The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:35 PM

I think it isn't possible to talk in absolute ways about Stevie's songs birth since she writes her songs using her journals poetry and frequently ends up putting together pieces that refers to different eras or old songs are completed with new lyrics that completely change the initial meaning like Gypsy and planets of the universe, that initially were written during Rumours or Moonlight/Lady from the mountain.
Also Sara is said to be written during a span of several years.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it'll be mostly new, but one song I KNOW she wants to record with Fleetwood Mac is "What Has Rock & Roll Ever Done For You." If that's ever going to happen, I think it needs to be on this album!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
I think it'll be mostly new, but one song I KNOW she wants to record with Fleetwood Mac is "What Has Rock & Roll Ever Done For You." If that's ever going to happen, I think it needs to be on this album!
Meh. I think it missed its time. Would have been good for Tango In The Night.
Perhaps should be kept for a 'Vault' album.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
One thing is for sure, in Lindsey's hands just about anything she does will be crafted into something great. Look at what he did with the material of hers on TITN and SYW! The production makes her stuff sparkle, and also makes it fit more or less seamlessly with the rest of the material.
Historically, Lindsey definitely has turned Stevie's songs from water to wine. However, what concerns me is Lindsey's most recently released commercial material. I'm not talking about Seeds We Sow, either- I think that album was brilliant. What I mean is Lindsey's material & production from both the EP and the This Is 40 soundtrack. Both are just riddled with middle of the road dreck. Not to mention the production of Without You is particularly ham fisted. Which is all the more disconcerting to me, because I feel that Lindsey finally found a healthy balance of experimentation and accessibility on Seeds We Sow. What happened since? Is he trying to reach out to a broader audience?

I fully agree with those who say that fretting about the sound of a new album before it's released is fruitless. However, all we can go on is recently released material. Which if we're all honest, is somewhat of a mixed bag. I'm just hoping the return of Christine ups the ante for all those involved. Christine's return should mean Lindsey can go back to being the envelope pusher, because Christine will always be the gold standard for pop excellence. And Lindsey is best for his collaborators when he's pushing for the absolute best from them- not trying to be amenable.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Historically, Lindsey definitely has turned Stevie's songs from water to wine. However, what concerns me is Lindsey's most recently released commercial material. I'm not talking about Seeds We Sow, either- I think that album was brilliant. What I mean is Lindsey's material & production from both the EP and the This Is 40 soundtrack. Both are just riddled with middle of the road dreck. Not to mention the production of Without You is particularly ham fisted. Which is all the more disconcerting to me, because I feel that Lindsey finally found a healthy balance of experimentation and accessibility on Seeds We Sow. What happened since? Is he trying to reach out to a broader audience?
I worry about this as well. Definitely hoping the chemistry of the Rumours five back together and (hopefully) working together will bring out the best songwriting, music and production.

I just hope Stevie likes and is proud of any material she brings to the table, because I hate to see her backtracking after an album is done like she had no say in making it.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What I mean is Lindsey's material & production from both the EP and the This Is 40 soundtrack. Both are just riddled with middle of the road dreck.
I love Sad Angel, but the rest of the EP wasn't anything spectacular for me. But he didn't produce his songs for This is 40, so you can't really blame him for the production. Plus, I really love Brother and Sister. I'd possibly put that on a top 10 list for him. Sick of You does get repetitive though.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Historically, Lindsey definitely has turned Stevie's songs from water to wine. However, what concerns me is Lindsey's most recently released commercial material. I'm not talking about Seeds We Sow, either- I think that album was brilliant. What I mean is Lindsey's material & production from both the EP and the This Is 40 soundtrack. Both are just riddled with middle of the road dreck.
I don't think This is 40 is at all representative of where Lindsey is creatively. He churned that out for Apatow and didn't put much thought into it at all. It was a MOR movie and that's the kind of soundtrack they wanted for it. That's why Lindsey obliged and gave them what they sought. I don't think that has anything to do with what he wants for FM or for himself.

As for the EP, I think he was trying to write something that would appeal to Stevie and make her want to sing it. I don't know that that's what he would have chosen for himself at all -- especially not with Christine back to fill the pop void that some may have felt FM had. I like Miss Fantasy and Sad Angel just fine and wouldn't be ashamed to have other songs like that from Lindsey, but certainly no more than 1 or 2.

Lindsey doesn't even like his own shallow stuff (i.e. Did You Miss Me). I hardly think that's what he is aiming for for FM.

Michele
Old 04-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think This is 40 is at all representative of where Lindsey is creatively. He churned that out for Apatow and didn't put much thought into it at all. It was a MOR movie and that's the kind of soundtrack they wanted for it. That's why Lindsey obliged and gave them what they sought. I don't think that has anything to do with what he wants for FM or for himself.

As for the EP, I think he was trying to write something that would appeal to Stevie and make her want to sing it. I don't know that that's what he would have chosen for himself at all -- especially not with Christine back to fill the pop void that some may have felt FM had. I like Miss Fantasy and Sad Angel just fine and wouldn't be ashamed to have other songs like that from Lindsey, but certainly no more than 1 or 2.

Lindsey doesn't even like his own shallow stuff (i.e. Did You Miss Me). I hardly think that's what he is aiming for for FM.

Michele
yes to this. LB didn't produce This is 40, as quick google search would tell anyone who may have been clueless.

i can't stand Did You Miss Me. i would hate it if he made more songs like that, while i loved listening to Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy - miles more interesting songs.

production on WY has nothing in common with SA and MF. i think SA and MF are Froom-Buckingham co-productions (i should do that quick google search myself, i guess ). and ITT was obviously thrown on that EP in haste, while still half-finished.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

i can't stand Did You Miss Me. i would hate it if he made more songs like that, while i loved listening to Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy - miles more interesting songs.
Yeah, IIRC you weren't too keen on Sad Angel either, until you heard it live.

Michele
Old 04-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yeah, IIRC you weren't too keen on Sad Angel either, until you heard it live.

Michele
first time i heard Sad Angel was live - i went to the first show in Columbus and that's when we all heard it for the first time.

but you are right, when i first heard it live, i thought it was LB "formula" song. i thought it was nice and rocking, but nothing out of the ordinary, true.

and yeah i do like live SA version better than the recorded one... but not as much as i love for example That's the way love goes live over recorded one (huge difference there!!).

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
I like that idea of that song being a Fleetwood Mac song!
Old 04-28-2015, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Stevie says that she still smokes pot when writing, so I'd imagine she's written TONS of new songs
And as briefly evidenced in the Say You Will documentary, she smokes in the recording studio too.

It's notable how different Stevie and Christine are in the way they approach song writing.

I'm not sure how prolific she has been in recent years, but Stevie had a long writing streak , churning out numerous demos that had no particular destination. Some went to her solo albums, some went to Fleetwood Mac, and others either stalled or laid in wait.

On the other hand, Christine writes only when she knows she has a role to fill.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Meh. I think it missed its time. Would have been good for Tango In The Night.
Perhaps should be kept for a 'Vault' album.
Totally disagree. At this stage of the game, looking back on their careers, I think this track would take on a whole new meaning. And I bet they could ROCK it!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I personally think Stevie doing "Something Exquisite" could be a real gut rocker with Lindsey's guitar solo magic...I like what he did with Running Through The Garden
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrrby View Post
I personally think Stevie doing "Something Exquisite" could be a real gut rocker with Lindsey's guitar solo magic...I like what he did with Running Through The Garden
OH MY GAWD
what an idea.
one of my top 5 all time fave demos
never in a million years would i consider it a FM song
and i LOVE RTTG
i vote THIS