Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-17-2024, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Chain….its a shame

Listening today on headphones as I was cutting the grass several of the tracks that eventually became “The Chain “ came on randomly . It was Christine’s and Stevie’s contributions. Lindsey took them added his piece of music and created “The Chain”. It made me think it’s shame we didn’t get anything else like that from the three of the songwriters. We did from Buckingham and McVie over the years but not with Stevie. Lindsey just used her demos and crafted them into a track. My point is its a shame he never took a piece of her music he liked of hers and pieced it into work of his and Christine’s to create even a better song.I know why it didn’t happen it’s just a shame. “The Chain” is a masterpiece. (Music & Lyrics)
Old 05-17-2024, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

According to Stevie the only lyric contribution Lindsey had to The Chain was "listen to the wind blow" All other lyrics were hers. The jam part was mostly John and Mick's and Lindsey joined in. The beginning was Lindsey too. I never heard what Chris's contribution was or they included her so she would not be left out.
The song is good and songs that are patched together from all sources are sensational when they work well.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
According to Stevie the only lyric contribution Lindsey had to The Chain was "listen to the wind blow" All other lyrics were hers. The jam part was mostly John and Mick's and Lindsey joined in. The beginning was Lindsey too. I never heard what Chris's contribution was or they included her so she would not be left out.
The song is good and songs that are patched together from all sources are sensational when they work well.

If you listen to all the Rumours outtakes you will get more of the sense of the origin . Lindsey crafted the song. Christine should have been credited for much of the music with Mick and John. Stevie had a great chorus. All IMO.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:53 PM

^^^ Exactly, if you listen to the Rumours outakes. The 5 million of them. You can hear Christine has nearly the majority of the structure written in Keep Me There and there's another track that she has The Chain in there.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
^^^ Exactly, if you listen to the Rumours outakes. The 5 million of them. You can hear Christine has nearly the majority of the structure written in Keep Me There and there's another track that she has The Chain in there.
Thank you! ….and my point of this post was i wish we had more of this!
Old 05-17-2024, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never heard what Chris's contribution was or they included her so she would not be left out.
The music was originally from “Keep Me There.”

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-17-2024, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yes I am familiar with the song and the Chain parts. I was referring to the original origins of those parts that preceded both songs. Was it not Mick and Stevie that said it was John and Mick and Lindsey's warm up jam on stage that they thought was so good they desperately wanted to insert in a song somewhere. Was not the Chain intro an original Lindsey piece too? Was there not a Buck/Nicks demo of something that was almost identical of the Chain up to the bass and jam part?
Maybe my memory is wrong on that. I was just watching an old interview with Stevie where she almost took the entire credit for the song in the lyrics department. I've heard her say another time that the band just had the bass and jam part and they lifted everything else from her song. But we know Stevie can exaggerate.
Maybe it really was her that taught John that bass part.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-17-2024 at 08:39 PM..
Old 05-17-2024, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes I am familiar with the song and the Chain parts. I was referring to the original origins of those parts that preceded both songs. Was it not Mick and Stevie that said it was John and Mick and Lindsey's warm up jam on stage that they thought was so good they desperately wanted to insert in a song somewhere. Was not the Chain intro an original Lindsey piece too? Was there not a Buck/Nicks demo of something that was almost identical of the Chain up to the bass and jam part?
Maybe my memory is wrong on that. I was just watching an old interview with Stevie where she almost took the entire credit for the song in the lyrics department. I've heard her say another time that the band just had the bass and jam part and they lifted everything else from her song. But we know Stevie can exaggerate.
The MLJ warmup jam became the intro and verses while Keep Me There became the chorus and ending. Stevie did the lion’s share of the lyrics and John obviously came up with the bass solo.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old Yesterday, 03:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Was the warm up music not Tusk? Or is that a separate thing?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Was the warm up music not Tusk? Or is that a separate thing?
I think its in Mick's book (gosh do I dare say that). Tusk was a warm up. I think the Chain part was just a random jam on stage. Or maybe The Chain jam was the warm up too. I seem to remember Mick saying everyone loved John's bass part and Lindsey's jam. It was not a song (yet). They wanted to make it work in some song and it worked out perfectly in The Chain. But then again everything worked out perfectly for Rumours.
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yes, at 2:44 (Keep Me There with vocals from Rumours: More From The Recording Sessions [Disc 3]), but when her lyrics have a different music.

And the "If you don't love me now..." is in Stevie's demo include in the same disc.

I think The Chain is a complete puzzle, a well done and great puzzle.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Yes, at 2:44 (Keep Me There with vocals from Rumours: More From The Recording Sessions [Disc 3]), but when her lyrics have a different music.

And the "If you don't love me now..." is in Stevie's demo include in the same disc.

I think The Chain is a complete puzzle, a well done and great puzzle.
It sort of is a puzzle especially with everyone contributing their parts. I love when great songs have multiple inspirations or the conflict in the band causes something unexpected and good. For example when REO Speedwagon was practicing Keep On Loving You, the guitarist was having none of it. He did not want the band to do ballads and wanted to rock out. As the band was playing in the studio he kept trying to interrupt the song with heavy guitar chords. The lead singer heard these interruptions and thought they added something to the song. Instead of a piano ballad you get these (muted) heavy guitar chords that just takes the song to an entirely different level. Next time you listen to the song you can hear how heavy those guitar riffs were but just toned down for the recording.
Edge of 17 is one of Stevie's best written songs IMHO. Its inspired by completely unrelated topics: her grandfather's death, John Lennon getting killed, and some bird from Arizona. Add them all together and you get one of the best poetry laced rockers ever at the same time ripping off the Police
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Stevie's lyrics are the chorus. All kudos accordingly.

Pretty certain that Lindsey's lyrics are the verses (not just the first line).
When Stevie says "Lindsey wrote Listen to the wind blow" I'm sure she means those parts of the song, not that line.

Listen to the wind blow
Watch the sun rise
Run in the shadows
Damn your love, damn your lies

Classic Lindsey.

It's possible the second verse lyrics were a collab, with Stevie riffing off what Lindsey presented for the first verse.

Before Lindsey came up with the first verse, didn't Stevie come up with a rather dreadful lyric first?
Write me a love song
Take away the sadness
That you gave me

Where is the demo with that version? I can't find it anymore.

My guess is that the intro music was hewn from the same stone as Lola.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love The Chain and yes it’s a masterpiece. Now, at the Classic Albums – Making of Rumours video, Christine told about John’s part and also Stevie told they (I understand John and Lindsey) had the middle part of The Chain, where the solo starts to the end of the song, “but they didn’t have a song”.

However John’s bass and Lindsey’s guitar are in Keep Me There (Rumours: More From The Recording Sessions [Disc 3]). So I don’t get why the girls said the boys had some segments but didn’t have a song.