The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Out Of The Cradle birthday, so close...

Hi there! We’re near to another anniversary of the release of Out Of The Cradle, first studio album of Lindsey after his departure from Fleetwood Mac, and I want to make a thread with my own opinion about my favourite Lindsey's album (then Go Insane, I think...). And, obviously, I invite you to discuss what do you think...
I can start telling you that I found this album by casual circunstances, watching first the video of Countdown on utube. Then I heard the rest of the songs, and wow, they’re wonderful!

01. & 02. Instrumental Introduction - Don't look down: The song is good, I love the number of guitars he included here! But I don't know why Lindsey appears with his tour band, when originally he played all the instruments on the album...Nice start!

03. & 04. Wrong and Countdown: I count them together, because they were The Hits of the album. Videos of both songs are excellent (Wrong is funny), rythms and lyrics. Amazing solos!!!! I don't mind if Wrong is dedicated to Mick...I only listen to the song!

05. All my sorrows: Is good and, maybe easy to play. It hasn't great changes, only Lindsey's voices, two or three guitars, percussion, bass. So harmonic, so quiet.

06. Soul Drifter: Maybe one of the highest points. I love sing it and play the solo. The lyrics are so beautiful, and the video too! It's a very sweet song...

07. & 08. Instrumental Introduction - This is the Time: I think Come from SYW has a little (little) bit of this song. Quiet start, rock middle, and then a quiet end. But, TITT ends with a solo. The live performances are wonderful, nice to see more guitarists playing. Rock, man!!

09. You do or you don't: What Lindsey made before Bleed To Love Her. I love both songs, and I knew BTLH first, but my surprise was when I heard the BTLH part. I couldn't believe! Maybe many of you too...

10. Street of Dreams: Like All my sorrows, no great changes, a very sad song, but the end solo is wonderful, with the sound of the rain behind and the volume increasing...

11. & 12. Spoken Introduction - Surrender the Rain: I don’t know why Lindsey used the Spoken Introduction to another song when he performed live. Surrender the Rain is another big, big song, and if you listen to the keyboard in the chorus, you may find it similar to You & I part II, where’s a similar keyboard. Nothing else. Is just what I think, I know I’m maybe wrong...But definitely, it's one of my favourites! I really love it.

13. Doing what I can: Like Miranda, with Big Love similar guitar parts...And I can imagine it with a “modern” style! Like a dance song...

14. Turn it on: It sounds like a dance song too!!

15. & 16. This nearly was mine – Say We’ll Meet Again: As you can see, I put them together. Just because I think the first is the introduction of the second. If you hear them with attention, maybe you could find me the reason! Say We’ll Meet Again is the sweetest Lindsey’s song, I don’t know if it’s the best of the album, but is a wonderful slow song, and This nearly was mine is a good intro for it. It’s my favourite, and a beautiful end.

Well, as you can see, I wrote about every song. Maybe not a big article about everyone, but simply my opinion. When I listen to this album, my imagination flies and grows, thinking about a video for every song, and nothing but rock & calm, new versions, love stories (of mine...), etc.
Lindsey worked so hard on this album, and definitely he was out of the cradle when he started to work with. And I know as I could see, that is the favourite of many of you.
So, I have some questions...

- Do you think Out Of The Cradle had 80s influences? You know, starting with the Lindsey's work for Tango In The Night. Maybe he took something...
- And, knowing that Lindsey was working from the middle of the 90s on his next works, Under The Skin and Gift of Screws, and Say You Will, do you think these albums had influences of OOTC?
- Could be This Nearly Was Mine an intro for Say We’ll Meet Again?
- Why Lindsey didn’t release another promotional video?
- Why Lindsey didn't continue with this band?

Regards! Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 114346345.jpg (12.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I remember getting this album so well! I had just graduated from high school at the beginning of June 1992. I bought the album with some of the money I got for graduation.

At that point, I usually went to a record store once a week. We had Camelot and NRM in the local mall. I preferred NRM. I knew OOTC was being released at least a month before it happened. I anticipated it SO much. It was the first new solo album LB released since I became a fan.

