Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2018-2019 Tour

I'm late to the party because I had health issues in 2018 and was upset about the firing of Lindsey. So I didn't go to see them on this tour. I really didn't even follow what was happening, until now. I've been watching tons of YouTube videos and checking out setlistfm.

I really think adding the older material was a pretty good idea. I love Hypnotized and All the things you do. It's a shame they dropped Storms and Hypnotized early into the tour. I can understand Storms being replaced by Gypsy, but what a shame they didn't stick with Hypnotized. It sounded pretty good. I wonder how those songs would have sounded with Lindsey had he toured with FM. Too me, I don't think it would have worked as well. Those are songs that were played years earlier because Lindsey and Stevie had just joined and there wasn't a lot of new material.

What really gets me though is the amount of changing they did on the setlist thru the year long tour.

Storms and Hypnotized gone after a few weeks. Gyspsy replaced Storms. A few week later they dropped I Got You and then added it back in in 2019. They ended up dropping Isn't it Midnight and adding Hold Me in late 2018. And then they dropped Tell Me All The Things You Do and All Over Again.

For the European part of the tour they added Blue Letter to a couple of shows which was a weird choice and dropped Monday Morning. Then added Man of the World. I just wonder what was going on in their heads. Did they think songs weren't working? They seemed to be floundering a bit. I had also read or heard that Stevie and Mike had a few issues and you could tell Chris's voice was having some trouble. Someone on Ivory Keys said Stevie didn't look happy to her. I think John was probably planning on this being his last tour. Maybe as they got into the tour, they realized what a mistake it was to let Lindsey go. Chris did say in an interview that she thought deep down Stevie was sorry for what happened. But who knows for sure on that one. And Irving Azoff said this was their highest grossing tour. But I don't know if I believe that one. What are some of your thoughts on this? Anyone see this tour?

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 04-10-2024, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I'm late to the party because I had health issues in 2018 and was upset about the firing of Lindsey. So I didn't go to see them on this tour. I really didn't even follow what was happening, until now. I've been watching tons of YouTube videos and checking out setlistfm.

I really think adding the older material was a pretty good idea. I love Hypnotized and All the things you do. It's a shame they dropped Storms and Hypnotized early into the tour. I can understand Storms being replaced by Gypsy, but what a shame they didn't stick with Hypnotized. It sounded pretty good. I wonder how those songs would have sounded with Lindsey had he toured with FM. Too me, I don't think it would have worked as well. Those are songs that were played years earlier because Lindsey and Stevie had just joined and there wasn't a lot of new material.

What really gets me though is the amount of changing they did on the setlist thru the year long tour.

Storms and Hypnotized gone after a few weeks. Gyspsy replaced Storms. A few week later they dropped I Got You and then added it back in in 2019. They ended up dropping Isn't it Midnight and adding Hold Me in late 2018. And then they dropped Tell Me All The Things You Do and All Over Again.

For the European part of the tour they added Blue Letter to a couple of shows which was a weird choice and dropped Monday Morning. Then added Man of the World. I just wonder what was going on in their heads. Did they think songs weren't working? They seemed to be floundering a bit. I had also read or heard that Stevie and Mike had a few issues and you could tell Chris's voice was having some trouble. Someone on Ivory Keys said Stevie didn't look happy to her. I think John was probably planning on this being his last tour. Maybe as they got into the tour, they realized what a mistake it was to let Lindsey go. Chris did say in an interview that she thought deep down Stevie was sorry for what happened. But who knows for sure on that one. And Irving Azoff said this was their highest grossing tour. But I don't know if I believe that one. What are some of your thoughts on this? Anyone see this tour?
I think the whole tour suffered from trying to do too many things. Blues material, Tom Petty tributes, Crowded House material, Split Enz material, deep album cuts, plus all the hits.

They started off with odd transitions i.e. Black Magic Woman > Everywhere > I Got You > Rhiannon > Tell Me All the Things You Do

FM...or at least certain members of FM have always been super sensitive about the crowd reaction (or lack there of) when performing lesser known material. In response to this they started to swap songs out. It may have helped a little bit, but I still think they never resolved the jack of all trades setlist issue they had.

