is in the audience.

Like the three people behind me harmonising so tunefully to the opening track The Chain, the band’s statement of intent to keep it all together for this tour, at least.

Or the enthusiastic air drummers everywhere in the crowd who played along to Tusk.

Or the big Christine fan who almost busted out of his chair space as he danced and sang along to You Make Loving Fun.

Or me who may have got something in both eyes during Sara, a song introduced to the setlist for the Australian concerts.

That’s the thing about a Fleetwood Mac concert which remains truer now than ever in those creatively and personally tense eras.

The Mac are just such a big deal to the fans, and they respect that loyalty by not messing with the memories.

Stevie Nicks twirls is her layers of black and mic stand of scarves and ribbons.

Buckingham is an engaging guitar show-off, that rare musician whose hyper emotional performance somehow remains connected to the song rather than veering too far off into an indulgent display of proficiency.

Christine just delivers that understated and warm depth she always brought to the band.

And then there’s that devilishly handsome and beguiling rhythm section of bassist John and the masterful, commanding drummer Mick Fleetwood.

The world would have been a less magical and mirthful and musical place without Fleetwood making this band all those decades ago.

What remains at the end of a night which included Tusk, Dreams, Rhiannon, Gold Dust Woman, Landslide, Big Love, Go Your Own Way, Everywhere, Little Lies and Songbird are the feeling that the songs you have always loved from one of the world’s greatest bands still sound as good as they do in your memory.

And that rarely happens.

For all Fleetwood Mac concert dates, livenation.com.au
Old 10-22-2015, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^LOL, Lindsey got a little creepy with his vocals on NGBA. What? That NEVER happens.

Michele
Old 10-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sydney Morning Herald by Bernard Zuel, October 23, 2015

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...23-gkggkb.html

Fleetwood Mac Allphones Arena, October 22
★★★
The executive summary would be accurate but also not ever enough: too long and inconsistent of energy; some good sections and a virtual Classic Hits radio playlist; another "seriously, what the ... ?" moment with a drum solo and Christine McVie. Yes folks, it's worth an exclamation mark, Christine McVie!

The return, after 16 years, of the longest songwriting contributor in the band was always going to be more than just another body to accommodate onstage and a few more songs to add to the setlist. McVie's songs, from You Make Loving Fun - appearing two songs in, between Lindsey Buckingham's The Chain and Stevie Nick's Dreams, in the democratic/pragmatic structure long necessary in this complex band - to the show's closer, Songbird, with her at piano and only Buckingham on guitar accompanying her, are not just standards.

They, and she, are also the temperamental, lyrical and melodic balancing point between the very yin and definitely yang of the band's dominant forces, Nicks and Buckingham. That fractious pair these days make a deliberate, almost ostentatious, point of acknowledging each other, even singing to each other. But the more comfortable and frequent interactions are between Nicks and McVie, and Buckingham and McVie.

As with Nicks and to a lesser extent Buckingham, McVie's voice is not what it used to be and songs never really fly the way they used to. But accommodations are made, both by an audience just happy to have them there and ready to applaud anything, and a band with up to five extra voices filling out those harmonies. (Curiously, while the three backing singers and two extra guitarists/keyboard player/vocalists were acknowledged by Mick Fleetwood in the band introductions, no mention was made of the back-up drummer/percussionist hidden behind the guitar amps.)

Warmth and general happiness – not to mention an odd but entertaining Cajun spin on Tusk and the now standard, and winning, duo version of Landslide - weren't always enough to compensate for many flat periods where tempos dragged and things felt listless. Notably, Sara, Say You Love Me, Think About Me and Gypsy were sat through rather than lived through.

But from Little Lies, a lesser McVie number which nonetheless sparked up the evening as we approached the two-hour mark, the show regained its footing and energy, if not necessarily its quality settings. The less said about Fleetwood's obligatory solo the better, though it might be worth asking if they come back again, could we instead have Nicks, solo at piano, singing Planets Of The Universe. Please?

