Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Friends (Not the TV show)

Has anyone looked at their friends and wondered why they talk to these people? I don't think my friends are bad, I just feel like I have next to nothing in common with them. The few really good friends I have made since I've been in Austin have all moved clear across the country, and I inevitably lose touch. It looks like another one might be moving to New York. I'm depressed.

I'm bored. Entertain me?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Red face just a few thoughts

I actually have a lot of friends that I don't have much in common with. I have a large eclectic group of people that i enjoy hanging out with. I actually prefer the differences between all of us, because it gives everyone something to offer. i think sometimes it is good to have friends that you have a lot in common with too, but I find that tends to get boring when someone likes everything that you like. It just makes for interesting arguments and banter. Much like many of the posts here on The Ledge.

I have battled that "best friend/moving away" thing all my life. I have moved around so much and made SO many "best" friends. I have one right now, my roomate, who is the probably the best friend I had in years...but I'm moving to New Zealand later in the year and will have to leave the physical closeness of the friendship behind. You can't live your life for your friends, unfortunately...

BRANDoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas
Has anyone looked at their friends and wondered why they talk to these people? I don't think my friends are bad, I just feel like I have next to nothing in common with them. The few really good friends I have made since I've been in Austin have all moved clear across the country, and I inevitably lose touch. It looks like another one might be moving to New York. I'm depressed.

I'm bored. Entertain me?

Last edited by mylittledemon; 03-16-2006 at 10:42 PM..
Old 03-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

sorry to hear about that. my very best friend moved away about three months ago. i miss her more than i can say.

that said, a short time ago, i made a conscious decision to only hang out with, go out with, share my time with people i trust, have fun with, feel good with. as much as i hate cliches with a passion... you can't choose your family, but you can choose your friends. choose wisely. if someone is toxic, or making your life miserable, taking and not giving, or just plain boring - lose them.

good luck -

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Has anyone looked at their friends and wondered why they talk to these people?
Sort of. I'm graduating from high school this year and during the pasdt few days, I've just been realizing how READY I am to graduate. I just feel so much older than these people I guess. More mature...
Old 03-17-2006, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:

I'm bored. Entertain me?
Sorry, Markolas. Yeah, I realized that. i actually stopped hanging out with that friend. I mean, she's great, it's just boring for me. All my good friends (uh...all 2 of them? *excluding fabulous ledgies*) live in different towns. It does suck, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I may be alone a lot, and won't really have friends to do in town things with. I could be really, really lonely, but I choose not to think about it. Luckily, I usually have too much to do. It's "too much" because I'm pretty lazy.

With dull friends, or friends you have nothing in common with - I always think - "could I be having more fun by myself right now?" and the answer is usually yes. So I leave. My one "friend" used to make fun of me cause I'd go with her to people's houses, or out, or whatever, and often leave. Just walk my ass home. Or I'd bring my rollerblades places with her for the inevitable quick exit.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 03-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I'm lucky enough to have a good eclectic mix. My closest friends I have a ton in common with (including Stevie/Mac fandom) and a nice bunch of pals with varied interests.

Does anyone else find that there is a common thread with their relationships, friends and otherwise? I find that I'm drawn to "strong" people. No whiners, no cry-babies, no victims. People that look after themselves I just tend to have more respect for.

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I think I'm lucky enough to have a good eclectic mix. My closest friends I have a ton in common with (including Stevie/Mac fandom) and a nice bunch of pals with varied interests.

Does anyone else find that there is a common thread with their relationships, friends and otherwise? I find that I'm drawn to "strong" people. No whiners, no cry-babies, no victims. People that look after themselves I just tend to have more respect for.
All my friends are really pretty, and exceptionally nice

They are different otherwise, though. At one time I had like, 6 friends and none of them could've really successfully hung out together. It was weird. I need a separate kind of person for every personality and interest.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 03-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
All my friends are really pretty, and exceptionally nice

They are different otherwise, though. At one time I had like, 6 friends and none of them could've really successfully hung out together. It was weird. I need a separate kind of person for every personality and interest.
Isn't that funny that there are some friends that you just know won't jive and shouldn't mix? And others that you can't wait for them to meet?

My tightest group of friends is an interesting melange of ages, personalities, backgrounds and sexual orientation. And there's only 5 of us. Its great - like a Benetton ad!! Maybe Angelina will adopt us.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Isn't that funny that there are some friends that you just know won't jive and shouldn't mix? And others that you can't wait for them to meet?

My tightest group of friends is an interesting melange of ages, personalities, backgrounds and sexual orientation. And there's only 5 of us. Its great - like a Benetton ad!! Maybe Angelina will adopt us.

That sounds fun. And it's so very Aquarius.
I'm really a "one best friend" type of person by nature, but when you grow up that doesn't work out as well.
Actually, i didn't know they shouldn't mix, I thought they would mix, but they didn't mix at all. And all of them have a lot of friends, and can get along with tons of people. So the whole thing is really bizarre. I'm like the fulcrum on which other people with tons of friends balance, but never cross. Okay, that was lame, sorry.

