User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
This may be true, but Bob Welch's experience with soul music in the 60s definitely helped him shape vocal arrangements. You can hear interesting harmonies on "Lay it All Down," "Future Games," "The Ghost," and of course "Sentimental Lady"--and none of these appear to have been shaped or guided by Kirwan's hand. In fact, the presence of harmonies increases once Kirwan leaves.
My only point was that Danny introduced that element to the band, as further proof of his impact on Mac history (and not that he was the ringleader in each instance of it). The others in the front line all added substantially, that goes without saying. Bob was a master of it, like you said, having that expansive and unique rock & soul & funk background to tap from. Not sure if it really increases after Kirwan's departure, considering the Kiln House example from early on, but it certainly didn't decrease!

Christine always found it harder to work directly with Danny, so that may attribute to the seeming tailing off you're perceiving (she was also not as sure of herself, or her place, as she was later). We have to remember, Kirwan came to FM for Peter, and not Christie or Jeremy - or to front the unit! His only true failing in the group was not being able to go front and center with confidence, shades of Green and Spencer before him. Varying degrees of insecurity got to them all, much of it drug or substance fueled. Kirwan was also innately shy and reserved (except with the guitar), which didn't help -- nor did the abrupt departure of his mentor Green.

Danny also kept the great instrumental card on the table after Peter left. Welch and Weston kept it alive during their tenures, but I'm drawing a blank as to whether Buckingham added much to it, or at all. I remember Stephanie from B&N, but surely there was more. Someone set me straight!

The Mac kind of lost me somewhere around Tusk city (and beyond). Not fully mind you, they still turned out some pleasant (and at times inspired) stuff, just as a willing accomplice.

Last edited by snoot; 12-14-2008 at 05:49 PM..
Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
Welch and Weston kept it alive during their tenures, but I'm drawing a blank as to whether Buckingham added much to it, or at all. I remember Stephanie from B&N, but surely there was more. Someone set me straight!
Well, not much, but I guess Teen Beat.

Michele
Old 12-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, not much, but I guess Teen Beat.

Michele
Ah we're making progress. Michele to the rescue!

Good to know there is something left of the tradition right into the B&N era. I also like your Christy quote from earlier. Says a lot, and directly from the source!
Old 12-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Compilation only I now see

Oh no, I see it never made it onto an original release! That appears to mean the great instrumental bonus track went down with Welch. Noooooooooooo.

Lindsey, for gawd's sake, do something about this before it's too late!
(wonder if he ever stops in here for pointers).
Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default mystery revisited

It took me a couple of days to have time to focus on this Album
This is my take:
Well I will send in next transmission

back in a momentEmerld Eyes: pop song Bad choice for first cut. Probably what made it get few listens when it was released\

Believe Me soft rock, nice no substance

Just crazy Love nice song with no guitar solo when band finally gets groove

Hypnotized: best song on Album, should have been First cut topical reference to Scientology, Budism, Carlos Castenada, which begs the question of if Bob was taken in by any or all of above.

Forever, pseudo Rasta beat breaks into nice groove and back. Aimless

Keep on Going, Take off on Masquerade by George Benson. Without groove of Bensons tune

The City. Take off on Don Nix’s Going Down, a lot of riffing but no gut when it counted at the end

Miles Away, Messrs McVie and Fleetwood do a solid on this and band grooves, second good song throughout. Brings back another reference to Carlos Casteneda.. Might Welch have been hypnotized.

Somebody: This song appears to be a screed aimed at Peter Green. Awhile back I read on Welch’s website his encounters with Green. I sense animosity turned into contempt. Song is not memorable in any event.

The way I Feel. Another pop song

For Your Love not a straight cover, song can’t make up its mind. So so

Why: third good song, starts off with a nice slide part. A cross between Showbiz Blues and Ry Cooder’s rendition of Vigilante Man. Then the song shfts to Christine showing her possibilities.

Last edited by doodyhead; 12-15-2008 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: forgot text
Old 12-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Take off on Masquerade by George Benson. Without groove of Bensons tune
Ummm...Leon Russell wrote "This Masquerade", not Benson.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default mea culpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Ummm...Leon Russell wrote "This Masquerade", not Benson.
you are right, but I was thinking of Bensons version.