I couldn't tell you how many times I listened to OOTC over and over. I'd say I listened to it every day that summer and throughout my first year of college. I used to sit outside after classes and do my work while listening to OOTC on my Walkman.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Senior Ledgie

I agree with you about the keyboard in "Surrender The Rain" and "You & I"!! That can be found in another thread somewhere about Lindsey's "recycled" bits and pieces! I love stuff like that! It's like a puzzle sometimes, trying to solve where that odd little familiar piece is from And OOTC and Go Insane are quite possible my 2 favorites as well!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok.....so I remember getting into solo Lindsey. The first 2 albums I was highly disappointed with. Which was a shame cause I loved him with FM. so coming to this album, my expectations were non-existent. I was blown away. This album to started a tremendous 3 album run. OOTC through GOS I loved Every single song, save for This is the time. To me he has not bettered this album. OOTC is still number 1 in my heart

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 06-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

My favorite of all his albums. All the way through without skipping a song. It is perfect. Followed closely by Gift of Screws.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OOTC is a PERFECT album

Very hot on it's heels is SWS
Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Hi there! We’re near to another anniversary of the release of Out Of The Cradle, first studio album of Lindsey after his departure from Fleetwood Mac, and I want to make a thread with my own opinion about my favourite Lindsey's album (then Go Insane, I think...). And, obviously, I invite you to discuss what do you think...
I can start telling you that I found this album by casual circunstances, watching first the video of Countdown on utube. Then I heard the rest of the songs, and wow, they’re wonderful!
enjoyed your analysis! i'll try to fill in what i think of some of the songs:

01. & 02. Instrumental Introduction - Don't look down: one of my top 3 songs on this album

03. & 04. Wrong and Countdown: i love Wrong video and all it's quirks... but not my favorite song to listen to... same with singing parts of countdown although i do enjoy the guitar, especially that one Letterman performance.

05. All my sorrows: nah. LB seems to love this song.

06. Soul Drifter: unlike most other people, i do not like this song (musically). i always skip it.

07. & 08. Instrumental Introduction - This is the Time: love it - as you said, rock on! especially those guitar battles that were a part of OOTC tour!

09. You do or you don't: i love this song - and BTLH. but my favorite parts of this one vs BTLH are different.

10. Street of Dreams: i know it's extremely personal for LB... but nah for me, sorry.

11. & 12. Spoken Introduction - Surrender the Rain:another one i'm not crazy about and diasagree with most other LB fans it seems.

13. Doing what I can: love the beat. and agree with the dance beat.

14. Turn it on: absolutely LOVE this one. so glad he brought it back out during last year's tour. possibly my favorite song on the album.

15. & 16. This nearly was mine – Say We’ll Meet Again: eh.

so i guess in conclusion, i'm not nearly as big on OOTC as everybody else seems to be. to me SWS and GOS are my number 1 and 2 LB albums. but i am probably biased b/c SWS is the only one that came out since i've been a fan.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this is my favorite solo cd /LP of his also. It really flows nicely. I wonder if there were any outtake songs from this LP? Like Stevie has many that don't make it I just wonder if anyone has heard about outtakes/alternates for songs from OOTC ? Thanks
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OUT OF THE CRADLE.

For lot of fans, maybe the Best Lindsey's solo album! And definitely my favourite too!!

Here's the "Soul Drifter" video (sorry, I can't put it well!! )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaQD01pRzkg
Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Still one of my very favorite albums ever! Surrender the Rain is my favorite, no question. Although I absolutely love Soul Drifter, Countdown and Say We'll Meet Again. It's just such a brilliant album, happy birthday OoTC nonetheless!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I listened to it last night for the first time in a bit. Still a wonderful album, which he has not topped, IMO it was my antidote after SWS Happy Birthday

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 06-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Happy Birthday, OOTC!! Thank you for all of the years of enjoyment!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So, once again I forgot that on June 16th was the 21st Birthday of OOTC.
Anyway, I'm so...proud? to say that it's definitely my favourite solo album of Lindsey Buckingham, and it's an inspiration for me since I discovered it. Every time I listened to it, I blow my mind with those words & music of a very amazing singer and songwriter.
I absolutely love it!!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Ledgie

It's by far my favourite Lindsey album. You can hear the hallmarks of 'Tango In The Night' throughout the songwriting and the production, so the solo album he spoke about that morphed into 'Tango' was no doubt carried over to 'Out Of The Cradle'. It's his most accessible album with the strongest pop melodies, but there are still enough signature left-of-centre Lindsey choices, not least of which was the instrumental introductions, that clearly signal this is a guitarist's record. It still makes for a dynamic listen. I've always had a soft spot for 'Soul Drifter', which feels like a less cheesy take on the rhythms used on 'You And I (Part II)', and the opening to 'Countdown' always reminded me of an ABBA song, positioning it firmly within a canon of classic pop songs. Other favourites are 'Doing What I Can', 'Surrender The Rain' and 'Wrong', but I could happily list the whole album.

I agree that he is yet to top 'Out Of The Cradle', although it's fair to say that Lindsey hasn't crafted an album that is as self-consciously accessible as this one before or since. The videos were all very good too, showing off a handsomely middle-aged Lindsey drenched in some lovely early 90s MTV work, ie. lots of sepia and natural tones!

x
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Still far and away his master work

Mick

-Tom Waits