User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
That is Danish ... must be! What do you think, Ms Moose?
"Her er de ... Peter Green!" ("Here they are ... Peter Green!")
Yes you are right dansven, the language is danish and the accent pronouncing the english name is danish too.

Ms Moose
Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, BklynBlue, Ms Moose, sharksfan2000 for interesting points, and Yes, It’s danish.

BTW, my structural parts, or nerves, don’t like these imminent dating stuff. I had problems with ”70-03-23”, still gott problems accepting it as Cue Club early nov 1969, and now you’ve made me ponder over Falconer Centret 1968-11-17, arf, arf....

/z
Old 04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks to dansven, Ms Moose, and zoork 1 for confirming that the language is indeed Danish! So it looks like the next time the band was in Denmark was late March 1969, and that could be the true date of this show if BklynBlue is correct about it not actually being from November '68.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just wanted to add my belated thanks also to those who added their linguistic expertise

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Just wanted to add my belated thanks also to those who added their linguistic expertise
Well, if there weren't a Scandinavia, there wouldn't have been a discussion over the language. Even more, Fleetwood Mac wouldnt have played there and we wouldn't have had the fantastic recordings.

So, also from me: Thanks guys, for your contributions on the matter.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
Thanks, BklynBlue, Ms Moose, sharksfan2000 for interesting points, and Yes, It’s danish.

BTW, my structural parts, or nerves, don’t like these imminent dating stuff. I had problems with ”70-03-23”, still gott problems accepting it as Cue Club early nov 1969, and now you’ve made me ponder over Falconer Centret 1968-11-17, arf, arf....

/z
Zoork 1 - I didn't figure out your "Cue Club" reference until last night, when I saw that the show on Wolfgang's Vault that had previously been listed as 3/69 in Stockholm (which was clearly the wrong date) has been changed to the Cue Club in Gotenburg on 2 November 1969.

But you're right about problems with that 11/69 date too. I must admit that I have not yet listened to the show, but just the setlist and track times make me agree with you that they've got the date wrong again. In all the band's other shows from 11/69, "Rattlesnake Shake" was under 11 minutes long (and still less than 13 minutes in San Antonio in mid-December), and I've never heard a live recording of "Underway" until January 1970 - yet this show features a "Rattlesnake Shake/Underway" combo that's over 24 minutes long, much more like how the band was playing this number in the first few months of 1970. And I have not heard a live "World In Harmony" before mid-January 1970.

So difficulty in establishing the correct date and venue of old recordings is not only a problem with bootlegs!

Last edited by sharksfan2000; 04-10-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Old 04-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Zoork 1 - I didn't figure out your "Cue Club" reference until last night, when I saw that the show on Wolfgang's Vault that had previously been listed as 3/69 in Stockholm (which was clearly the wrong date) has been changed to the Cue Club in Gotenburg on 2 November 1969.

But you're right about problems with that 11/69 date too. I must admit that I have not yet listened to the show, but just the setlist and track times make me agree with you that they've got the date wrong again. In all the band's other shows from 11/69, "Rattlesnake Shake" was under 11 minutes long (and still less than 13 minutes in San Antonio in mid-December), and I've never heard a live recording of "Underway" until January 1970 - yet this show features a "Rattlesnake Shake/Underway" combo that's over 24 minutes long, much more like how the band was playing this number in the first few months of 1970. And I have not heard a live "World In Harmony" before mid-January 1970.

So difficulty in establishing the correct date and venue of old recordings is not only a problem with bootlegs!

I think the concert in question is from early April 1970, if it's from a Scandinavian country. I've seen posts with people trying to explain this to the Vault, but they seem to think this 11/69 date is valid (at least they admitted 3/69 was completely wrong). As you state, some of those songs weren't performed until the three month U.S. tour and after. "World in Harmony" is the key clue.