I could have said Freddie King's Going Down....still the best by anyone.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default No surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
It took me a couple of days to have time to focus on this Album
This is my take:
Oh boo hoo to pop. Vinnie, you and your pop aversions! Well at least I'll give you credit for sitting down and spinning 'er up. Must have been like going to the dentist though. At least you see a few shining flourishes! Emerald Eyes was hardly a bad choice for first cut, and MTM got plenty of listens by the Mac devoted when it was released -- where were you back then? Oh yeah, lost in the blues. Hypnotized was too good a song to open the disc with. You kinda build up to a climax, ya know?

The City, a lot of riffing but no gut when it counted at the end

Well then enjoy the early talk box guitar novelty. That riffing is great, only a blues fanatic couldn't appreciate it.

"Animosity bordering on contempt"? Welch has and holds nothing against Green! He always points to Peter's brilliant guitar takes (though he does state Kirwan pretty much matched it - could that be the issue here?). Kindly want to furnish a few quotes to back up yer accusation? Inquiring minds would love to see them.

Your read of Why is good though. That slide is Bob Weston, who also arranged the song (later converted to strings nearly note for note, sans Weston credit). Great CM composition for sure.

Keep on Going, Take off on Masquerade by George Benson. Without groove of Bensons tune.

Uh, hate to ring your bell big boy, but how can that be a rip-off of Benson's Masquerade when it was recorded + released 3 years prior? Maybe Benson was ripping off Welch, eh! Groove-wise, Masquerade burns no brighter imo.

So 3/12 = 1/4 good. I'll say it again, getouttahere!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default which came first

Quote:
where were you back then? Oh yeah, lost in the blues. Hypnotized was too good a song to open the disc with. You kinda build up to a climax, ya know?

The City, a lot of riffing but no gut when it counted at the end

Well then enjoy the early talk box guitar novelty. That riffing is great, only a blues fanatic couldn't appreciate it.

"Animosity bordering on contempt"? Welch has and holds nothing against Green! He always points to Peter's brilliant guitar takes (though he does state Kirwan pretty much matched it - could that be the issue here?). Kindly want to furnish a few quotes to back up yer accusation? Inquiring minds would love to see them.

Your read of Why is good though. That slide is Bob Weston, who also arranged the song (later converted to strings nearly note for note, sans Weston credit). Great CM composition for sure.

Keep on Going, Take off on Masquerade by George Benson. Without groove of Bensons tune.

Uh, hate to ring your bell big boy, but how can that be a rip-off of Benson's Masquerade when it was recorded + released 3 years prior? Maybe Benson was ripping off Welch, eh! Groove-wise, Masquerade burns no brighter imo.

So 3/12 = 1/4 good. I'll say it again, getouttahere!
Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has them

lyrics to "Somebodt"
Don't think your dreams are sane
They're taking over your life
I stuck to you but I found out
That you was the crazy kind
Now way inside your heart
Do you have a grain of love for me
'Cause all I see is decadence
And the end of everything

You can bend over backwards
I ain't gonna kiss your ring
Somebody

I looked into your eyes
And saw a real bad thing
I saw desires that burned in you
The need for power to be a king
And I saw that you would use this world
You know you might have to crawl
But it's one of my eyes for one of yours
And you'll never get no love at all

what do you think?

as far a s which came first. I did not check the dates but that is hardly relevant to what they sound like. comparing two pop songs is judged by which gets airplay. "truly the work of the devil" and if it were true that Benson got inspiration from Welch...thats good aint it? Benson moved into the Pop realm too. Oh Well
There are thousands of incredibly gifted musicians. I don't trash em. It does not mean that everything they do is gold. I have heard all stars play badly together.

doodyhead

as far as "getoutahere" I wish you would stop saying that unless you mean it in the "brooklyn sense"
Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lost in The Blues

Quote:
where were you back then? Oh yeah, lost in the blues.
Dear Snoot,

in 1973 I was a working musician in a "blues band". The blues boom had subsided and I got a day job. I never stopped listening to music. My tastes evolved. I don't know what you remember of the 60's and 70's but Fleetwood mac was not on the top of everybody's musical tastes in any era including PG to B/N to poor dave mason.
The pop event of the non music side of FM has obviously had a wilder ride

I am still a musician and I do respect the abilities of Bob Welch and Mr Weston.

taste is relative when it comes to how a song is presented

doodyhead