Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Where can I purchase the crystal ball that some people appear to have?
YES! I agree with penquinhead
Old 02-11-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnFan4Ever View Post
If you don't like Stevie, you have a right to your opinion but before Stevie and Lindsey joined, Fleetwood Mac had very limited success--which Mick Fleetwood himself said in his book. With Stevie and Lindsey, the band rose to success because the five of them together created wonderful music.

Just because you don't like someone, you don't need to belittle their achievements. And, really, how many people can sustain career success for 40+ years. Do all of you think that you're going to be functioning at your peak levels when you're 66 or 70?
Christine McVie is 71 and she sure inspires me to be as healthy as I can, at that age.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If you don't like Stevie, you have a right to your opinion but before Stevie and Lindsey joined, Fleetwood Mac had very limited success--which Mick Fleetwood himself said in his book. With Stevie and Lindsey, the band rose to success because the five of them together created wonderful music.

Just because you don't like someone, you don't need to belittle their achievements. And, really, how many people can sustain career success for 40+ years. Do all of you think that you're going to be functioning at your peak levels when you're 66 or 70?
Surely not, as is the case with Stevie. You seem to forget that starting in the mid 80s she basically became a has-been, a laughing stock really. I still cringe when I remember the comments people were making about Stevie when FM played at the Clinton inaugural. She remained a laughing stock until The Dance, and then her star rose again. I'm glad it did, but unfortunately it seems to have risen just high enough to make her insufferable.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's 2 reasons I wish Stevie would end her commitment with Fleetwood Mac.

1. To end this incessant bashing she receives here.

2. So she can resume what's left of her career as a solo artist.

However, I highly doubt this will happen. If she did leave after this, a lot of fans and casual fans would view her as a selfish b*tch, like WTH is her problem? Who does she think she is? How dare she leave?!
Although I don't know her personally, I think that is likely the main reason she stays.
I believe she is happy Christine is back, but clearly there are still tensions between band members and not in a good/creative way. From what I'm observing from her, it's more of a 'I'm sick of this sh*t' way.

I have seen her enough times to tell a distinct difference in her energy/attitude when she performs with FM versus her solo performances. Good or bad, she seems to be a person that's highly affected by her emotions. So if there's negativity floating around between her and other member(s), it unfortunately affects her performance. She still sings well and does her thing, but it's mostly just like a job she's doing.

I myself have mixed feelings about feeling sorry for her. I mean, boo-hoo, I'm a big rock star making tons of money and now I'm stuck in this huge band. But on the other side of it I do feel sorry for her just because it sucks when you're not happy - no matter what the reason.

It's unfortunate, because I am pretty positive she'd be much happier if she were resuming her solo career.

Jamie
Old 02-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
If you don't like or respect pre-1975 Fleetwood Mac, you have a right to your opinion but before Stevie and Lindsey joined, Fleetwood Mac had already released over ten albums, including a Greatest Hits album, had had four top ten singles (one rereleased five years after its first run and hitting #2), had been all over the music press in 1974 (any press is good press), had a record deal, had a significant following, and had been on American national television twice.

They also made wonderful music with Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan, and Bob Welch. Maybe it didn't rise to the same level of success, but it was still wonderful.

You mean like you did with the pre-1975 Fleetwood Mac?

I'm still trying to understand how people can think that the massive success of Rumours was a GOOD THING. It killed the band, for all intents. Yeah, they still kept making music & writing songs, but what are they locked into playing in concert for the next 40 years?? There's no expectation of anything ELSE from them by their general audience (except us painfully & pained few). Even in their solo shows (mainly speaking of Lindsey & Stevie), they are EXPECTED to play their Rumours songs...and because they "do as they're told", they acquiesce. Had they had the balls to tell their audience "THIS is what we're doing NOW" and actually PLAYED the material that they constantly were telling the press "it's the best stuff we've ever done", then maybe they might've been given some credit for being creative bastions of rock. But, they're not. They're a nostalgia act...and not even for their music...for the Rumours soap opera. Their whole post-1978 careers have been based on Shippers' fantasies.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I'm still trying to understand how people can think that the massive success of Rumours was a GOOD THING. It killed the band, for all intents. Yeah, they still kept making music & writing songs, but what are they locked into playing in concert for the next 40 years?? There's no expectation of anything ELSE from them by their general audience (except us painfully & pained few). Even in their solo shows (mainly speaking of Lindsey & Stevie), they are EXPECTED to play their Rumours songs...and because they "do as they're told", they acquiesce. Had they had the balls to tell their audience "THIS is what we're doing NOW" and actually PLAYED the material that they constantly were telling the press "it's the best stuff we've ever done", then maybe they might've been given some credit for being creative bastions of rock. But, they're not. They're a nostalgia act...and not even for their music...for the Rumours soap opera. Their whole post-1978 careers have been based on Shippers' fantasies.