Last edited by amber; 03-17-2006 at 02:21 AM..
Old 03-17-2006, 02:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That sounds fun. And it's so very Aquarius.
I'm really a "one best friend" type of person by nature, but when you grow up that doesn't work out as well.
Actually, i didn't know they shouldn't mix, I thought they would mix, but they didn't mix at all. And all of them have a lot of friends, and can get along with tons of people. So the whole thing is really bizarre. I'm like the fulcrum on which other people with tons of friends balance, but never cross. Okay, that was lame, sorry.
So would that make you the friend "hub", yet the friends are like the opposite sides of magnets? This should be documented...researched even! It makes no freakin' sense.

See I've got a pretty good read on you and I think if, instead, you're not the hub and drawn in instead to an existing nucleus, then all will gel. So when are you moving to Calgary?

Old 03-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
So would that make you the friend "hub", yet the friends are like the opposite sides of magnets? This should be documented...researched even! It makes no freakin' sense.

See I've got a pretty good read on you and I think if, instead, you're not the hub and drawn in instead to an existing nucleus, then all will gel. So when are you moving to Calgary?
Ah, I think you're right. Except I don't usually like hardly any of my friends' friends. So I guess you're wrong?

My moving date is August seventy twelfth. Yeah, I'm trying to move to warmer places, not colder.

I can't pay attention to five people at once! But I definitely wish all my Mac friends lived here.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ah, I think you're right. Except I don't usually like hardly any of my friends' friends. So I guess you're wrong?

My moving date is August seventy twelfth. Yeah, I'm trying to move to warmer places, not colder.

I can't pay attention to five people at once! But I definitely wish all my Mac friends lived here.
Ah, but YOU are the one that is wrong, Otter, because you know me AND Danny AND we're Mac fans AND we're aweosme AND you think so too. And the other 3 are Mac fans. Is that not Utopia? Before we all went out last weekend we did Jaeg shots whilst listening to EO17, Red Rocks style. Mmm-hmm.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Ah, but YOU are the one that is wrong, Otter, because you know me AND Danny AND we're Mac fans AND we're aweosme AND you think so too. And the other 3 are Mac fans. Is that not Utopia? Before we all went out last weekend we did Jaeg shots whilst listening to EO17, Red Rocks style. Mmm-hmm.
I can't believe you have four mac friends. Okay, I'll move. I dream of getting ready to go out with my cool friends as Stevie is blaring and we're all singing really loud.
You have to have a shot of Yaeger waiting for me, though, because if you're all going to talk at once, and you will - I can tell - I'm going to need it.
I really can't believe you have that many mac friends. I mean, how the hell did that happen? I can't, and have never been able to, get one person I like to like mac. Oh, there was that one girl, she liked SS. That's hardly a "mac friend" though. Hmm, I wasn't before, but now I'm lonely and jealous.... Better sing some stevie, quick!

Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't believe you have four mac friends. Okay, I'll move. I dream of getting ready to go out with my cool friends as Stevie is blaring and we're all singing really loud.
You have to have a shot of Yaeger waiting for me, though, because if you're all going to talk at once, and you will - I can tell - I'm going to need it.
I really can't believe you have that many mac friends. I mean, how the hell did that happen? I can't, and have never been able to, get one person I like to like mac. Oh, there was that one girl, she liked SS. That's hardly a "mac friend" though. Hmm, I wasn't before, but now I'm lonely and jealous.... Better sing some stevie, quick!
Actually, I'm lucky to have 6 Mac friends. That was just for that particular evening.
Have you bought your plane ticket yet?

Y'know, now that I think about it, that is pretty freakin' weird that I know so many Mac fans. Well, 2 were successful conversions, but 4 are originals, so yeah, I can't explain the rest of it. Oh there was twirling last weekend. And if I'm lucky, there'll be twirling this weekend too. See, if you come here, you get all the Jaeg shots you want AND you'll get a turn to talk.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Actually, I'm lucky to have 6 Mac friends. That was just for that particular evening.
Have you bought your plane ticket yet?

Y'know, now that I think about it, that is pretty freakin' weird that I know so many Mac fans. Well, 2 were successful conversions, but 4 are originals, so yeah, I can't explain the rest of it. Oh there was twirling last weekend. And if I'm lucky, there'll be twirling this weekend too. See, if you come here, you get all the Jaeg shots you want AND you'll get a turn to talk.

You're getting too much of the universe's blessing.

That is really strange, dude. I bet not one other person on this board can say the same, unless they met the people through some mac avenue. I bet no one person has that many mac friends in their area that they can actually do things with.
Oh, good story - I'm volunteering at Earthjustice, right, for my work experience requirement and cause I want to work there. So, I had my 27 dollar Stevie Nicks OSOTM tour water bottle out the other day at EJ. The guy who is giving me things to do is all: "I love your water bottle!" and I was like "huh"? because I had an organic farming coffee cup thingy next to it. And he's all "no, the Stevie Nicks one! that is great!"
and then he's all "we have quite a few rabid Stevie fans here" ( ) and he goes on "There was this one guy, he doesn't work here any more, but I guess Stevie was in Vegas? [I nod that she was] And he spent alllllll this money to be in the front row at her show!"
My point is, it was meant to be.