Update:

I think it's one of three shows: 3/28/70 Copenhagen Denmark, 3/30/70 Odense Denmark, or 4/3/70 Helsinki Finland. 4/1/70 Stockholm is ruled out because a known recording of that exists and the set-list is not the same.

Last edited by slipkid; 04-10-2009 at 06:52 PM..
Old 04-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, the "Cue Club" tape is not Copenhagen or Helsinki, cause there's audio recordings of those shows too and the setlists do not match. But why a Scandianvian gig? Is there any Danish or Swedish spoken on the tape?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Well, the "Cue Club" tape is not Copenhagen or Helsinki, cause there's audio recordings of those shows too and the setlists do not match. But why a Scandianvian gig? Is there any Danish or Swedish spoken on the tape?

I guess it doesn't have to be a Scandinavian date. I thought about that as well, it could just as well be from Germany (Munich?), or other dates in March 1970. Here is the real question, when did Peter Green start using a Wah pedal for Rattlesnake Shake? Was it during the last U.S. tour or after? When one can establish that answer, you can narrow down the dates for this show. From the recordings I've heard, he certainly wasn't using the effect in 11/69.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
I guess it doesn't have to be a Scandinavian date. I thought about that as well, it could just as well be from Germany (Munich?), or other dates in March 1970. Here is the real question, when did Peter Green start using a Wah pedal for Rattlesnake Shake? Was it during the last U.S. tour or after? When one can establish that answer, you can narrow down the dates for this show. From the recordings I've heard, he certainly wasn't using the effect in 11/69.
Slipkid, I can give you a pretty good answer to your question. A few years ago I went through all the live recordings I had at that time of "Rattlesnake Shake": http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=14620

The first recording where Green uses a wah pedal on that number is from a show that's listed as 25 March 1970 in Vienna. There's one from a show listed as 15 March in Hanover where he is still not using it. So from the recordings I've heard, he started using the wah pedal on "Rattlesnake Shake" only in the second half of March 1970.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default wahwah pedal

If that it is so about march 70( I have no reason to doubt you Ken as you have been cataloging this stuff for some time). It is incredible the development of his expertise by the time of the chalk farm show, let alone what he sounded like at the Mayall show at the Bath Festival
or with Peter Bardens "Never Goof with a Spook"
The Wah-Wah Pedal is not as easy as it looks as always Peter never ceases to amaze.

doodyhead
Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
It is incredible the development of his expertise by the time of the chalk farm show, let alone what he sounded like at the Mayall show at the Bath Festival or with Peter Bardens "Never Goof with a Spook"
And even by 9 April on the live BBC recording of "Rattlesnake Shake/Underway".
Old 04-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Don't know if this is worth anything but in looking at the notes for the Pete Bardens "Write my name in the dust" anthology it says the "original sessions" for his "The Answer" solo album (including "...spook" etc.) "with Peter Green" were "in October 1969, though further work was carried out in June 1970".

This of course implies that Green was not involved in the June '70 part of the sessions and it sure sounds like he's using the wah pedal on thspook et al so maybe he started using the wah sooner in the studio than he did live?

Seems odd but who knows...

John
Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hm, possibly he overdubbed his wah wah guitar in June 1970?
Green's playing is great, but it's possible to imagine these songs as basic tracks without his guitar. The Brunning sunflower sessions, also from October 1969, has no wah wah at all. What would be Peter's first documented studio use of wah wah if we discount the Bardens sessions for a moment?
Old 04-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Hm, possibly he overdubbed his wah wah guitar in June 1970?
Green's playing is great, but it's possible to imagine these songs as basic tracks without his guitar. The Brunning sunflower sessions, also from October 1969, has no wah wah at all. What would be Peter's first documented studio use of wah wah if we discount the Bardens sessions for a moment?
Yeah it'll be interesting to see what the others say.

Just as an aside, the Bardens anthology notes don't say Green was there specifically in Oct '69 as I thought (sorry for the goof) but the Celmins PG "sessionography" listed in chronological order on the bio only list Green for Oct '69 for the Bardens session.

John