yep. I remember reading an interview where Stevie mentioned being practically booed off the stage when they first introduced songs from their upcoming Rumours album to a live audience. It seems that ever since then this band has been spooked from that experience or experiences like that. You're right, they don't have the balls to do otherwise. And that's a shame.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac had very limited success--which Mick Fleetwood himself said in his book. With Stevie and Lindsey, the band rose to success because the five of them together created wonderful music.
I think this was actually, partially, the band's fault, as they chose to push Reprise harder in '75, got Over My Head remixed for radio, etc. Why they didn't do this before, we'll never know, but just to think how easy it could've been for them to do this before. I guess they deserve a semi-pass in the sense that they were dealing with the fake Mac thing and maybe they didn't have it in them to put effort in to this at that time (though it could be argued "why bother" if they busted their humps to get their name back then not do this) but anyway, I really do wonder how well (or let's say "differently") the '75 album would've done compared to the previous few had they not made the effort they did with OMH? I know they like to blow over this in some of the docs (i.e. "by the time Rhiannon was a hit") but since OMH is what nudged the public to take interest in a follow up single to a top 20 hit single... Can we honestly say it still would've been as big a seller as it was compared to the last few?

John
Old 02-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
It's unfortunate, because I am pretty positive she'd be much happier if she were resuming her solo career.

Jamie
I'm not so sure that would really be a valid option for her anymore. Her most recent solo outings show her status as a concert draw has greatly waned. She has only been able to half fill amphitheaters in recent years. Her latest solo albums have had top 10 debuts, but have sharply fallen off the charts after their debut week and failed to even make Gold status. She hasn't gotten radio or TV airplay for new songs since the Say You Will era.

Point being, Stevie can't really continue being a solo artist in the fashion she's used to. Could her ego handle having to perform in smaller venues & theaters? Would she be willing to ditch the private tour jet? She's getting to the point where her lavish touring and recording expenses can no longer be justified by her handlers.

Sure, she's financially stable enough to walk away from FM and live out the rest of her days in sublime comfort. But her solo career does not offer her the trappings FM does: sold out arena tours, massive media attention, and unfettered rock star perks. More than any FM member, this sort of stuff matters to Stevie.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I'm not so sure that would really be a valid option for her anymore. Her most recent solo outings show her status as a concert draw has greatly waned. She has only been able to half fill amphitheaters in recent years. Her latest solo albums have had top 10 debuts, but have sharply fallen off the charts after their debut week and failed to even make Gold status. She hasn't gotten radio or TV airplay for new songs since the Say You Will era.

Point being, Stevie can't really continue being a solo artist in the fashion she's used to. Could her ego handle having to perform in smaller venues & theaters? Would she be willing to ditch the private tour jet? She's getting to the point where her lavish touring and recording expenses can no longer be justified by her handlers.

Sure, she's financially stable enough to walk away from FM and live out the rest of her days in sublime comfort. But her solo career does not offer her the trappings FM does: sold out arena tours, massive media attention, and unfettered rock star perks. More than any FM member, this sort of stuff matters to Stevie.
Good point. She does seem to love the lavish life and attention she gets that touring with FM provides. But I think we would both agree that it's a double-edged sword for her. Like you said, if she were to go back to her solo career, that would mean smaller venues and lack of personal aircraft, among other things. She would obviously have to weigh the pros and cons of this, but I would guess that if given the choice, she'd probably still opt for the solo career. I've seen her several times at smaller venues and I've never seen her happier on stage than she is at those shows.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I don't after reading this. I've never heard her sound so negative about Lindsey. What happened to the "talk" and all that crap? She setting it up so she's not the bad girl.

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/the-w...-stevie-nicks/
Nothing to see here, it's just the old "not doing it" 'til the cows come home then will agree to get people to think it's more of a big deal she's doing it than it is in the hopes of drawing more people into the "unthinkable". She'll be there.