I think the 1987 lineup did a much better job at introducing the new members, giving them material that showcases their talents, while also keeping enough familiar things in the setlist to maintain the feel of a Fleetwood Mac concert.

IMO 2018 set had too many twists and turns in combination with just trying to do too much in a 2 hour set. In 2013 they grouped together all of the Tusk material they were going to do and even mentioned it to the crowd that the next couple of songs were going to be from Tusk. I think the same thing would have been a good move for the blues material, instead of sprinkling it throughout the set in addition to all of the other things they were sprinkling in.

Last edited by BigAl84; 04-10-2024 at 11:48 AM..
Old 04-10-2024, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with you on putting all the old stuff together for a "mini" deep set. I think what made 1987-1990 work for me anyway, was that I wasn't as familiar with Billy and Rick. So they blended in for me. I definitely know Neil and Mike and their work. I have seen Tom and the Heartbreakers several times.

And of course we were never going to get any new material from these people. Except for the one song Neil did with Chris and Stevie singing background vocals.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I think the 1987 lineup did a much better job at introducing the new members, giving them material that showcases their talents, while also keeping enough familiar things in the setlist to maintain the feel of a Fleetwood Mac concert.
Steve Denison used to say that the transition in 1987 from I Loved Another Woman into Brown Eyes without a break was inspired. And I think Rattlesnake Shake was in close proximity to Seven Wonders, which always worked great. Some songs just sound great next to each other.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-11-2024, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Steve Denison used to say that the transition in 1987 from I Loved Another Woman into Brown Eyes without a break was inspired. And I think Rattlesnake Shake was in close proximity to Seven Wonders, which always worked great. Some songs just sound great next to each other.
Absolutely! I think that's why things got weirder in 2018 as they started swapping songs out later in the tour. They had an initial setlist that they must have felt good about for specific reasons and then started breaking up that initial flow with songs that had an entirely different feel.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they should have kept Sisters of the Moon in the setlist from 2015 instead of Storms. I think it would have worked better. But this tour was so wrong and crazy on so many levels. Yea, they did well and made money, but it wasn't our Fleetwood Mac.

Old 04-11-2024, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yea, they did well and made money, but it wasn't our Fleetwood Mac.
I have not even seen any videos on YouTube of the 2018-19 tour, because my feeling was exactly what you said. The fact they included Don't dream is over and Free fallin (songs I love) made me feel that was more like a festival concert that a band tour. Yes Blue Letter and Farmer's Daughter are covers but at least they appeared in Mac albums. DDIO and FF are too well known as Crowded House and Tom Petty's.

But most of all, watching videos of that tour, I'm sure I'd be sad about how Fleetwood Mac ended. That's why I avoid them.

PS: Shouldn't this thread be in Present Band? Even though it is not present anymore.

Last edited by Villavic; 04-11-2024 at 12:50 PM..
Old 04-11-2024, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought since it was post Lindsey it belonged in this forum. But wherever everyone thinks is fine by me. I just looked at the forums. You are correct.

Last edited by sleepless child; 04-11-2024 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Found answer
Old 04-11-2024, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Regarding Azoff saying this was their highest grossing tour... I would be amazed if the 2018 World Tour grossed more than On With The Show. Ticket prices for the 2018 Tour were much more expensive. I did four 2018-2019 shows and all of them were packed.

So I am a Stevie fan. I get that they did pre-75 material to celebrate every lineup of FM however I think it only would have been fair that they did Behind The Mask and Say You Will songs too.

The concert itself felt exactly like a 2003-2017 Fleetwood Mac show. Crickets, Stevie's moves, the first five songs felt like the OWTS Tour but for Black Magic Woman being in there I think, Neil getting on the drum riser for GYOW, and other moments.

