Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
In one interview she said:
Wow. That's a rare moment when she self-assessed herself with a level of clarity and objectivity.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
She didn't say she hated the song; she said she wasn't in a "reconsider" state of mind at that time. She sure stays true to her emotions --if she is not feeling it, she won't sing it.
It's a great song, so she obviously felt the need to reconsidered the song decades later.

"How will you feel twenty years from now?"
OMG LOL ok you can splice it and dice it anyway you want. If she was not in the mood for the song, she did not like the song. She did not included it on RAL.

When I listen to the song, several things strike me. First you can tell it is a Jimmy song because Stevie is very disciplined with singing. Her voice is stronger than most other RAL songs and he holds her on time and on cue with lyrics and chorus. The other thing is the way she sings the song, I can pick up the vibe she does not like the song and almost feels forced to sing it. She lacks that passion Stevie can usually put into a song for the 80's Stevie.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
She said she wasn't in a "reconsider me" mood at the time because Jimmy and her were fighting. She later thanked warren and the song was released as a single
Of course 20 years later she is not going to say she hated the song to include it in a boxed set. Looking back she probably sees its not that bad. She is bring politically correct today. If you don't feel a song, you don't like it. She did not include it in RAL. That would be rude to say about someone's song especially since you recorded it and 20 years later put it in a boxed set.

I think we can mutually agree she did not like the song in 1984/1985. It would be rude to say she hated it or thought it was terrible. "Not feeling it" is saying enough. You will never hear her say she hates any song she sings.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
(Reconsider Me)Of course 20 years later she is not going to say she hated the song to include it in a boxed set.
You will never hear her say she hates any song she sings.
She told Haim never to record a song they don't like. She mentioned this song as the example. I wonder if the Haim girls know Stevie put it in her prized boxset?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNicksfann View Post
A full tracklisting for the Mirror Mirror album exists somewhere. There had been a press release made or someone leaked an officical tracklisting at the time that ultimately got revamped. I remember The Dealer was originally on the album.
Interesting- do you recall when/where the tracklisting was released? I've seen some leaks referenced in some old fanzines or Rolling Stone columns (I think there are some Mike Bise threads on the Ledge about these), but haven't seen any official tracklisting.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's always been my impression that "Mirror Mirror" was to be her third album and that the project was far enough along that it was starting to be promoted and may have had a release date...A few years ago I ran across old MTV "Music News" footage on youtube and one of the things was an announcement that Stevie's new record would not be coming out because it was being shelved and she was starting over with new songs (not an exact quote but it was something along those lines) unfortunately I have never been able to locate for footage again...

I did some digging in the old threads here and it seems our memories were a bit better 10 years ago...The post following seems to confirm that "Mirror Mirror" was abandoned at the last minute...

From the "Rock A Little" a missed opportunity thread (post #21)

"The album that eventually became "Rock a Little' was slated to be realeased in July of 1984 .She was so close to releasing it then that ads were taken out in Billboard and Rollingstone in June heralding the lp's release the following month.At the final hour the album was scrapped because Stevie felt the album did not sound right.I know that Joe Walsh had played on some of the tracks one of which surfaced as 'One More Big Time Rock and Roll Star' other tracks rumored to be on it were "Chanel Chanel' and "Battle of the Dragon'.After this stories appeared that Jiimy Iovine had been fired or quit.Later Iovine admitted he had bowed out due to Stevie's esculating cociane use,but it seemed he was called back in to doctor up some tracks toward the end of recording in 1985 .At this point in Stevie's life it would seem even Mother Theresa's patience would have been tried as her record producer.The cocaine and cognac had ceased to give and were now detracting from her art ,and of course as we all know the Klonopin that followed would be no panacea to her waning creativity.I do think TOSOTM was a better album however, her spacy vocals on it actually enhanced the 80s Euro- pop production .I think Rupert Hine had an understanding of what do do with Stevie's material .It's too bad, but not unpredictable ,that they had a falling out so vitriolic that they would never work together again"

I believe these are the Rolling Stones mentioned...Who wants to buy them and look for the "Mirror Mirror" promotions??? http://backissues.com/issue/Rolling-...4----Issue-423

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 03-31-2015 at 11:14 AM..
Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
She told Haim never to record a song they don't like. She mentioned this song as the example. I wonder if the Haim girls know Stevie put it in her prized boxset?
I thought the box set was part of an obligation to the record company…. she owed them an album. Using a track that was fully finished and release-ready gives you another track to meet the quota. And it was never released before so it adds to the appeal for fans. Very pragmatic choice.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
In one interview she said:
ha, yes I recall her saying in a tv interview somewhere that he told her that this [BD] wasn't FM and that she had been spoiled in FM, that she had been protected "like the little baby egg" in FM and that wouldn't be the case on BD. She was so clearly coked out in that interview as well. Maybe Entertainment Tonight ? I can't recall, but probably have the video somewhere in a stack of VHS tapes. One day it would be fun to go back and watch those old interviews and compare the stories of events then to how she tells them now.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I've always thought that if Rock a little was a different album (with Jimmy Iovine for example), Violet and blue would have been the best choice for the first single.
"Violet & Blue" was recorded for The Wild Heart album, actually. I agree it would have made a great single and am always puzzled that it didn't make it on that album, while the lackluster "I Will Run To You" did make it.

I'm glad it at least made it onto the "Against All Odds" soundtracks in March of '84.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

I like 'I Will Run to You' more than 'Violet and Blue', and I really do like the latter quite a bit. I do like 'Violet and Blue' more than 'Nothing Ever Changes' so maybe..

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
"Violet & Blue" was recorded for The Wild Heart album, actually. I agree it would have made a great single and am always puzzled that it didn't make it on that album, while the lackluster "I Will Run To You" did make it.

I'm glad it at least made it onto the "Against All Odds" soundtracks in March of '84.
It's true.
I've always assumed that Stevie would have intended to re-record it for Rock A Little because the album was supposed to be released not long after Against all odds and, even after she changed her plans, during the 1986 tour she frequently quoted Violet and Blue when performing I need to know.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On a somewhat related note, I wonder if the whole issue with Don't Come Around Here No More and Jimmy recording Dave Stewart's song written for Stevie with Tom made her angry enough...

And BlueDenimLamp I would love to see those articles! I will try to dig around in the Billboard magazine archives too to see if there's anything mentioned.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with everyone who's saying that these are one in the same, just an album that evolved over the years. You had Jimmy walk out around, what, 1983, early 1984? From there, she actually started work with Keith Olson, who also pulled out by Summer of '84....he had just finished the Joe Walsh album and went straight into Stevie's.....I remember the MTV News brief that quoted him as saying that if he stayed with the Stevie project, after all the craziness of Joe, it would have killed him (Supposedly Stevie wasn't too thrilled by this comment on national TV, and it put a real strain on their relationship for years).
Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
A number of artists have recorded "Reconsider Me" besides Stevie, but I gotta say....this is one of those rare cases where no one else's version comes even CLOSE to the original.....Warren's is GORGEOUS!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
Interesting- do you recall when/where the tracklisting was released? I've seen some leaks referenced in some old fanzines or Rolling Stone columns (I think there are some Mike Bise threads on the Ledge about these), but haven't seen any official tracklisting.
For ease of reference, here is one of the threads I was referencing, discussing potential tracks for inclusion on RAL:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=44774