John
Old 02-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

However, I highly doubt this will happen. If she did leave after this, a lot of fans and casual fans would view her as a selfish b*tch, like WTH is her problem? Who does she think she is? How dare she leave?!
Although I don't know her personally, I think that is likely the main reason she stays.
I believe she is happy Christine is back, but clearly there are still tensions between band members and not in a good/creative way. From what I'm observing from her, it's more of a 'I'm sick of this sh*t' way.

I have seen her enough times to tell a distinct difference in her energy/attitude when she performs with FM versus her solo performances. Good or bad, she seems to be a person that's highly affected by her emotions. So if there's negativity floating around between her and other member(s), it unfortunately affects her performance. She still sings well and does her thing, but it's mostly just like a job she's doing.

I myself have mixed feelings about feeling sorry for her. I mean, boo-hoo, I'm a big rock star making tons of money and now I'm stuck in this huge band. But on the other side of it I do feel sorry for her just because it sucks when you're not happy - no matter what the reason.

Jamie
^^^^^^^^
100% agree! It's like beating a dead horse, over and over and over.....
Old 02-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Good point. She does seem to love the lavish life and attention she gets that touring with FM provides. But I think we would both agree that it's a double-edged sword for her. Like you said, if she were to go back to her solo career, that would mean smaller venues and lack of personal aircraft, among other things. She would obviously have to weigh the pros and cons of this, but I would guess that if given the choice, she'd probably still opt for the solo career. I've seen her several times at smaller venues and I've never seen her happier on stage than she is at those shows.
Same here with when I saw her at South By Southwest promoting the In Your Dreams and Sound City projects. She seemed genuinely happy and utterly relaxed- two emotions she never seems to exhibit concurrently within the confines of Fleetwood Mac. I think such intimate venues and projects do make Stevie happy as a reprieve from the politics and emotional stress FM carries. However, would she be totally fine with permanently walking away from all of the glamor that goes along with Fleetwood Mac? I think she'd initially breathe a sigh of relief, but get restless after a few years. Like she says, she's a Gemini- she's gotta have both sides of every coin to be content.

So wrapping all of this around to the initial question at hand- will Stevie record this final Mac album? Of course! She wouldn't miss it for the world. Will it be an immediate thing? I wouldn't count on it. Stevie will most likely insist on a break from the band when this tour finally wraps. I wouldn't want to speculate on a date an album would emerge, but I wouldn't expect it before later in 2016. She will want some time off after 3 consecutive years touring with FM. Then she'll likely want to do some sort of promotion for 24k Gold- maybe some small theater shows in hand picked cities? Next she'll want to take some time to get the prose & poetry into song form that she most certainly wrote during the past few years with FM. Then she'll want to put those songs into demo form so she can have something to bring into FM.

So my point with all of this being- maybe she really is putting the brakes on committing herself to the FM album for legit reasons- she realizes it will probably be the last FM studio album, and wants to bring fresh, relevant material to the table. And to accomplish that, she doesn't want to commit to what she feels are arbitrary time tables.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Jamie

I agree.She will be happier working on her solo career.

I know everyone has a right to comment what she should do but its getting old,stale and sour and freaking tiring when these threads keep popping up about this topic.

I LOL when I see these posts about the band should fire her.
She probably would be pissed like anybody that gets fired from a job but she can march on with her solo works .

If Chris have not return.This current tour more likely wont be happening.

I can understand what the pressure is.Its like going back to the warehouse job I had and dealing with the idiots I've dealt with for the past 10 plus years.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 02-12-2015, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Looking back, my post came off really aggressive. So I'll mention this; I love Stevie and Lindsey both. I'm 27, my mother introduced me to the Mac when The Dance aired on MTV. I immediately went out and bought every album of the Mac, Lindsey, Christine and Stevie I could find. I took a day off from school just to be first in line when Trouble In Shangri-La came out, my first ever concert was when they played Raleigh in 2004 for the SYW tour and I was so awestruck I saw Stevie again in Charlotte in 2005. This high school bullsh*t behavior has got to stop. I just wish they'd all make one more album, a final tour and just call it a damn day so they can end things gracefully and not go out embarrassingly kicking and screaming like a bunch of cranky, unpleasant elderly folk.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
Looking back, my post came off really aggressive. So I'll mention this; I love Stevie and Lindsey both. I'm 27, my mother introduced me to the Mac when The Dance aired on MTV. I immediately went out and bought every album of the Mac, Lindsey, Christine and Stevie I could find.
You would've been what, 9 or 10? That's a bit young to go on a spending spree like that. Where'd you get all that money?