Fleetwood Mac play Allphones Arena Saturday and Sunday and Hope Estate Winery, November 14-15. Coopers Stadium, Adelaide, October 28; Domain Stadium, Perth, October 30; Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne November 2, 4 and 6; Mt Duneed Estate, Geelong, November 7; Brisbane Entertainment Centre, November 10 and 12

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...#ixzz3pMJY9sO6
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook
Old 10-23-2015, 02:52 AM
Senior Ledgie

Concert was amazing. I could hear TAM and BTLH being played during the sound check while we waited to go into Mick's meet and greet which was an unexpected but great surprise.

The meet and greet was amazing, I don't know why but I was surprised at how genuinely friendly Mick seemed. He said that the new music will be released in some form or another, with or without a certain member and he also said that he believed the band had one more big tour left in them which he hopes would begin at the end of 2016. I asked him if there was any possibility that they would play Glastonbury to which he replied (after much waffling) 'probably not'.

Security were pretty strict. They would only allow the first row to the stage. I was row 2 and when I went to the stage I was promptly instructed to return or I'll be 'ushered out'. However I absoluteiy refused to sit down so about 4 songs in a security guy came to me and my mate and allowed us to go to the stage! The show was amazing. Christine is quite interactive, I managed to strum Lindsay's guitar and shook hands with Stevie. I think I went a litte crazy and after the concert I had numerous people come up to me to ask if I was the guy in the red t-shirt at the front dancing like a lunatic (!).

Highlights for me were GDW, little lies, Think About Me, ISA, and I had goosebumps for the entirety of Songbird.

Can't wait for Sunday night!
Old 10-23-2015, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks everyone for the reviews, and Nicole for the videos. I was able to appreciate TAM so much more with your footage. And I completely agree with what others have said about youtube video sound quality being nothing like the sound in the concert. I was pleasantly shocked with how great they sounded when I first saw them live, after watching so many videos with dreadful sound.

I'd love to hear both TAM and BTLH live, but I also happy that IKINW and SOTM were in the set list over here, as I love those too! Great to hear everyone having a good time after a long wait
Old 10-23-2015, 03:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just watched the Sara video. I didn't realise how much I was missing it in the set list - it's a beautiful, magical song. Can we have it back in the UK on the next tour please

I did notice that there's no hug at the end
Old 10-23-2015, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
I just watched the Sara video. I didn't realise how much I was missing it in the set list - it's a beautiful, magical song. Can we have it back in the UK on the next tour please

I did notice that there's no hug at the end
It's so beautiful, yeah.

See, I find it funny that people are surprised by that. They never hug at the beginning of a tour for Sara. In 2009, she'd put a hand on his shoulder and he'd lean in to her neck or just her arm. In 2013, she'd put a hand on his shoulder and they'd do this slow dance-y half-circle movement. Eventually, on both those tours, it would evolve into a full hug, with him putting both arms around her in 2009 but not 2013. There were a lot of variations.

I'm happy with this as a starting point, lol. Hopefully it'll evolve by the time of my last concert.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"

Last edited by nicole21290; 10-23-2015 at 04:21 AM..
Old 10-23-2015, 04:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post

I'm happy with this as a starting point, lol. Hopefully it'll evolve by the time of my last concert.
Oh yes, I see now. It helps that you have the expert knowledge on these matters
In that case, I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Does Christine sing on Sara? Please tell me she at least does the "ahhhhh Sara" at the end with Lindsey because they used to sing that together on the Tusk and Mirage tours.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a little sad I missed "Sara" in the states. That was the one song I absolutely wanted to hear during the U.S leg.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Nicole for the videos! I really love TAM live. Even more than I thought I would have. It works better than OMH IMO.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Does Christine sing on Sara? Please tell me she at least does the "ahhhhh Sara" at the end with Lindsey because they used to sing that together on the Tusk and Mirage tours.
We think alike because that was my first question when I raced to watch the video. I forwarded it to the end but sadly I did not see Chris sing back up on Sara
Maybe I missed something because I did not watch the entire video but only forwarded to the part where Chris is supposed to sing. She is an angel live on Sara.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Omg, thanks for all these videos! I've been having a rough week and this just made it all better!! Its been a little over a year since I saw them last so I am going through withdrawal! I sure hope they do at least 1 more tour.