I think the reasons for songs being dropped was 1) everyone but Neil was in their 70s (Mike was 69) so they needed to shorten the show 2) Stevie looked in the audience and saw people not looking enthused during certain songs 3) and this is for fun: John McVie actually said during a soundcheck he hated playing Tell Me and asked for it to be dropped

I can't say that Stevie didn't look happy. She really only "let loose" during Gold Dust Woman. I think she had a lot more ump in her performance on the 2013 Tour and the GDWs on the OWTS were where she really got down with her dance moves. I felt like on the 2018 Tour Stevie really only opened up for Free Fallin'.

I've said before I think Stevie's song selection was the biggest disappointment of that 2018 Tour. Chris' was money. Stevie's was like Lindsey's song selection on the US and Euro legs of the OWTS Tour: He only did songs he did on recent tours. Storms was no surprise for me as it was done every show of the Unleashed Tour. Straight Back would have been mind-blowing.

I'm glad I went just to see them. But I did not feel satisfied. It was mostly songs I've heard dozens of times before.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Regarding Azoff saying this was their highest grossing tour... I would be amazed if the 2018 World Tour grossed more than On With The Show. Ticket prices for the 2018 Tour were much more expensive. I did four 2018-2019 shows and all of them were packed.

So I am a Stevie fan. I get that they did pre-75 material to celebrate every lineup of FM however I think it only would have been fair that they did Behind The Mask and Say You Will songs too.

The concert itself felt exactly like a 2003-2017 Fleetwood Mac show. Crickets, Stevie's moves, the first five songs felt like the OWTS Tour but for Black Magic Woman being in there I think, Neil getting on the drum riser for GYOW, and other moments.

I think the reasons for songs being dropped was 1) everyone but Neil was in their 70s (Mike was 69) so they needed to shorten the show 2) Stevie looked in the audience and saw people not looking enthused during certain songs 3) and this is for fun: John McVie actually said during a soundcheck he hated playing Tell Me and asked for it to be dropped

I can't say that Stevie didn't look happy. She really only "let loose" during Gold Dust Woman. I think she had a lot more ump in her performance on the 2013 Tour and the GDWs on the OWTS were where she really got down with her dance moves. I felt like on the 2018 Tour Stevie really only opened up for Free Fallin'.

I've said before I think Stevie's song selection was the biggest disappointment of that 2018 Tour. Chris' was money. Stevie's was like Lindsey's song selection on the US and Euro legs of the OWTS Tour: He only did songs he did on recent tours. Storms was no surprise for me as it was done every show of the Unleashed Tour. Straight Back would have been mind-blowing.

I'm glad I went just to see them. But I did not feel satisfied. It was mostly songs I've heard dozens of times before.
That's a hell of a lot of SPECULATION.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:

Clearly those casual fans were not into those older songs and did not know them. Like you, I applauded them for letting the new guy sing Hypnotized instead of one of Lindsey's songs. The band must have gotten the deer caught in the headlights look from the audience and dropped them for better known songs. Like you I never attended this tour either and if I went I would have went to see those song they cut.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Clearly those casual fans were not into those older songs and did not know them. Like you, I applauded them for letting the new guy sing Hypnotized instead of one of Lindsey's songs. The band must have gotten the deer caught in the headlights look from the audience and dropped them for better known songs. Like you I never attended this tour either and if I went I would have went to see those song they cut.
It's bizarre to me because I hear Hypnotized a lot of Classic Rock Radio and in Chicago 2018, I didn't notice people looking bored with the song!
Old 04-16-2024, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved “Hypnotized” and glad I got to see it once. That said, I would have put SHN towards the end of the set and followed “Dreams” with “Sentimental Lady.”

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-17-2024, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I loved “Hypnotized” and glad I got to see it once. That said, I would have put SHN towards the end of the set and followed “Dreams” with “Sentimental Lady.”
From the videos I saw, Hypnotized would have been a highlight of the show for me. The song suits Neil's voice completely. It sounded much better than him trying to sing Second Hand News or Go Your Own Way.